Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Took many years to arrive here. Drip machine, Press Pot, Stove top espresso, then to a super auto, Rocket heat exchanger and finally landed at the double boiler. Gotta love the jouney. Just enjoy the process of making espresso ( or any coffee for that matter) every morning. Here is my bench setup. My go to bean for espresso is Gran Miscela Carmo Espresso Blend. Check it out here

https://www.caffelusso.com/coffee/espresso/

Travel setup - Aero Press and Porlex grinder. Electric kettle comes along if road trip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LM GS3.jpg (36.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbd View Post

For regular coffee, I've got a French press, aeropress, kalita and now with a new baby went auto with a mochamaster technivorm. Kalita takes the cake for best non-espresso cup in my view, when time permits.
Always thought the downfall of the moccamaster was the shower head. Recently came across this. Custom shower head sprays then entire coffee bed, better water distribution.

https://www.artisansmith.com.au/prod...or-moccamaster
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteiker View Post
Took many years to arrive here. Drip machine, Press Pot, Stove top espresso, then to a super auto, Rocket heat exchanger and finally landed at the double boiler. Gotta love the jouney. Just enjoy the process of making espresso ( or any coffee for that matter) every morning. Here is my bench setup. My go to bean for espresso is Gran Miscela Carmo Espresso Blend. Check it out here

https://www.caffelusso.com/coffee/espresso/

Travel setup - Aero Press and Porlex grinder. Electric kettle comes along if road trip
Damn dude. Did you pick up that Gs3 new?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM

I've got a Gaggia Classic that I added PID, really helped my consistency. Also use a chemex and french press regularly and once in a while the aeropress comes back out. I've got two Baratza grinders I forget which one I use for pour over and press, and the 270 for my espresso. I'll eventually get a machine with an E61 in it I think but I'm enjoying the Gaggia for now quite a bit.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Always thought the downfall of the moccamaster was the shower head. Recently came across this. Custom shower head sprays then entire coffee bed, better water distribution.

https://www.artisansmith.com.au/prod...or-moccamaster
I like the idea, but for $75 you have got to be kidding me. I'm also not convinced you'd taste much, if any, difference in the cup. Especially on the slow flow setting, the mochamaster is really as much of an immersion brewer as straight drip, especially if you give it a quick post-bloom stir with a $0 teaspoon. IMHO this makes precise water distribution less important than other brew methods. Having said all that, if they sold a $20 version I'd own it by now because I'm a sucker for coffee gear...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM

Ugh I shouldnt, especially since I just got that new Peg, but damnit I am so close to putting a standard Eureka Mignon in the cart and making it happen.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:26 AM

Is there a classifieds site like paceline but for espresso machines?
THanks!
If anyone here is looking to upgrade and lives in the Boston/South Shore area, send a PM.

Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 10-16-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
Is there a classifieds site like paceline but for espresso machines?
THanks!
Yup, take a look here

https://www.home-barista.com/buysell/
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Dammit. Thanks...
Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Ugh I shouldnt, especially since I just got that new Peg, but damnit I am so close to putting a standard Eureka Mignon in the cart and making it happen.
how are reviews of those grinders?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Do it.

I became convinced along time ago that spending money an a decent espresso machine ( and decent beans) is a lessen is disappointment if you don't have a decent grinder.

I've had many friends over the years ask me for machine recommendation...I'd go through my typical flow-chart of questions, almost as if back in the shop, selling a bike....how many times a week are you riding? what kind of terrain? just riding for fitness?...etc. If I determined that they actually *needed* a decent espresso machine instead of a Melitta, I'd suggest a few machine and tell them what they'd expect to pay. It took me a few times to then remember to add... " oh and budget $300 for a decent grinder".
Old 10-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Do it.

I became convinced along time ago that spending money an a decent espresso machine ( and decent beans) is a lessen is disappointment if you don't have a decent grinder.

I've had many friends over the years ask me for machine recommendation...I'd go through my typical flow-chart of questions, almost as if back in the shop, selling a bike....how many times a week are you riding? what kind of terrain? just riding for fitness?...etc. If I determined that they actually *needed* a decent espresso machine instead of a Melitta, I'd suggest a few machine and tell them what they'd expect to pay. It took me a few times to then remember to add... " oh and budget $300 for a decent grinder".
oh I have a DECENT grinder (Breville Smart Grinder Pro) but I really think a Eureka Mignon is a big step up in the Espresso game, where the smart grinder can live on as a grinder for drip and pourover.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
how are reviews of those grinders?
Pretty damn good. and the price is right.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/eu...n-burr-grinder
Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Christ. I broke down and got a specialita today. **** my life and my debt.

OH WLEL CANT DRINK SPECIALTY COFFEE PROPERLY WHEN YOU'RE DEAD.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 PM

Well, I got the Specialita. All the reports are true. Remarkably quiet, very fast, burrs designed to last 250kg (or 14 years at my rate of drinking) perfect fluffy waterfall grinds...it's pretty much the perfect espresso-only grinder for the money. No reason to get anything else for three doubles a day on average.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso