Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2024, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
I repaired several TPU tubes.
Self adhesive patches wont last. I am surprised RH supplying those as repair kits for his tubes.

The updated Tubolito repair kit with glue and TPU patches works like a charm.
Its essential to let the glue cure overnight with some small clips on.
It works on all the other brand TPU tubes.

Then it will last forever.
I've had good luck reparing schwalbe aerothans with schwalbe self-adhesive patches. A bit large for a patch so I cut them in halves.
I clean the area with rubbing alcohol, let dry and apply patch.
Since cleanliness is a must, and the patch is transparent, I foresee being a PITA doing this work on the side of the road. OK at home.

I'm also using Barbieri Piuma TPU tubes (disc brake only). They were a lot cheaper than tubolito, made in Italy and no issues in the past 1500k. It seems that prices have gone up and aren't as good of a deal anymore.

Only caveat is that I'm using 700x30c tires and it may be a bit too large for these tubes. The section of tube that overlaps itself will not strecth like the rest of the tube, so you can see a dimple on the tire. It hasn't been a problem and would not be an issue if running 700x25c or 28c.

I thought at first that Barbieri was making RH tubes (I believe they make RH pumps) but Barbieri uses plastic stems.
Old 03-30-2024, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
What people fail to get is that in the medium term a TPU tubes costs less than a butyl. You can efficiently repair TPU tubes whereas butyl is not that obvious.
Huh? Repairing = patching? Butyl tubes are problematic from this standpoint?
Old 03-30-2024, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscq View Post
There's also a whole bunch of "cheap" keyboard-mash letter salad brands on Amazon and Aliexpress who'll sell a TPU tube for as low as $12+/-. I assume they all come from the same few factories, Tubolitos and RHs included. Is there a way to tell which ones might be ok? I won't ever run one full time as I run tubeless but I'd like to carry a tube for emergencies and if I can cut the weight and volume down, I'd gladly pay $12 (but not $40) for a rarely used parachute.
I took a chance on my first Aliexpress order of 2 Cyclami TPU tubes for under $10...shipped. Figured it was not much money in case things went sideways. Well, the order came in 10 days and the tubes are working fine. There are lots of "vendors" with the same product but mine came from BikeGPS Store. Also, prices seem to move around quite a bit but are still very inexpensive. No way I'm paying $30 a tube!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A

Tim
Old 03-30-2024, 09:05 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Huh? Repairing = patching? Butyl tubes are problematic from this standpoint?
my thoughts exactly reading this.. I was like "what?"
Old 03-30-2024, 09:38 AM

A few answers to questions posed in this super-interesting discussion:

- Rim brakes are no problem. The melt point of TPU is about where butyl tubes fail (145°C or 295°F)—higher than latex, which also works fine with rim brakes.

- CO2 is OK for topping up, but initial inflation with CO2 is not recommended. The high pressure and cold temperature (as the CO2 expands) can split the tubes.

- The Rene Herse TPU tubes are made in Germany. They are not just some rebranded product you can get from other sources. (None of our products are.)

Cheers,
Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Old 04-01-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post
A few answers to questions posed in this super-interesting discussion:

- Rim brakes are no problem. The melt point of TPU is about where butyl tubes fail (145°C or 295°F)—higher than latex, which also works fine with rim brakes.

- CO2 is OK for topping up, but initial inflation with CO2 is not recommended. The high pressure and cold temperature (as the CO2 expands) can split the tubes.

- The Rene Herse TPU tubes are made in Germany. They are not just some rebranded product you can get from other sources. (None of our products are.)

Cheers,
Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Thanks for answering these! They look like an awesome product. It seems like if they have the improved durability as discussed there may be no reason other than price to run butyl tubes anymore!
Old 04-01-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocslick View Post
Thanks for answering these! They look like an awesome product. It seems like if they have the improved durability as discussed there may be no reason other than price to run butyl tubes anymore!
And that you'll need to bring a pump on your ride.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:02 PM

CO2 is becoming unusable for inflating tires. Not supposed to be used with natural latex sealants nor with TPU tubes. The usage case for CO2 is diminishing.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I took a chance on my first Aliexpress order of 2 Cyclami TPU tubes for under $10...shipped. Figured it was not much money in case things went sideways. Well, the order came in 10 days and the tubes are working fine. There are lots of "vendors" with the same product but mine came from BikeGPS Store. Also, prices seem to move around quite a bit but are still very inexpensive. No way I'm paying $30 a tube!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A

Tim
I'd bought some RideNow tubes but the plastic valve made me nervous so I passed them on. Your link got me to go back to Ali and order 4 tubes, $18.47 shipped. Worth a try!

Note that when I put the BikeGPS order in my cart it was $17+ and when I went to check out a minute later it was $22.90, so I did a general search for the same package and found it at another vendor for the original $17+.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:27 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
I ride with a pump on every ride.. not using CO2 is just one small thing I can do for the environment (like not using disposable plastic water bottles)
Old 04-02-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
CO2 is becoming unusable for inflating tires. Not supposed to be used with natural latex sealants nor with TPU tubes. The usage case for CO2 is diminishing.
There's progress for ya. I think I've had about 2 flats in the last 5 years, so my CO2 landfill contribution hasn't been inordinate, but I don't think I'll go to TPU tubes if it means I have to use a mini hand pump to 90psi in case of a flat.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:09 AM

I have never used a CO2 cartridge in my life to inflate a tire. And I have no reason to begin to think about it. Pump for me.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post

I saw that happen on a ride once with butyl tubes, except that instead of merely splitting the tube, the tube shattered into a number of pieces when it froze.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Tubeless, latex, butyl, TPU, makes no difference: you need to bring a pump.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:41 AM
Administrator

What a world we've made for ourselves where $30+ inner tubes are a thing.