Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 08:22 AM
needs adult supervision

Totally. Hell of a game. Both teams played their hearts out. GS actually_does_have a bench. Gonna be crazy in the Rose City.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 AM

Tough game for Portland to lose in that they shot 94% from the line and made twice as many 3s as GS. An impressive 46% on 3s.

Jeff
Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 AM

I can't decide whether Portland played amazing and still lost and that was their one chance to catch the needed game in Oracle, or if they were that freaking close with Meyers Leonard playing significant minutes, and there's still some room to figure stuff out.

Whatever the case, I have to say that even though we've all seen that game 70 times in the past 5 years, I really prefer the KD-less version of the Dubs. I'm not saying they are better, I'm saying their floor is lower and their variance is higher and it's much more fun to watch when it feels 75% inevitable instead of 99% inevitable.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I can't decide whether Portland played amazing and still lost and that was their one chance to catch the needed game in Oracle, or if they were that freaking close with Meyers Leonard playing significant minutes, and there's still some room to figure stuff out.

Whatever the case, I have to say that even though we've all seen that game 70 times in the past 5 years, I really prefer the KD-less version of the Dubs. I'm not saying they are better, I'm saying their floor is lower and their variance is higher and it's much more fun to watch when it feels 75% inevitable instead of 99% inevitable.
No effin kidding. I mean KDing.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:13 AM
needs adult supervision

KD is the ultimate bailout and with him on the floor, GS plays with less urgency, creativity and contributions from others. Just human nature. Without him, their Strength in Numbers philosophy is rekindled. KD kept even Kerr from realizing he has a bench. I love how they’re playing now. Without him as bailout, everyone else plays harder and gets their touches. It’s beautiful hoops.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM

^^ That's exactly it.

I really hope that KD leaves this summer and pairs with another player good enough to put that team in title contention. I'm not sure if the Knicks and Kyrie are it, but somewhere.

This would, in some small way, restore what we as fans of basketball in general lost when KD chose GS - 7 or 8 legitimate title contenders and the resultant sense of drama around the entire season. Sure, the Dubs should/would still be favorites as long as Steph/Klay/Dray/Iggy are the core.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I've only seen the Zion highlights. But 6'7 and going 290 or so is a very unusual basketball build. How will he survive the rigors of the NBA with that build? The only comp I can think of is LeBron who is a total "unicorn" outlier and goes about twenty pounds less.
I wonder myself. He seems a little knock knee-ed watching him walk around and it will be interesting to see how the hold up over a few years. I think if one were looking for a sure fire “let’s get 10-12 quality years of high level play” then RJ Barrett is the best bet but I would no doubt pick Zion over him because that guy is a fantastic athlete and the size and vertical leap are only part of it.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM

KDless GS is certainly more fun to watch. I’m really in enjoying the old man moves of Iggy. He cannot stop as quickly and one point you could tell muscle memory said “jam” but reality said “layup” and he blew the layup by a hard shot. Love that guys spirirt
Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
KDless GS is certainly more fun to watch. I’m really in enjoying the old man moves of Iggy. He cannot stop as quickly and one point you could tell muscle memory said “jam” but reality said “layup” and he blew the layup by a hard shot. Love that guys spirirt
+1000

He's the epitome of a wily, cagey vet. And defense, his hands haven't lost a step. Plus, he also epitomizes the unselfishness of a team player. Hard to imagine four players more in synch physically and mentally than Steph, Klay, Draymond and Iggy. Brothers from different mothers.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Registered (ab)User

Watching last night's GSW/Portland game 3, I was -- in hindsight -- struck by how little iso-ball the KD-less Warriors play. Definitely more of a "hive mind" team play, and so definitely more fun to watch...if for no other reason than almost no other team in the NBA (Spurs maybe?) does that.

I'm kinda digging the "let's see how deep a hole we can get ourselves into and then see if we can climb out of it in the 2nd half" approach to keeping the playoffs fresh for everybody.

(/sarcasm)
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Watching last night's GSW/Portland game 3, I was -- in hindsight -- struck by how little iso-ball the KD-less Warriors play. Definitely more of a "hive mind" team play, and so definitely more fun to watch...if for no other reason than almost no other team in the NBA (Spurs maybe?) does that.

I'm kinda digging the "let's see how deep a hole we can get ourselves into and then see if we can climb out of it in the 2nd half" approach to keeping the playoffs fresh for everybody.

(/sarcasm)
Agree with this sentiment. As do most of the contributors here, evidently. The KD-less Dubs are a joy to behold. An interesting question is how do the players themselves feel about his absence? They seem to be playing with the carefree joy of old times. How does that bode for KDs future, if it hasn't already been determined. I wonder what he thinks of this mini-revival...
Old 05-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Agree with this sentiment. As do most of the contributors here, evidently. The KD-less Dubs are a joy to behold. An interesting question is how do the players themselves feel about his absence? They seem to be playing with the carefree joy of old times. How does that bode for KDs future, if it hasn't already been determined. I wonder what he thinks of this mini-revival...
It is a great theory, but right before KD arrived GS used to go in phases during the playoffs where they quit moving the ball and would just throw up 3s while covered. Drove me crazy.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It’s really really fun to watch but I think the players prefer it when KD is on the floor. It looks totally exhausting to play that style ball and while they’re having a good time playing like old times it’s been 4 games. They’re leaving it all out on the floor every night, which they should do.

But that’s what makes this team special is they had the luxury of playing at 75% all season and only bumping it to 100% during the playoffs.

I think if they had to play without KD all season this playoff run would look way different
Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 PM
v a n i l l a

the only good thing about no KD is the bench has regained confidence through playing and delivering in games that matter.

Make no mistake, GSW is not better off w/o KD. It only looks that way because dame is absent and the rest can't make up for it.

I dont use any brain cells thinking about if he goes or where he goes.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:22 PM

Any team is better w/KD, but the Warriors seem to be more effective w/out him. Curry gets early touches, Klay gets early touches, they get into a rhythm quicker, bench has urgency to step up vs. everybody relying on KD to score and win for us (and standing around watching him on iso).

Portland can't play D to level required against the Warriors. The Rockets played way more intense, fly to the ball, physical D against Warriors...and lost.

Portland needs another scorer. Maybe a defensive guru coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
the only good thing about no KD is the bench has regained confidence through playing and delivering in games that matter.

Make no mistake, GSW is not better off w/o KD. It only looks that way because dame is absent and the rest can't make up for it.

I dont use any brain cells thinking about if he goes or where he goes.