Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 11:18 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I responded that Fulcrum IS Campy. So they aren't different. Yes, they make different products, but that's only due to the market they are reaching out to
Um. Case closed? or maybe semantics? To me, (doesn't have to be to you), but to me, it ain't Campagnolo if it doesn't say Campagnolo on it. I also own three sets of Fulcrum wheels, but to me... IMHO... they are different - different products, different brand.

Look, we both like Campagnolo. The thread was about what we would want. Fantasy. Imagination.

Why do all threads about Campy have to become the defend-and-justify Campagnolo thread? I'm not attacking them. The first thing I said in this thread was they should just stay the course.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
How many of us ride only Campagnolo because it is Campagnolo, or because it is better than Shimano/SRAM/etc.?

Or is there a difference?
started riding Campagnolo in 1983 because it was the best and I haven't looked back, nor has my opinion changed about them being the best.

You can always find replacement parts, bolts, nuts, springs, etc., and rebuild a part because they are designed to last, not throwaway parts. Ergonomically their levers are the best available now and their shifting is second to none.

Campy wears in, not wears out.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:28 AM

Campagnolo needs to gain a sliver of OE market share. Which means either making it in Taiwan or delivering there on time for a from another source. This will ensure they live on another century, cause if they keep the status quo, they will die off about the time most Paceliners do. I'm not saying they need to go toe to toe with Shimano/SRAM but the reason you don't see complete bikes with Campagnolo isn't because it's expensive or people don't buy those bikes, it's because product managers don't want to deal with the problems of getting the bikes built when parts are late. None of this is news to Campagnolo though and I applaud them for sticking to a European manufacturing network, but it's a global game. The OE market is the only market that matters, it's ~90%+ for most brands.

The other thing I'd like to see them do is a re-pop of some of the vintage groups as a 100th anniversary deal. I've heard all the stamping dies are still under roof in Vicenza, shouldn't be that hard. I don't really want to ride them but I'd probably buy one just to look at. It would be great marketing as well.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 01-23-2022, 11:33 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Um. Case closed? or maybe semantics? To me, (doesn't have to be to you), but to me, it ain't Campagnolo if it doesn't say Campagnolo on it. I also own three sets of Fulcrum wheels, but to me... IMHO... they are different - different products, different brand.

Look, we both like Campagnolo. The thread was about what we would want. Fantasy. Imagination.

Why do all threads about Campy have to become the defend-and-justify Campagnolo thread? I'm not attacking them. The first thing I said in this thread was they should just stay the course.
It's funny cause it all started with another article by someone who thinks they know Campagnolo and what's best for them, just like what James at CT post in 2017 and then in 2020 before Ekar was unveiled. For someone reason people love to hate Campy.

I wasn't offended or anything in your comment. Just clarifying why I posted what I did in my reply. I would love to see Campy do more. I just know it's not going to happen. I would LOVE a modern polished all alloy kit. It would save me a bunch of money sending stuff to Australia but Mr. C doesn't want to look backwards. I would LOVE to see a Chorus EPS group. I think that's a massive mistake not having one. I think they need to make 2 really good cheaper groups to compete more with SRAM and Shimano for OEM or for at least people who want an option for new builds.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:34 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Campagnolo needs to gain a sliver of OE market share. Which means either making it in Taiwan or delivering there on time for a from another source. This will ensure they live on another century, cause if they keep the status quo, they will die off about the time most Paceliners do. I'm not saying they need to go toe to toe with Shimano/SRAM but the reason you don't see complete bikes with Campagnolo isn't because it's expensive or people don't buy those bikes, it's because product managers don't want to deal with the problems of getting the bikes built when parts are late. None of this is news to Campagnolo though and I applaud them for sticking to a European manufacturing network, but it's a global game. The OE market is the only market that matters, it's ~90%+ for most brands.

The other thing I'd like to see them do is a re-pop of some of the vintage groups as a 100th anniversary deal. I've heard all the stamping dies are still under roof in Vicenza, shouldn't be that hard. I don't really want to ride them but I'd probably buy one just to look at. It would be great marketing as well.
No parts are later at the moment than Shimano's.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
It's funny cause it all started with another article by someone who thinks they know Campagnolo and what's best for them, just like what James at CT post in 2017 and then in 2020 before Ekar was unveiled. For someone reason people love to hate Campy.
Not sure it was hate, much of it was self reflection from their global PR manager about how they bungled the market shift.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
No parts are later at the moment than Shimano's.
It's really bad according to their own B2B site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 271108763_7459350790757477_7807237928705164828_n.jpg (46.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-23-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
It's really bad according to their own B2B site.
200 years and 11 months is a long wait.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Never said they were the first or only. Shimano also had it on their Exage brake levers. Theirs was spring loaded to return when pulled as well. My first new real race bike (Panasonic DX4000) had Exage and had those levers. It was a really clean design.
In a way, putting the QR on the lever is a safety feature - unlike with a caliper based QR, the brake levers won't bottom out before the pads reach the rim, and you can brake as normal. That is, as long your fingers can still reach the lever in the open position. This is probably why many implements use a spring return - so that even short fingered people can still reach the levers.

As far as Shimano, it's a shame they didn't continue using this design in their levers instead of coming up with that kludgy mid-cable QR doohickey.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Campy has a plan and they stick to it. And no the company is not going anywhere. These and the other threads usually devolve into those comments too.... if Campy doesn't do X, they will be sold, blah, blah, blah. That's not going to happen. It's a family owned company in a trust. It's not getting sold. The family wouldn't allow it. They will never let a Non-Campagnolo family or business own it.
I think what confuses people is that Campagnolo doesn't follow the "standard" 21st century business model - which is to strive for revenue growth above all else (even if you have to go into debt or operate at a loss to achieve it), and that unit sales volume matters more than margins or sustainability. So people just assume that Campagnolo must be "failing".

Unlike publicly traded companies, a privately owned Campagnolo can take the long view, so their business decisions may look different than other companies.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I think what confuses people is that Campagnolo doesn't follow the "standard" 21st century business model - which is to strive for revenue growth above all else (even if you have to go into debt or operate at a loss to achieve it), and that unit sales volume matters more than margins or sustainability. So people just assume that Campagnolo must be "failing".

Unlike publicly traded companies, a privately owned Campagnolo can take the long view, so their business decisions may look different than other companies.

I’ve heard the family owns a lot of property, which affords them the situation of being content to be where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
None of this is news to Campagnolo though and I applaud them for sticking to a European manufacturing network, but it's a global game. The OE market is the only market that matters, it's ~90%+ for most brands.
I wonder is more bike brands bringing manufacturing back to Europe (Bianch, Orbea) will mean more bikes sporting campy as stock. Will be interesting to see and I’m sure the people at Campy see it as an opportunity.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
I’ve heard the family owns a lot of property, which affords them the situation of being content to be where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do. They own a bunch of property around Italy and outside if Italy.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:45 PM

Argon 18 in Europe has at least one model in '22 that comes stock with Campy.....Dark Matter with Ekar.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:36 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Argon 18 in Europe has at least one model in '22 that comes stock with Campy.....Dark Matter with Ekar.
There are multiple brands with Ekar as a stock build option. There are quite a few that have Campy on road bikes as well. It's not like they don't have any. Which is what the author on the CT site eludes to, that they have none and are even losing Pro Team usage. And that's not the case. They just aren't everywhere because they aren't.