Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Arthritis in wrists

Well, old age finally caught up to me and I now officially have arthritis in both wrists. Lumps on both wrists are the only outward evidence. I'd like your collective wisdom. How is anyone else dealing with it? For instance, are you using specific gloves or handlebar tape? I move my hands around on the handlebar but thought you folks could provide good ideas.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:38 PM
commuter racer

Good question as my right wrist has been throbbing after rides. I’d recommended fat tires and comfy wheels..
Old 05-17-2019, 03:12 PM

I've got it and it will only progress. First, I take 15mg of Meloxicam each morning. Second, I changed to wider (46cm) bars with flared, shallow drops. I double tape the drops to increase the diameter and make them cushy. In the drops my wrists are in a more natural position.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:22 PM

mine is my thumbs

been on Meloxicam for a couple of years. then recently got cortisone in each thumb joint. been much better since then. and now Diclofenac gel 2x per day on each thumb joint area.

latest is moving to a new Di2 bike. i'd been thinking that hanging my hands around the hoods and doing mechanical shifting a zillion times per ride, especially up the cassette and up the crank, was causing me to have to put leverage pressure on my thumb joints. braking from the hoods too. Di2 and hydro disc way easier on these old hands.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:26 PM

I'd guess that bars high enough to get almost all the weight off your hands would help a lot.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:27 PM

same here, though thankfully not as extreme.

After a broken right wrist years ago left that side less dominant ( was taught at least to be right handed as a child) I started noticing my using my left these past few years more and more often. ( which i think is actually my dominant hand )

Then after a small spill off a mtb ride landing on my left side nearly breaking my left wrist, ive been dealing with alot of discomfort during and after bike rides

Di2 might be a great idea for those who struggle with shifting. +1 for the fatter tires and cush bar tape

stay healthy folks
Old 05-17-2019, 04:45 PM

Have long term wrist issues and help manage with the following:

- Little to no saddle to bar drop
- Ensure saddle setback is proper (test that I can hover over my bars without engaging my core heavily so I know I am not weighting my wrists)
- Bars with a little flare like the Cowbells help me maintain comfort when I use my drops - I like the angle better as the flare feels more natural
- Bars like the Cowbells that are short and shallow ensure I am not reaching to deep in my drops so I can still use them a lot
- Fizik gel pads, a roll of cloth tape and a roll of finish tape for comfy bars (and I prefer leather gloves or driving gloves with no additional padding)

Beyond that, fat tires are nice and I spend most my time on Road32s, but a more upright fit and good balance goes a long way.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 AM

My issue is thumbs. Had surgery on right thumb in 2017. Works much better and I use right hand more frquently. All ideas listed thus far are great and I have tried most of them. I ride mostly on top of bar so I am more upright. On one bike I have gel pads which are awesome. I also shake my hands often which seems to help a bit. I suck at wrapping bars and I really suck when wrapping over gel pads.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Does the bike with gel pads work better? May try custom cutting yourself https://www.rehab-store.com/p-rolyan...oaAqjZEALw_wcB