Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Need advice on choosing a new build, Steel mech vs carbon di2.

So I'm looking to build a new bike from scratch all new because the current bike I have developed a pretty big crack on the seat tube also the carbon rear dropouts are wearing out.
My budget is under $3k and I've came up with 2 builds so far, I need opinions on choosing either.

1. A brand new Colnago Master, my size, with either Centaur 11S + Zondas or 105 R7000 + Fulcrum 3,
would LOVE to have the di2 option but they don't have it, and I have no interest in eTap. The whole build comes out $2800

2. A brand new Deda Vertigine frame, round seatpost is a plus but PF30. di2 ultegra set with fulcrum 3 comes out $2440. If I go this route I would like to have di2 instead of mechanical.

So I summarized the advantages of each build as following:

Colnago Master: Last forever if treated, front fork won't snap when I hit a pothole, the frame I found is 30th anniversary edition, Threaded BB, It's a Master.

Deda Vertigine: Di2, cheaper.

Or, my current bike is Dura Ace 9070 di2 + Campy Scirocco. Bought the bike used donno how much longer the DA 9070 set is gonna last since it looks pretty beat up, battery still holds months of charge tho. I can get a New frame and transfer everything over and sell the current frame as junk for $200

What do you guys think help me decide please.

Last edited by zmalwo; 03-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Both look like great bikes. But whatever you do, don't get tubulars, clinchers are clearly superior, everyone says so.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Swap the parts over, replace any bits that are clapped out, spend the money on the nicest frame you can get.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:22 AM

It sounds like you are frustrated with carbon, so I say go for the Colnago if that is your only steel option..

BUT - if you can afford it, I'd say go for custom steel instead, including a custom fork.

You'll be able to get tubes that are tuned to your weight and riding style, and you can spec it for Di2 if you want to go that route.

I liked the ride of the Colnago Master Light I briefly had - but the suppleness of the forks on my Ellis, Kirk, and Boulder were heads/tails better than the Colnago. I do however run to the lighter side, so if you're a bigger rider, maybe the tuning on the Colnago is just right for you.

I will say this, a Colnago will probably hold its value better than a custom. Probably. Maybe. But hard to say.