Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Holy ****.
my thoughts exactly. The only thing in my book that tops a slayer would be a Paul Pratt restoration.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVmUYrZn...on_share_sheet
Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcovelo View Post
Of course, and you have probably already head this, the grinder is --arguably--more important than the machine. We plunked down the bread for a Ceado after running through two Barazzas (~$300) The model we had had a plastic gear, which stripped after a couple of years--twice. I got tired of replacing it. So it might pay to think about grinder longevity, too.
Is this the E5 E6 or some other machine?

Any comments on the doser and whether it makes things easier/harder?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 PM

Well, the Eureka Mignon Specialita I ordered based on this thread just arrived. First shot, without any fussing, was beautiful. This is a really nice machine. Just a little more dialing in, and it should be be a great addition to the countertop.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJoyce View Post
Well, the Eureka Mignon Specialita I ordered based on this thread just arrived. First shot, without any fussing, was beautiful. This is a really nice machine. Just a little more dialing in, and it should be be a great addition to the countertop.
The gaggia classic I ordered based on this thread might not be as impressive as some other stuff here, but I am enjoying it!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJoyce View Post

That is awesome to hear. I really love mine!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
The gaggia classic I ordered based on this thread might not be as impressive as some other stuff here, but I am enjoying it!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

If you enjoy it, that is all that matters.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:44 AM

Hey Echappist:

I believe we have the E6 model.

About a doser (dosing grinder)

We have one, and I think the thing to know is that it has to have a substantial amount of ground coffee in it to be effective (read: accurate). WIth our Ceado I would estimate that that would involve grinding enough for something like 5 double shots at an absolute minimum (probably more). And then you will need to grind more for the next shot, etc. etc.This effectively makes the dosing function irrelevant when making fewer than several double shots. Not something probably worth paying for in a home setting. On the other hand, the doser does not pose any special problem/difficulty in a home setup. It is just that the doser cannot be used as designed.

Now, if you are interested in measuring (i.e., dosing) you could always time the grinding with a watch (once you have this figured out) and then just empty the dosing chamber. Or--and this is what I have done--, with a digital scale and a little practice you can train yourself to estimate the amount of ground coffee in the filter basket with a relatively high degree of precision by sight alone (+/- ~ 2g).

If money were no object (when is it not?) a grinder with a timer would be a preferable option I think; this would allow measuring of smaller quantities of ground coffee--i.e., enough for a single double shot. In short, if you can afford it, a timed grinder is probably the way to go for a home setup.

Last edited by Marcovelo; 11-03-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcovelo View Post
Hey Echappist:

I believe we have the E6 model.

About a doser (dosing grinder)

We have one, and I think the thing to know is that it has to have a substantial amount of ground coffee in it to be effective (read: accurate). WIth our Ceado I would estimate that that would involve grinding enough for something like 5 double shots at an absolute minimum (probably more). And then you will need to grind more for the next shot, etc. etc.This effectively makes the dosing function irrelevant when making fewer than several double shots. Not something probably worth paying for in a home setting. On the other hand, the doser does not pose any special problem/difficulty in a home setup. It is just that the doser cannot be used as designed.

Now, if you are interested in measuring (i.e., dosing) you could always time the grinding with a watch (once you have this figured out) and then just empty the dosing chamber. Or--and this is what I have done--, with a digital scale and a little practice you can train yourself to estimate the amount of ground coffee in the filter basket with a relatively high degree of precision by sight alone (+/- ~ 2g).

If money were no object (when is it not?) a grinder with a timer would be a preferable option I think; this would allow measuring of smaller quantities of ground coffee--i.e., enough for a single double shot. In short, if you can afford it, a timed grinder is probably the way to go for a home setup.
Got it; thanks for the explanation

There's an on-sale E6X that i've been eyeing, but I don't drink nearly enough per day to make it worthwhile, not to mention that i may switch to decaf later on in the day. Which is too bad.

The Eureka Mignon has one model with a timer, perhaps that's what i'll end up buying. The good things is that I don't need a replacement at this very moment, so I can wait and see what deals come along.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:14 AM

Just found this website:

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/E...non-Specialita

so it's $480 shipped for the chrome model, which is ~$700 Stateside

their dual-boiler R58 is $2300 shipped. Only issue is that i won't have someone nearby to provide warranty support.

