Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
I briefly sat in one, on a car lot near Rodeo Drive, when I was 15. I probably would've lied and said visibility and comfort were just fine if someone had offered it to me.
At 6'1" I'm actually kind of surprised just how often I sat in a car and it was like "absolutely no way".

And that number of sporty cars that were like "absolutely no way" would actually go up a ton if I applied the yardstick of "must also be able to wear a helmet and fit".
Old 04-01-2024, 05:07 PM

BS! Per lb., bikes are more expensive.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul View Post
A 914, a GT3RS and a '71 Boss Mustang (along with the rest) in the same 20 ft. space, much less in the same building is a slice of heaven. That warehouse is where divorces are made. The death of car culture has been greatly exaggerated. Thankfully.
IMO, Bring A Trailer and the ridiculous price inflation of enthusiast cars by collectors who do not drive them is what is actively killing car culture. EVs, environmental restrictions, and the death of the manual transmission are somehow less impactful.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:25 PM

The amount rebuild done to that car at relatively low miles speaks volumes. Either it's been driven hard, had quality issues out of the box, or (more likely) both.

Which I guess doesn't mean much on a half-million dollar icon, but still.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:23 AM

I do love cars. My birthday car is out of reach for me, a 57 Chevy Nomad.

I find it funny that a high end bicycle costs as much as a motorcycle. Love both and have both.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
IMO, Bring A Trailer and the ridiculous price inflation of enthusiast cars by collectors who do not drive them is what is actively killing car culture. EVs, environmental restrictions, and the death of the manual transmission are somehow less impactful.
This x 1000.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
This x 1000.
Yea, as someone who is in the market for something fun to tinker with, I agree.

I saw just a beautiful air cooled turbo porsche at the local coffee shop while I was out riding this weekend and it struck me that this is a really expensive car right now, how can you feel comfortable really driving such a car? Are these things insured to their replacement value? What does that cost?

I think I need to start looking in actual barns on properties where the internet has not yet reached.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:31 AM

Bikes are still pretty cheap...

I finally got myself a toy car a couple of weeks ago.
It’s a 2011 Porsche Boxster. It may not as prestigious as a 911 or something like that, but it’s got a normally aspirated flat 6 and it’s a manual.

It’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2024, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I finally got myself a toy car a couple of weeks ago.
It’s a 2011 Porsche Boxster. It may not as prestigious as a 911 or something like that, but it’s got a normally aspirated flat 6 and it’s a manual.
Nice! Looks super clean for a 13 year old car. How many miles on the clock?
Old 04-02-2024, 07:44 AM

Bikes are still pretty cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Nice! Looks super clean for a 13 year old car. How many miles on the clock?

113,000 kms. (Canada car)

It is really clean, looks new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2024, 08:07 AM

A former coworker told me about a day he spent driving several supercars.
I think it was an Audi 8, Ferrari, Lambo and one expensive but "regular" car that got totally sup'ed up.

It was one of those adventures you pay X amount of money to experience. I have it in my head that it was gifted to him.

I do remember him telling me how the super cars were rather uncomfortable to drive and he liked the regular car the best.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:15 AM

In general I find the prices to be insanely high on BaT. Just the other day someone sold a low mileage (56K), 2003 Honda Odyssey EX for $11,500. Sorry but I dont care how hard it is to find a low mileage Odyssey, its still just a freaking Odyssey. In my world that van is worth $2500.

As an aside, BaT has lowered their bar to what is for sale (ex Odyssey) that its almost a glorified Craigslist, albeit with better photos and $$$ cars.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think this is unique to car culture. It's happening in a bunch of areas where there are a whole bunch of people buying up stuff thinking it's an investment and it's probably a giant bubble that's going to pop.

A lot of these I wonder what happens when the baby boomers have to unload their collections. They seem over represented in some of these waves.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
A former coworker told me about a day he spent driving several supercars.
I think it was an Audi 8, Ferrari, Lambo and one expensive but "regular" car that got totally sup'ed up.

It was one of those adventures you pay X amount of money to experience. I have it in my head that it was gifted to him.

I do remember him telling me how the super cars were rather uncomfortable to drive and he liked the regular car the best.
Vertically stiff, laterally stiff, uncomfortably stiff. Maybe they belong in the "Experts" thread.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:35 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
At 6'1" I'm actually kind of surprised just how often I sat in a car and it was like "absolutely no way".
And that number of sporty cars that were like "absolutely no way" would actually go up a ton if I applied the yardstick of "must also be able to wear a helmet and fit".
The one two-seater that is an exception to ^^^that is the Datsun 240Z. I'm 6'0" and I was astonished at how much leg room that car offers. Almost made me wonder how they fit the engine up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Just the other day someone sold a low mileage (56K), 2003 Honda Odyssey EX for $11,500. Sorry but I dont care how hard it is to find a low mileage Odyssey, its still just a freaking Odyssey. In my world that van is worth $2500.
If only...
I'm actually in the market for a low-mileage pre-owned Odyssey, and everything I've seen -- admittedly all much more recent model years than 2003 -- has been even higher than $11,500!

btw, last week's group ride departed from a parking lot where coincidentally the local sports car enthusiasts' club was having their monthly get-together. Lots of old and new Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis, Panteras, Corvettes, one Bricklin (!), plus a couple things I didn't even recognize. Must've been close to 50 cars all together. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I took: