Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2019, 08:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Well, it's a funny thing. I was a 1.5 - 2 pack smoker, first thing in the morning. A junkie. But, we all know the occasional smoker, bum one or two in the bar, wake up and go through the next day with no need. Maybe that was you. Lucky you, if.
I started my morning with 2 cigarettes for a few years, was a must. Prob smoked a pack at my highest with maybe a bit more if I was going out (college years). I was definitely a smoker. However, and some will argue, I never thought of it as an adiction, I just loved the process and loves the social aspect of it (I actually met my wife during a class smoke break, we were the 2 smokers in class so I guess not all was negative from the bad habit). I did not have any problem quitting, just got up one day and was like, dont want to do this anymore and have not smoked since. My wife on the other hand did not have it that easy, she had a hell of a time quitting but has been off the habit for 2 or 3 years. Everyone is different.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:18 AM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I never smoked cigs, couldn't stand the smell. Our Mom did up until I was in fourth or fifth grade and then I started hounding her to quit. Taking her packs and putting pin holes in them or painting the filter ends with her finger nail polish. She finally had enough of the harassment and quit.

William
Interesting William.
I tried to sabotage my dad by hiding his cartons.
It was cute and had a short lived effect.
My dad continued smoking to age 49.
He stopped when. his heart stopped.

I had very serious asthma as a kid.
In 3rd and fourth grades was hospitalized with asthma and pneumonia.
Both times were very near fatal.

And yet I was stupid enough to become addicted for a few years in high school and early 20's. Breaking the addiction took concerted focus, but I'm so glad I did it.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I'm guessing that this statement implies that cigarette smokers die earlier, therefore cost the insurance industry, and all of us, less money. Not true. I have watched three smokers die from the effects of smoking, and it isnt a sudden clutching of the chest end or, the best fantasy, not waking up one morning. No, it's a long, ugly, nasty, pathetic experience. My father slowly died over about a ten year period, in and out of hospitals with cardiac events, and then amputations near the end. It was unpleasent to watch, and very expensive. About 850,000 dollars in 1990 money. Fortunately for us, he had insurance and Medicare. Btw, he smoked through a lot of it. Then, two very close friends dying of cancer fairly recently, one a strong cyclist. One over four years, the other three. Watching both has convinced me that I will settle my affairs and seek out a good hospice if diagnosed with a fairly advanced cancer, because no way am I going through what they went through, while watching all of my assets get taken by the profit seeking cancer industry, and, believe me, that industry is enjoying it's best of times right now with 73 million out of shape Boomers dying off. Besides, one should have a damn good and loving support system in place if that person decides on an iffy "cure", because it is far from easy on your own, and I don't have that.

So, anyway, what I'm trying to say is, with modern medical technology, humans can be kept alive much much longer than just 60 years ago, but, it's a very expensive and miserable existence. It's not a dirty secret to most that most of our medical expenditures occur in the last six months of life.

Stop smoking now. Seek help. I did group therapy, and it worked. Best advice I got was that I could never ever touch a cigarette again. It worked.

I can't believe that horribly toxic drug is still openly for sale at my local CVS behind the cashier.
My post was sarcastic. For the various reasons you cited. For those reasons, health insurance premiums are much higher for those who smoke, but that doesn’t account for the millions lost treating diseases caused by smoking and so we all pay more because people smoke.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 AM

Late to the party, but I have not smoked anything, ever.
I probably never will. Just not my thing.

I do/did have friends that smoked. Throughout college and after. I probably inhaled my fair share of second hand smoke when I could not stand upwind.

Some of them were able to quit cold-turkey. Some, patches and gum. Some could not kick the habit and still smoke to this day.

From what I gather, it seems like a hard habit to kick once started in full force.
About weed, it seems that that one is not as addictive, but rather a step ladder to other drugs.

To those that do these, please do in moderation, if possible.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
Late to the party, but I have not smoked anything, ever.
I probably never will. Just not my thing.

I do/did have friends that smoked. Throughout college and after. I probably inhaled my fair share of second hand smoke when I could not stand upwind.

Some of them were able to quit cold-turkey. Some, patches and gum. Some could not kick the habit and still smoke to this day.

From what I gather, it seems like a hard habit to kick once started in full force.
About weed, it seems that that one is not as addictive, but rather a step ladder to other drugs.

To those that do these, please do in moderation, if possible.
from someone that does not smoke weed, this is not true. Its as much a gateway drug as cig or alcohol.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 03-31-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:54 AM

Good to know. Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:01 AM

I'm in the One and Done-For club. I smoke one way - heavily. One cigarette and over the course of a week or two, I'll be back to a pack a day. When I originally smoked, I'd kill two packs on my days off. I had quit for four years in my twenties, then went back for a year, quit again in Spring of 2008 and began endurance road biking a year after that.