-----------------------------------

also, poured perhaps my first "semi-decent" latte art to date. going to a larger cup size (9.4 oz) helped more than anything else (old cup was barely 7 oz)

Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 AM

That’s pretty decent latte art. Better than a good percentage of shops out there. I can tell you got the milk steamed well and it truly flowed across the surface when you poured. Strong work!

Jon
Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Just found this website:

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/E...non-Specialita

so it's $480 shipped for the chrome model, which is ~$700 Stateside

their dual-boiler R58 is $2300 shipped. Only issue is that i won't have someone nearby to provide warranty support.
Aren't warranties provided by manufacturer, and not the retailer or distributor?

If they are an authorized seller, you should be able to get warranty support thru same channels as if you bought from US distributor....just my $0.02

I do get that it is more comforting to be able to just walk into a shop for problems...
Old 11-03-2018, 09:58 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Is this the E5 E6 or some other machine?

Any comments on the doser and whether it makes things easier/harder?
I will be buying a Ceado E6P very soon - after going thru numerous reviews that's the one that I feel is the best grinder at that price point.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:04 AM

Jon, thanks for the kind words. I think out of all the youtube videos, there's been one that was the most helpful in terms of cup+pitcher placement. Can't recall where I found it. I found that after watching that video, I was actually able to have the design flow on the surface, as opposed to having most of it sink under the surface and ending up with unworkable foam at the end. I think i'll need to perfect the heart a bit more, and then i could move onto the rosetta.

The coffee grinds themselves is still a bit of a grind (pun intended). Can't really get things dialed in, and shots can vary by up to 10 mL. Out of curiosity, at what time during the extraction (either relative or absolute) should the blonding occur? I think i should also set the pre-infusion a bit longer, as it's currently at 3 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Aren't warranties provided by manufacturer, and not the retailer or distributor?

If they are an authorized seller, you should be able to get warranty support thru same channels as if you bought from US distributor....just my $0.02

I do get that it is more comforting to be able to just walk into a shop for problems...
that's apparently not how it works, at least for some. I was eyeing a Ceado and was told that it's the retailer who does the servicing. Really odd. For this shop, it's just that i'd need to ship it all the way back to Italy to have it serviced, but the pricing is quite attractive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I will be buying a Ceado E6P very soon - after going thru numerous reviews that's the one that I feel is the best grinder at that price point.
very nice. keep us posted.

also, which retail outlet will you be using?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:35 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Jon, thanks for the kind words. I think out of all the youtube videos, there's been one that was the most helpful in terms of cup+pitcher placement. Can't recall where I found it. I found that after watching that video, I was actually able to have the design flow on the surface, as opposed to having most of it sink under the surface and ending up with unworkable foam at the end. I think i'll need to perfect the heart a bit more, and then i could move onto the rosetta.

The coffee grinds themselves is still a bit of a grind (pun intended). Can't really get things dialed in, and shots can vary by up to 10 mL. Out of curiosity, at what time during the extraction (either relative or absolute) should the blonding occur? I think i should also set the pre-infusion a bit longer, as it's currently at 3 seconds.

that's apparently not how it works, at least for some. I was eyeing a Ceado and was told that it's the retailer who does the servicing. Really odd. For this shop, it's just that i'd need to ship it all the way back to Italy to have it serviced, but the pricing is quite attractive

very nice. keep us posted.

also, which retail outlet will you be using?
I am having those problems with foam as well - can you track down the video and post a link?

I will probably get it from wholelattelove.com but most likely thru eBay - WLL has refurbished units listed on eBay where you can make an offer. I am holding out for eBay to have their 10% off discount and then hopefully get it for around $600.

But most likely what will happen is that I will get tired of waiting, will just purchase it thru their website - then the next day the 10% off eBay offer will show up.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Found it (one of the few occasions where having your browsing history around is helpful); it's this one

https://youtu.be/GBjHXd2yqNw?t=270

Don't pay too much attention to the steaming section, as that's machine dependent. On my machine, if i do the gurgling as short as he did, i'd get warm milk, but not a lot of foam.

Pertinent content starts ~4:30. Also at 12:30 and 19:20. Once you get that flowing foam, you are 80% home.

What worked for me was a large latte cup (or almost a shallow bowl, as @stackie puts it), and starting with pitcher+cup tilted, with pitcher 3-4 inches above. Pour for a few second, drop the pitcher to cup level; level everything out, and that's when the foam begins to flow on the surface.

Good luck & keep us posted

Last edited by echappist; 11-03-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso