Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Fees are 10% eBay and 3% on Paypal it's weird that you are getting charged so much. If you have some expensive stuff but not in hurry to sell, save them up because sometimes eBay gives you no final value fee promotions. I had one for 5 itmes, used it for 2 pairs of bora wheels and saved $200+ on final value fees. Sometimes they have 50% final value fee promotions too.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Here is an example of some wheels I sold on Ebay, ones that would not do so well on PL, these cost me 25% fees on Ebay. Then there would be Paypal fees on top of that.

Note the add ran twice as they did not sell the 1st time.

MAVIC COSMIC CXR80 TUBULAR WHEELS - Reserve Price Listing Fee $52.43
MAVIC COSMIC CXR80 TUBULAR WHEELS - Reserve Price Listing Fee $44.93
MAVIC COSMIC CXR80 TUBULAR WHEELS - Final Value Fee $69.90
MAVIC COSMIC CXR80 TUBULAR WHEELS - Fee on Shipping $8.90

Last edited by KarlC; 03-22-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:57 AM

If you are going to set a reserve, you might be better off listing as 'buy it now" and check off to accept offers. There is no additional fee for buy it now/offers... yet it "may" take a little longer to sell, but if you have a minimum price you want you just have to be patient. A good chunk of what you owe above is the fees for listing with the reserve price.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Pardon me for being a dope, but having a reserve price costs $50? What was the reserve price you set?

And they charge reserve price fee regardless of whether it sells?

Are both the Final Value and Shipping fees below 10% or higher for some reason?

If this were BIN, would you have been back to 10% fees on selling price and shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Here is an example of some wheels I sold on Ebay, ones that would not do so well on PL, these cost me 25% fees on Ebay. Then there would be Paypal fees on top of that.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post

Holy Fking sht they charge a ton for the reserve price listing fee..... Yeah check the sold history of the same item you are listing and put it up for buy it now.... check off the accept offer option that's how i usually sell stuff.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Yeh don’t use reserve price, they charge a lot for it, always have. What’s the point? Just do quick market research and set a buy it now with no auction. It sells easily.

Fee info: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fe...g-fees?id=4364

If you don’t sell more than 50 items a month, there’s no insertion fee. It’s just 10% eBay + 3% PayPal.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:09 AM

Wow, I didn't realize they charge a Reserve Fee when your item doesn't sell. That's bonkers.

As others have said, reserves aren't worth it. They turn buyers off. Either be all-in with a no reserve auction or do a "BIN or best offer." I think no reserve auctions drive up the mania and end higher than reserve auctions, but you have to be willing to risk it. In this case the risk could be offset by the high fees you paid on the reserves.

You should have just listed them for a buy it now with free shipping @ $900. I'll bet they would have sold at close to that price, the buyer feels like they got a good deal with the "free" shipping, and you would have paid a straight 10% fee. Paypal would take their fee on their end too.

Last edited by Pegoready; 03-22-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 AM

As others have said you’re getting screwed on the reserve.

If you’re concerned about selling for a certain price do buy it now.

Also as annoying and counter productive as it might sound—if you continue to list on eBay and consistently sell—you’ll become a power seller very easily and get a reduced fee schedule.

If you are aPowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.6 or higher, you qualify for a 5% discount on Final Value Fees.
If you are a PowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.8 or higher, you qualify for a 15% discount on Final Value Fees
If you are a PowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.9 or higher, you qualify for a 20% discount on Final Value Fees (the 20% discount will begin to show on your July, 2008 invoice).
Old 03-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Wow, I didn't realize they charge a Reserve Fee when your item doesn't sell. That's bonkers.

As others have said, reserves aren't worth it. They turn buyers off. Either be all-in with a no reserve auction or do a "BIN or best offer." I think no reserve auctions drive up the mania and end higher than reserve auctions, but you have to be willing to risk it. In this case the risk could be offset by the high fees you paid on the reserves.

You should have just listed them for a buy it now with free shipping @ $900. I'll bet they would have sold at close to that price, the buyer feels like they got a good deal with the "free" shipping, and you would have paid a straight 10% fee. Paypal would take their fee on their end too.
Yeah I've always walked away from reserve auctions. Even for all in with no reserve worst comes to worst you can say the item was damaged after auction ended etc if you really don't like the price.. Just refund them right away.. I think you can pull it off every 20 to 50 things you sell.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Randomhead

or, just list it for what you want out of it. My strategy was always to list it BIN for my dream price and start bidding at the least I would take for it. Can you do that anymore?

On things that I know will sell, I just list it for not very much and let people bid on it. Win some/lose some on that strategy. But usually, if I'm selling something, I just want it gone anyway.