The one thing I can say for smoking is that I was forced to take a short break every hour or two. No matter what, I took a moment to settle, then return to what I was doing. The closest thing I do to that now is a 6 minute plank routine, which could stand to happen every day, but doesn't. What a great stress reliever.

When I encounter someone having their fix, I occasionally tell them in passing that's the one thing I (sort of) miss. I figure they know as well as I do that it's a terrible habit, and they no doubt feel second or third class in this day and age. If I say anything at all, why not say something positive?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I figure they know as well as I do that it's a terrible habit
It’s not a ‘habit’, but an addiction, more powerfully addictive , some say, than herion or cocaine. Habit is brushing your teeth twice a day, smoking is an addiction. Just stop or don’t start, it is death in a 20 cig pack.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
It’s not a ‘habit’, but an addiction, more powerfully addictive , some say, than herion or cocaine. Habit is brushing your teeth twice a day, smoking is an addiction. Just stop or don’t start, it is death in a 20 cig pack.
Yes, and that demon anxiously awaits my return.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I was hoping this was another cooking thread

Aaah well.

I don't like smoking anything. Not even weed. I'm slow enough as it is and don't want to impact lung function

M

Copy that !

The older you get the more you will notice your lung function
Old 05-17-2019, 01:26 PM

I detest vaping more than cigarette smokers (I do neither).

Vaping has become a real problem in schools with kids starting as early as 6th grade, at least in my area. My town recently passed an ordinance to ban vape sales except in 2 licensed shops, but that'll just force them to neighboring towns to buy it.

I hate the second hand cloud that vapers exhale which are twice as big as cigarette ones making it difficult to dodge so I just end up holding my breath.

Disgusting habit/addiction.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Smokers should be expected to pay proportional and fair (to those of us who never picked up the pitiful habit) premiums and co-pays for their insurance and medical expenses. I have no problem with paying into insurance as a pretty healthy individual who takes measures to maintain that health, and I'm a proponent of universal coverage...but if you smoke you should pay more.

One thing that drove me nuts during a recent and brief stint working in the VA healthcare system was attending a lecture on amputee care. I was informed that >95% of veterans currently enrolled in the VA who have had amputations and ongoing amputee-related care are a result of non-traumatic disease processes. In other words, for things that had absolutely nothing to do with their military service or combat etc. I suspect a vast majority of that group required amputations due to preventable or at least manageable diseases such as diabetes and peripheral vascular disease; which are frequently exacerbated by the effects of nicotine abuse. Ironically, whenever you see a VA poster or ad showing a veteran with some amazing technological prosthetic or playing wheelchair sports, it is usually the young, likely traumatic amputee from a recent war, not a guy that chose a *****ty diet, rarely exercises and smoked ~2ppd for his entire adult life. Sorry for the thread drift, but this topic just sets something off in me.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:53 PM

I took one puff on a cigarette when I was in junior high school and that was it. I do, however, enjoy a pipe a couple of times a week and, on very rare occasions, a cigar. When I work as a volunteer mechanic on the Braking AIDS Ride, I usually have a lit corncob pipe in my mouth. A surprising number of riders and crew told me how they either liked the smell or that it brought back fond memories of uncles, grandfathers, etc.

Tom
Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanoTom View Post
I took one puff on a cigarette when I was in junior high school and that was it. I do, however, enjoy a pipe a couple of times a week and, on very rare occasions, a cigar. When I work as a volunteer mechanic on the Braking AIDS Ride, I usually have a lit corncob pipe in my mouth. A surprising number of riders and crew told me how they either liked the smell or that it brought back fond memories of uncles, grandfathers, etc.

Tom
When I come across a cigarette smoker I always increase my pace or alter my route to be clear of the noxious fumes as quickly as possible. Cross paths with someone enjoying a pipe or good cigar I tend to slow down, take a deep breath and remember my grandfather.

I'm the son of a chain smoker, family trips in the car were a nightmare before he quit. RIP dad (lung cancer).
Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
When I come across a cigarette smoker I always increase my pace or alter my route to be clear of the noxious fumes as quickly as possible. Cross paths with someone enjoying a pipe or good cigar I tend to slow down, take a deep breath and remember my grandfather.

I'm the son of a chain smoker, family trips in the car were a nightmare before he quit. RIP dad (lung cancer).
Sorry about your dad.

Tom