Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 PM

New DJI OSMO Action cam - Gopro killer?

New action camera released today and available to customers within the next week. The specs look amazing. Video footage is on par with Go pro. Not as warm in color, but nothing massive or that couldn't be edited in post. Stability is amazing. They refer to it as "Rock steady" and when side by side with the Gopro 7, the stabilization of the DJI is noticeably better!

The BIG winner for DJI is that is has a front facing LCD screen so you can see what is in the image when taking selfie type shots. Can switch back and forth between the back or front screen from taping the back screen twice, voice commend or holding down the side button for 3 sec. I cant tell you how many times, I have taken video footage OR photos, only to come home and see that I wasn't in the frame like I wanted. Nice to see this as an option for an action cam.

"4K at 60fps, the DJI Osmo Action can capture HDR video in 4K at 30fps, delivering an extra three stops of dynamic range to your scenes.

An 8x slow motion effect is possible by recording video in 1080p at 240fps, or you can shoot 4x slow motion in 1080p at 120fps.

The Osmo Action also boasts an in-camera timelapse mode and Custom Exposure settings (effectively a Bulb mode) for shooting long exposures at up to 120 seconds.

Also on board is DJI’s in-body stabilisation system, called RockSteady. Dual built-in microphones allow users to use the Osmo Action’s Voice Control to command the camera.

DJI has given the Osmo Action large LCD screens on the front and rear of the camera. On the back is a 2.25-inch touchscreen with water- and fingerprint-repelling coating. On the front is a 1.4-inch LCD that DJI says can be viewed in harsh lighting conditions."

https://camerajabber.com/dji-osmo-ac...date-revealed/

Looks pretty dang good IMO!!!

Last edited by bianchi10; 05-15-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Less than 2 hr battery life. Meh.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Less than 2 hr battery life. Meh.
But thats 2 hours of constant recording. I guess it depends on what you would use it for, but i would only use it for photos while riding, with the occasional video. So id be powering it on and off when not in use.

Keep in mind that the DJI has better battery life than the hero 7 (its main competitor)

Last edited by bianchi10; 05-16-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 PM

@bianchi10

What would you recco for someone's first on-board camera for at-speed selfies and light video? This or something more basic?

Figured you're kind of an authority at this stuff and others might like to see your thoughts.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupless View Post
@bianchi10

What would you recco for someone's first on-board camera for at-speed selfies and light video? This or something more basic?

Figured you're kind of an authority at this stuff and others might like to see your thoughts.
For me, its gopro or this DJI osmo option. Ive been researching the crap out of this DJI action cam and it looks great. The downfalls that anyone happens to mention about it won't effect what i would use it for, which is strictly selfie photos. I dont use video on my gopro and then use screenshot. I use time lapse set to take a photo every 1 second, which gives me a ton of photo options to choose from when i get home. Still might go woth the gopro 7 or possibly even the gopro 8 when it comes oit in sept. But i may find myself biting on this DJI also.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM

I can't take any of these seriously until they ditch the brick form factor. Helmet mount is the best option for anything I'd want to record and bullet shaped is way better.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
I can't take any of these seriously until they ditch the brick form factor. Helmet mount is the best option for anything I'd want to record and bullet shaped is way better.
Agreed, waiting for a top performing bullet shaped camera. Surprised the big two havent capitalized on this alternative.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Any thoughts about the newly released Sony RX0ii?

Pros include a large 1" sensor, Zeiss lens, waterproof/ruggedized case, and advanced video/photo menus, and S-log video. Cons are price ($700), fixed focus while shooting video, and extreme sport stability isn't as good as the GoPros.

Some reviews of the photo and video capabilities are pretty stunning ... seems like a nice little camera for travel, although perhaps not the best for action/extreme sports.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTRider View Post
Any thoughts about the newly released Sony RX0ii?

Pros include a large 1" sensor, Zeiss lens, waterproof/ruggedized case, and advanced video/photo menus, and S-log video. Cons are price ($700), fixed focus while shooting video, and extreme sport stability isn't as good as the GoPros.

Some reviews of the photo and video capabilities are pretty stunning ... seems like a nice little camera for travel, although perhaps not the best for action/extreme sports.
I'm thoroughly impressed Sony was able to cram a 1" sensor into such a small body. Will read some reviews tomorrow - looks like a really compelling piece of kit

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk