Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 07:48 PM

On a different note, I swear this race is cursed. Back when they ran it in February, there would also be rain. They pushed it out further, and added Tahoe. There was so much snow they had to cancel the stage. Now it's May, and we are hit with a very unusual rainstorm that is sure to drench the riders tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
I saw the race live and stopped watching before the podium. Came back to check on the app for final standing and I see Tejay at the top? Did he come about 1 min behind? His crash was well before the “neutral” grace zone. And the obstruction due to the other crash was about 3.5 Km from the finish line.
What did I miss?
The commissaires decided to enforce the little-known "just outside the 3K mark but close enough because we don't want the jersey to change because of crash" rule.

It's there in black and blue … er, white.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 PM

What caused Van Garderen’s first crash at 10km to go? I can understand his subsequent missed corner due to the reversed brakes on Morton’s bike. That would certainly have put me in a ditch! And he was definitely slowed by the crash just outside the 3km mark. It will be interesting to see if he can make the most of the officials’ decision and stay out of trouble for the rest of the race...

Greg
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
It seems to me that the organizers view the women's race as a 2nd class event.

For the last few years the women's race has run at least one stage concurrently with the men's race in Sacramento.
I would have to say the men's event is a 2nd class event. The women's race is lower.

Top riders do not take the ToC seriously.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2019, 11:34 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I would have to say the men's event is a 2nd class event. The women's race is lower.

Jeff
Looking at the crappy weather over in Italy at the Giro, if I am a pro rider, I know exactly where I would rather be right now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cali.jpg (66.8 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by weisan; 05-15-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:05 AM
Descent fitness

Weather looks pretty crappy for the next couple of days here, as well.
I rode my bike around the 17 Mile Drive loop today and there was a pretty strong southerly wind along with steady rain. It must’ve made for a miserable slog down to Morro Bay, being exposed by the coast with a headwind all of the way down.
Tomorrow should be similarly painful, with continued southerly winds and a predominately southerly route. Some of the bigger climbs will provide some shelter from the wind, although the last 40+ miles should be tough.
At least they are young, strong, and being paid.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Jeff
Yup, interesting that when ToC changed the dates to 'compete' with the Giro, they actually stated that the ToC would become a more important race..righto..

Some 'pros' come to the US to race cuz the competition is at a lower level and they live' more comfortably, hotel/transfer-wise. BUT like other 'pro' bike races in the US, it is a LARGE slice below even the 3rd and 4th tier races in Europe..
Quote:
Looking at the crappy weather over in Italy at the Giro, if I am a pro rider, I know exactly where I would rather be right now!
If they want a little R&R, they go to CA for a 'race'...Thursday May 16? AM rain, high of 66

ToC 'news'...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefe...eren-decision/
Quote:
'Is it because he’s American? I don’t know. I hope not' says Deceuninck team boss

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-16-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
What caused Van Garderen’s first crash at 10km to go?
Just saw this from Tejay on Cyclingtips:

“There was a lot of swarming, people were making position, and there was a touch of wheels,” van Garderen said after the stage. “I hit the front brake to try not to cross over the wheel and I just kind of endo-ed. I can’t say it was anyone’s fault. We ride pretty close and sometimes things happen.”

So we're back to Elefantino's original assessment...

Greg
Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
But for the American riders and sponsors, it's serious business. That's why the Specialized sponsored teams (Bora, Deceuninck-Quick-Step) along with Cannondale and Trek have well-known riders make the trip. It's also some good training miles for those not doing the Giro. Not a first tier race, but it serves its purpose (engaging US audiences, keeping US sponsors happy, quality training miles for the riders recovering from the spring classics and preparing for the summer races).

Greg
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM
v a n i l l a

Lefevere confirmed that he would appeal the decision and that it set a dangerous precedent for the sport because the race jury decided to extend the three-kilometre rule for van Garderen even though he was not part of the peloton when the second crash took place.

“As a team we’re fighting to stay in the front of the race. If Tejay van Garderen is at the back of the bunch it’s not my fault or that of my riders,” Lefevere argued.

“I don’t know why van Garderen was there but he crashed. He took a bike off a teammate and no one is talking about the fact he sat directly behind the team car. He went straight at a corner because of the problem he had with his brakes. Then there’s the big crash and he had to slow down but he didn’t make it back to the race.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 PM

This jury decision is baffling to me. It certainly doesn't have great optics, and I have to ask if the value of keeping Teejay (certainly the highest profile American rider) in the lead is worth the blowback and having someone like Lefevre ripping you up in the press. Are organizers worried that they won't be able to attract any casual fans without an American protaganist?

I think Lefevre has some blowhard tendencies, but he's absolutely right here: Crashing and getting back on terms is part of racing, sorry you weren't at the front when it went down, bro.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Classics Fan

Ah yes, the Tour of California, also known as the Tour of being preempted for the NHL play offs.

Good times
Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
This jury decision is baffling to me. It certainly doesn't have great optics, and I have to ask if the value of keeping Teejay (certainly the highest profile American rider) in the lead is worth the blowback and having someone like Lefevre ripping you up in the press. Are organizers worried that they won't be able to attract any casual fans without an American protaganist?

I think Lefevre has some blowhard tendencies, but he's absolutely right here: Crashing and getting back on terms is part of racing, sorry you weren't at the front when it went down, bro.
I can't understand the decision either. Tejay crashed on his own to start. Then he missed the turn. In order to get him back to the same time as the leader, they had to ignore: 1) the fact that the crash occurred outside of 3k to go, 2) the fact that he wasn't with the group when the crash occurred, and 3) how much drafting off the team car he was doing.

It takes the confluence of a lot of questionable decisions to bring Tejay back to the front of the race. It's never nice to see someone lose a race because of a crash, but it happens and it sure isn't transparent when a rider is going to be gifted the same time as the stage winner.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 PM

I am just glad that Johnny Moscon is not in the lead. By all outwardly accounts, that guy is an
Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 PM
DELETE ACCNT

TJ was behind Phinney in the pack. Phinney touched wheels w/ someone ahead,unclipped and swerved. TJ hit the brakes and endo'ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
What caused Van Garderen’s first crash at 10km to go? I can understand his subsequent missed corner due to the reversed brakes on Morton’s bike. That would certainly have put me in a ditch! And he was definitely slowed by the crash just outside the 3km mark. It will be interesting to see if he can make the most of the officials’ decision and stay out of trouble for the rest of the race...

Greg