Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Opinions on Lynskey frames

What is your opinion on Lynskey frames? Is $700 for a new Cooper CX frame a good deal?

I've also been debating about which fork to get! Whiskey (~$300) or ENVE fork (~$400)?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Lanterne rouge

They are good frames. My issue is that if you pay full boat and they decide to blow them out at the end of the year for half. Resale sucks on account of their deep discounts year end.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Think this has been covered here before but the general opinion is they are pretty well liked here. There are a handful of owners here. Do a search and I bet you can get some good info. And some pics of some really nice bikes.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
They are good frames. My issue is that if you pay full boat and they decide to blow them out at the end of the year for half. Resale sucks on account of their deep discounts year end.
^ This is worth the mention. At the price you are looking at however, the issue is mostly mitigated already.

They are nice bikes.

I owned a 2010 Lynskey Cooper CX for about 5 years or so and rode it on everything from a couple Almanzo 100 gravel races in MN to the Triple Bypass road ride in CO. A versatile bike.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:24 PM
cmg

$700 for a new ti Lynskey frame is a good deal. if it comes with headset and fork better deal.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Older Lynskey frames were generally not high quality and had alignment problems. Also they seemed to willing to make unusual tweaks to the tubes unrelated to engineering but rather driven by cosmetics. FWIW.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:52 PM

Not a fan. Dead feeling ride, have regular warranty issues ~ "cracks". The price is great, certainly you will like it at first, long time love=no go for this rider. Others may differ, you asked for opinion that's mine.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:40 PM

I've had good luck so far with mine. I have a few of them and a couple unbuilt. They blow them out at the end of the year. If you can get it for $700 you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Love my Cooper CX ! Ride gravel a lot and at $700 it’s a steal, but have to admit I’m a Ti fan in general.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:03 PM

I have two Lynskeys - a Helix and a 240. Great bikes, great company. Super service. I bought directly from Lynskey. Ride them 5k miles a year. Sold my Trek Madone because I no longer rode it much. Lynskey is always having "specials" and "sales." They seem to go on all year. That is the way to buy. I have no experience on any other titanium bike so keep that in mind. Are other bikes "better." I do not know. In my mind that is all very subjective. Furthermore, one has to consider the differences in price.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM

I think they're outstanding and represent a big bang for the buck. They absolutely stand behind all their frames and, should there be an issue, they'll fix it for free...I speak from experience. Now there's certainly better, more finely-built Ti frames out there. Lynskey is obviously a mass producer that probably makes more frames by lunch break than most custom builders do in a month or two. Notwithstanding that, they still make a pretty sweet frame. I own a one-off "Level 4" Lynskey frame that was made when they were more of a "bespoke" outfit, and it is one of the more well thought out frames that I own...and I own/have owned them all. It has internal routing for both brake AND derailleur cables, asymmetrical chain stays and 6/4 main triangle.... I bought it a while back off a guy who was getting divorced and needed quick cash. It's a keeper for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2345.jpg (150.9 KB, 636 views)

Last edited by Jeff N.; 03-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:31 PM

Recommended a Cooper to my brother and he loves it. Like many, purchased on blow out for an excellent price and we were both surprised at the quality. When United decided to drive over his bike box and deny responsibility Lynskey repaired the frame (full inspection followed by new rear triangle) at cost.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:44 PM
Huffing Mastik

I'm with Clyde and HenryA on this one. Not a fan, look at my post history to see my experience with them - not good bikes or good people. That being said, at $700 you get what you pay for in a ti frame. There's a reason most quality ti frames cost a multiple of that. YMMV.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-20-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 PM

Just rode my Cooper CX today. I do love that bike. I’ve got it set up just right for LA adventures. Compass tires, Stan’s Notubes, and Ultegra Di2.

I love my other two bikes (Peg Duenda, Colnago CX Zero), but I’d keep the Lynskey ahead of the other two.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Which fork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveronfire View Post
Just rode my Cooper CX today. I do love that bike. I’ve got it set up just right for LA adventures. Compass tires, Stan’s Notubes, and Ultegra Di2.

I love my other two bikes (Peg Duenda, Colnago CX Zero), but I’d keep the Lynskey ahead of the other two.

What fork do you recommend? I have was thinking about getting their suggested 45mm rake (Whiskey's No.9) or a little longer (ENVE) @ 47mm