Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
Next week I celebrate my 3rd month being in the market. Between Youtube and a couple friends who have been in for decades, I've learned what to do (buy low cost index funds) and what not to do (buy individual stock, market timing). The hardest lesson as Doug mentioned is to relax, be patient and just let the market cook and do its thing
The upside of index funds is that they are an easy way to get investment returns that (roughly) equal the market average. The downside of index funds is that they generate investment returns that (roughly) equal the market average.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
Some daily stresses here and there but nothing what my friends have been through.
There is no daily part about what you are doing. If you are in it for the long term, there should be almost zero daily stress. Nothing that happens on a daily basis is going to matter. At most I look at my quarterly statements, but even then, realize that what happens in any 1 quarter isn't going to matter over the long term. Unless you get joy out of watching daily, and it sounds like you don't. I would suggest that you stop doing that.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:49 AM

Im still in the honeymoon phase so I still need to peak now and then. It may wear off after it drops 30 percent but until that time im still fascinated by it all