Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 02:22 PM

OT Ethanol-free gasoline for lawn mowers?

I bought a gallon of this at the local NAPA store for my chainsaw (not pre-mixed, still need to add oil). Wondering if I would notice a difference in the Husky lawn mower, with a Honda engine. Thus far, put away with fuel stabilizer for 5 seasons this mower has been a champ - I just started it for the first time this year on the second pull. Will ethanol-free gasoline improve its longevity?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:27 PM

My local power equipment place was very emphatic when i bought a new mower and snowblower (yeah, that es fun to do in one year!) that ethanol free was very important. They have no dog in the fight on what gas i use and i have worked with them for 25 years so lots of trust built up.

Last edited by teleguy57; 05-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:29 PM

In my experience, yes. For most of my best 2-stroke outdoor equipment, I always ran ethanol free gas. Bigger things like lawn tractor got Techron super with a bottle of Techron every once in awhile. If you're near a marina, you can often buy ethanol free and fill up a small 3 or 5 gallon tank without getting too many questions. And you can still put fuel stabilizer in the equipment tank, just use the proper ratio. I used StarTron or Sta-bil (whichever as on the shelf).

On outdoor equipment that I was less judicious about taking care of re: good gas, no joke i destroyed 3 carbs with the crap gas that had ethanol in it. Ryobi, Echo, etc. On one Echo backpack blower, I got so frustrated after it wouldn't start I hurled it as far as it could go like a track & field hammer throw, bounced down long driveway. Neighbor had a laugh at that one. Then went out and bought a BR700 and took good care of it with good gas. Great machine, that sucker would move snow.

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-18-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:29 PM

Simply burn all the gas out of the carburetor before storing the mower for the winter.

One does what one does best.

"Life is like a bicycle.
To Keep your balance you must keep moving."
A. Einstein, Feb. 5, 1930
Old 05-18-2019, 02:59 PM

I'm the wrong guy to ask about mower maintenance.

never changed the oil in the last one, put a new spark plug in once, blew the air filter out with compressed air from a scuba tank a few times.

when it was retired (wheel assembly weld failed) after 21 years, it still started on the first/second pull.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:03 PM

that's also because they made them better 21+ years ago!

i have a few pals in the pro landscape biz and they go thru modern equipment routinely, despite regular maintenance schedules, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
I'm the wrong guy to ask about mower maintenance.

never changed the oil in the last one, put a new spark plug in once, blew the air filter out with compressed air from a scuba tank a few times.

when it was retired (wheel assembly weld failed) after 21 years, it still started on the first/second pull.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Picshooter

A lot of local gas stations around here sell Ethanol free "Recreational fuel" It's a bit more but saves in the long run. Every lawn service and boater uses it. Ethanol absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. I top off the fuel tanks and run my 4 stroke mower dry every time I use it. I push my luck with my 2 stroke edger, weedeater & blower. Ethanol is particularly hard on fuel lines. Ethanol is behind a big push toward battery powered lawn gear.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 PM

You can't buy gasoline without ethanol in many areas. The best you can do is buy premium, with ethanol. With a big lawn tractor, two walk behind mowers and two gas powered string trimmers, l go through a lot of gas. I've had no problems. I do use fuel stabilizer at the end of the season and leave little in the tanks, so new fuel can be added in the spring.

My lawn tractor gets used in the winter as a snow blower, so it gets at least one tank full with stabilizer.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 PM

OT Ethanol-free gasoline for lawn mowers?

I’m surprised it’s hard to find in some places. Both gas stations down the street from me offer it and that’s been my experience in Canada generally. I use it in all my carbureted engines.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 PM

If you have access to ethanol free gas, might as well use it.

Ethanol is incompatible with the most common form of rubber seals, is a good solvent for some things that gas isn't such a good solvent for, and it can contribute to the corrosion of some metals including aluminum and brass.

It's completely expected that some people have no issue using 10% ethanol fuel while other people have issues. Safest thing to do is avoid it if you don't have an engine that you know was specifically designed to accommodate it.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:42 PM

ask around your town there is probably a gas station selling pure gasoline. We have a couple that cater to the historic car crowd. Also I found that the gasoline stabilizer (which your 2-cycle oil may already contain) is helpful with all the storage across seasons.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:49 PM

never seen a need. regular gas works fine for me
Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM

In my experience my lawn mowers have taken my neglect without any noticeable affect, leave regular gas in all winter, and each has lasted 20 and 10 plus years and both still going strong. However, my snow blower leaks like a sieve. Still runs great but its now I only put in enough gas to do the driveway, any left will leak out. This is probably the result of ethanol.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:16 PM

The big difference seems to be 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. 2 stroke carburators are sensitive. The larger / lower (suction) pressures of 4 stroke make you get away with a lot of abuse. At least that's what I attribute it to.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
The big difference seems to be 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. 2 stroke carburators are sensitive. The larger / lower (suction) pressures of 4 stroke make you get away with a lot of abuse. At least that's what I attribute it to.
^^^This. I use premix for 2 stroke, I used regular gas in my Honda mower for 15 years, started every Spring on first or second pull, whether I drained the tank or not. I always tried to empty it, though. If the self propelling part was fixable, I'd still have it. I went battery electric on most everything except my Stihl chain saw and Mantis tiller. No regrets.

Last edited by zmudshark; 05-18-2019 at 07:48 PM.