Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 12:01 PM

WSJ Your Bike Just Got Stolen. These Vigilantes Will Get It Back.

Not all heroes wear capes.
Pretty good WSJ article today about bike theft recoveries:

Your Bike Just Got Stolen. These Vigilantes Will Get It Back.
https://www.wsj.com/us-news/your-bik...hare_permalink
"Mike Pavlik sees a lot while recovering stolen bikes around Minneapolis. Once, pretending to be a potential buyer, he dressed up in khakis, a sports coat and met a seller.

Pavlik took note of the make, model and markings, confirming it was the bike he was hunting. He asked to take it for a test ride. The seller wanted some collateral.

“Do I look like the kind of guy that steals bikes, dude?” Pavlik recalls asking the man. Then he just pedaled off. An hour later, the seller texted him, “I guess you’re not coming back?”

Pavlik is part of an unusual army: amateur sleuths who find stolen bikes and return them to their owners. As bike theft becomes more profitable, grassroot efforts to thwart thieves are springing up nationwide. Part wannabe detective, part vigilantes, the volunteers say recovering bikes can be strangely fun and addictive.

While recovering more than 200 bikes, he says he has only been hit by a thief once. “I got sucker punched,” he says. “So I pepper sprayed him and he turned around and ran.” The man’s shorts fell down and he tripped to the ground, leaving his bare rear exposed. “I just emptied the whole can on him.”

One guy who Pavlik says allegedly runs a bike theft ring also stands out. The first time he confronted the man with a bike’s proof of ownership, the man pedaled off.

Pavlik gave chase on his bike and shot him with pepper spray until he crashed. “I got him,” he says. “Then I just lifted the stolen bike on my shoulder and sped off.” Another victory."
Anyone here know these heroes?
Old 02-29-2024, 12:40 PM

A wonderful, uplifting story of some great guys who are trying to plug the dyke with their fingers, as it were. The raw number of thefts quoted in the article are just astounding. I wish all the bike thieves would subscribe to the WSJ so they could learn that “This Could Happen To You “.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:05 PM

You know its assault to pepper spray someone who isn't assaulting or threatening to assault you, right? Even if they're a crook. Good lord...

Vigilantism is just bad, even with good intentions. The real cops screw up often enough, don't want to have to deal with amateurs as well.

Besides, dude is eventually gonna get hurt.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:24 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
the volunteers say recovering bikes can be strangely fun and addictive.
Most illegal activities are.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:37 PM

Old 02-29-2024, 02:37 PM

Me thinks this thread is going to get locked buuuuut, I fully support this kind of vigilantism. Guy's out there running the risk, let him run it.