Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2024, 03:33 AM

I think a lot of folks assume a wet lube is better because their chain might run quieter with it, even though the oil is simply muffling the noise.

And since wet lubes can flow much more than any wax ever will, they can readily transport fine particles, be they metal from the chain or contaminants from the environment, into the inner workings of the chain where they can do their damage to the chain's longevity.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:06 AM

This is the hot wax i tried I found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I only used it on a gravel bike.

It’s reassuring to hear my results aren’t way off. I’ve found I can apply the synergetic wet lube in less frequent intervals for my riding. I wish the wax had better results because it’s nice having a clean to touch drivetrain.

Drivetrain wear on 12 speed mullet axs seems insignificant to worry about making it down to really only the performance and effort.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:16 AM

I just dont have the patience for waxing. I've tried the Silca drip and it was quiet and chain relatively clean after rides. But I'm lazy so after a few rides on the road now I wipe the chain down (usually Dawn foaming) then apply either the Silca Synergistic or NFS. And I dont measure my chain even though I have the Park tool and only replace if I feel there is something going on with the chain/cassette. How long do chains last on the road? For CX I am more particular about replacing my chain (each season) and wiping down after every ride.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:34 PM

I've seen a video by a mechanical engineer testing various lubes. Instead of using a bicycle chain he used more direct metal friction test and measured wear.

Dumonde did the best. I've been using their light/dry oil for years and get plenty of life from my cassettes/chains. It's easy to use and less work than waxing.

My local pro shop that I trust is sold on Ceramic Speed lube, I may try that next.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:27 PM

I got Silca wax and followed their instructions on waxing a new chain. I am not going back to anything else. Wax is silent, smooth, and picks up less grime.