Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 07:30 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
yes

and I also understand something smells not right about that case
so this is what we call "tort." civil court. likely resolved with massive amounts of money changing hands.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:34 PM

i am still trying to understand why the person was not criminally charged. Maybe sun in the drivers eyes? maybe the bike was occluded by a tree? etc etc etc

simply saying would like to know more about the decision and the logic not the charge the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
do you understand that criminal liability and civil liability are totally different things?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
i am still trying to understand why the person was not criminally charged. Maybe sun in the drivers eyes? maybe the bike was occluded by a tree? etc etc etc

simply saying would like to know more about the decision and the logic not the charge the driver.
that road runs North/South.. and at 2:30pm the sun is bothering no one.(I know the road well) Driver should be charged with something.. Distracted driving, involuntary manslaughter .. picking his nose...
Old 09-24-2021, 08:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Maybe sun in the drivers eyes?
That's hardly an exculpatory reason - if the conditions are adverse (e.g. the sun's in your eyes) you drive accordingly.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:57 PM
The B!

Quote:
that road runs North/South.. and at 2:30pm the sun is bothering no one.(I know the road well) Driver should be charged with something.. Distracted driving, involuntary manslaughter .. picking his nose...
apparently according to the laws of this land, no crime was committed. you want someone charged with a "something" crime?

"ahh man... that kid sobbing over there because a bee stung him and he veered off the road and killed someone... goddamnit he didnt actually commit any crimes, but we all feel like he should go to prison anyway... lets charge him with 1 count of First Degree Something, cuz anyone who makes a mistake that shakes my comfort needs to go to prison."

**** is wrong with you, dude? thats not how our legal system works. we got a thing called due process - and you should thank god is protects you as well as this kid.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:19 PM

I'm 100% sure there is a code in Ca about driving in a bike lane..

if he got stung by a bee then.. well lets hear it then ? No we get nothing instead.
Crime ? maybe, maybe not. Probably wasn't even ticketed and still driving around.

He's 22.. no longer a kid.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:33 PM
The B!

Quote:
I'm 100% sure there is a code in Ca about driving in a bike lane..

if he got stung by a bee then.. well lets hear it then ? No we get nothing instead.
Crime ? maybe, maybe not. Probably wasn't even ticketed and still driving around.

He's 22.. no longer a kid.
veering into a bike lane isnt "driving in a bike lane." but for all any of us know, he was cited for a moving violation. as to "lets hear it" - you arent involved, arent entitled to answers, and especially not to questions you havent even asked: call the DA's office and ask.

Last edited by Dead Man; 09-24-2021 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 09-24-2021, 10:09 PM

Is deadman the 22 yo's lawyer?
Old 09-24-2021, 10:16 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Maybe he's the bouncer:

Old 09-25-2021, 05:04 AM

pretty sure the Dead Man is not representing the dead man. I rest my case.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
veering into a bike lane isn't "driving in a bike lane." but for all any of us know, he was cited for a moving violation. as to "lets hear it" - you aren't involved, aren't entitled to answers, and especially not to questions you haven't even asked: call the DA's office and ask.
Gotta agree here. The info we are getting is from the 'news' and this bike forum. We, collectively, aren't involved in any way so don't know the particulars of this case. Guy gets hit by car...this is not an automatic, should NOT be, Charge, CONVICT!!..as deadman said, Due Process.
Quote:
Driver should be charged with something.. Distracted driving, involuntary manslaughter .. picking his nose...
Quote:
lets charge him with 1 count of First Degree Something, cuz anyone who makes a mistake that shakes my comfort needs to go to prison."
Quote:
and I also understand something smells not right about that case
You do, eh? 'Understand"??

Smacks of other, really dark times in the US' past when the 'word' gets out and the pitch forks and torches come out and the 'mob' starts looking for a tree.

Like deadman said, if you really want to know, call the DA, hire a lawyer, use the 'system' to find out more..

It's tragic that a guy got hit by a car while riding and was killed. Whether or not he's on a bike doesn't make it any better or worse.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:59 AM

Yes. Agree with DM and Spud. We know little to nothing about the investigation and facts. Occams Razor says the prosecutor is honest and made an appropriate use of discretion. Of course he could be biased or corrupt, but we have no facts available to support any of that. The driver could be haunted for life by this, which is punishment enough if he made a simple non-reckless mistake.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
Fingers crossed for a quick roll-out of autonomous cars smart enough to not plow down cyclists.
^^This, in spades.

I so much look forward to buying one myself, so that driving at night won't be so excruciating.

I'm thinking 10-15 years, but Tesla-driving friends say their cars sort of drive themselves (though wouldn't admit to dozing off).
Old 09-25-2021, 02:50 PM

It’s quite quaint to see so many posters have faith in the ‘system’
Old 09-25-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
It’s quite quaint to see so many posters have faith in the ‘system’

I certainly have no faith that the system would not be biased for the car driver except possibly in the most egregious incidents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk