Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider
It's time for me to buy another light for fall riding.

My main commuter has a gen hub with lights, and I wear my DiNotte on my helmet. So I'm good there, until they salt the roads, when that bike goes to the basement for holiday.

I have one of those older L&M lights with the giant proprietary battery back but it's getting on in years and has trouble running for 45 minutes now after a charge.

What I would like is a light to clip to my bars. I will still be wearing the Dinotte 200 on my head.
I would prefer AA batteries because I'm fed up with throwing things away when the proprietary batteries give out.
Is the DiNotte still the best out there? Should I just get another one? Anyone using the 1 watt Planet Bike? Those look interesting and cost a whole lot less.
Thanks.
Getting something new and different is always a temptation, but why not reward the American made Dinotte company by getting another one and sticking with what works. You get to use the AA batteries and you get a mount that won't crack.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG
My Supernova E3 runs off my SON hub. I wasn't aware that they had a battery version. I Have the three LED version which Peter White refused to sell (although he may sell it now). I got it either from PBK or St John Cycle in the UK http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ (they are great).

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lights/index.htm
I got my E3 Triple or whatever it's called from Harris Cyclery.

Very bright light, no worries. I'll use it this week, that's for sure.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a 'lightweight' road wheel built up and getting another one with the handlebar mount for regular road bike riding at dusk and night for use with my Look or Serotta.

Here's my Redline, again. Most have seen it, but for those who haven't, the light is great. Pointed slightly downward (it looks like more than it really is) it illuminates what I need to see and it is hidden from view by the stem while riding. It's literally like you don't know it's there until you need it. And the drag is essentially inconsequential. I certainly can't feel it in hub while riding.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 AM

It's in the mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Smith
Getting something new and different is always a temptation, but why not reward the American made Dinotte company by getting another one and sticking with what works. You get to use the AA batteries and you get a mount that won't crack.
I like sticking with a winner.
Ordered the new XLM 3 which does use the rechargable Li battery. I can live with it. Should be coming this week.
Can't justify a dyno hub. I ride in dirty slush, salty nasty stuff that corrodes everything. Need to keep things simple and up out of the filth.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider
I like sticking with a winner.
Ordered the new XLM 3 which does use the rechargable Li battery. I can live with it. Should be coming this week.
Can't justify a dyno hub. I ride in dirty slush, salty nasty stuff that corrodes everything. Need to keep things simple and up out of the filth.
There is no bad choice there, but keep in mind that the dynamo hubs are in fact designed with crappy weather in mind. The Schmidt hub is German made and there are all kinds of stories of them going years with virtually no service at all. They are made for commuting on wet, German roads day in and day out. For years. My Shimano hub has a high quality feel and I've ridden it in all kinds of crappy weather with zero concern. They are well sealed.

I'm not saying you should for sure do it, but being free of battery life concerns is so nice. I've never heard of someone who went with a dynamo hub who regretted the decision.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM

I just picked up the knog boomer rechargeable's to replace a rear light that was swiped the one time I left it on my bike and a front knog that gave out after 2 years of (ab)use.

The boomer rechargables are awesome! Perfectly bright for city riding. At 50-55 lumens in the front I can see the light reflecting off of street signs nearly 2 blocks away!

But what I really love is that they charge through a USB drive! So I can charge it on my laptop while I get work done or surf the forums. Only problem is my MacBook is a bit older and the USB ports are too close together so I can only charge one at a time, but they also charge in the iPhone/iPod wall chargers.

But at about $40 each I'd strongly recommend them as an easily removable commuter light!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Not-so-Senior

The new Lezyne lights look intriguing. They use non-proprietary rechargeable Li-ion batteries, and are self-contained. The brightest of the 3 puts out 450 lumens.

http://lezyne.com/led-lights-category

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but saw reports about them from Interbike.

When I was commuting, I used a Dinotte 200L-AA on the handlebar, and a Costco-bought Eveready 1-AA headlamp on my helmet. The latter was very light, put out ~65 lumens, and was good for flashing drivers who looked inattentive. I used two Planetbike Superflash tail lights: one on my rear rack, and one hanging from the Roc Loc strap on my helmet. Reflectorized tires and stickers rounded out the package.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Those new Lezyne lights look sharp. Quite reasonable prices too, if they're engineered as well as my Lezyne floor pump.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM

here's a link to the rechargeableknog boomers for anyone whos interested.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM

I have a Cygolight Pace 350 that I picked up from Performance for around $100 in the summer. It does a great job for me cruising at 20mph in the predawn hours (6:00 a.m. with sunrise at 7). It is pretty compact and holds a decent charge. I've been pleased with the high beam and the flashing option for the end of my ride after sunrise. On the back I have a Mars 3.0 on my helmet (flashing) and a Mars 4.0 on the seat post (steady light). Being seen in the morning for me is VERY important. There are too many distracted commuters and I ride fairly quiet roads for DC standards (McArthur Blvd for the locals).

Last edited by Mike126; 10-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Retired!

Yaaawwwwnnn....

Here you go!

Kevin g
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy
Yaaawwwwnnn....

Here you go!

Kevin g
This got over $200K in Kickstarter funds? For a product that will cost over $200 that really doesn't something that can be done for about $20? Oh well.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leooooo
Finished my second ride last night with a NiteRider 600.
Anyone looking for a self contained unit, this is the way to go.

Pros:
Great for road riding, illuminates any potholes and large debris easily while going at 30mph.
CHEAP!
Light quality is very good (total opinion).
Quality Panasonic batteries, not some knock-off.

Cons:
May not be good for trail riding (lacking in spread, good helmet light?) or city riding (the lights will def blind oncoming traffic).
Claimed low, med, high settings has very little variance in practice. Maybe like 40 lumen difference between each setting. Was hoping for 100/300/600 or something of a sizable difference.
hold the on/off button down for 10 sec, that will activate the walk mode which is the dimmest setting. i think run time on that setting is about 10hrs and it's bright enough for urban riding.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I need you cool.

i am a big fan of Light & Motion....had one of their HID lights...totally awesome....upgraded to Seca 700 last year ($300+). Also have one of their Stella 200's ($150)

The Seca is great for really lighting up the road....the Stella is probably best as a dusk / dawn light where you want more to be seen, than needing it to see where you are going.

I run a Planet Bike rear light....($35)

Last edited by Ozz; 10-19-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added prices....
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achurch
Ship from NZ. Unless someone talks me out of it will order next week and post a report once delivered...

http://www.deptofadventure.com/categ...ycling-Lights/
Not particularly impressive. Not bad, just not as bright as I hoped (or I feel duped so I am pissed off and not able to actually evaluate impartially--see below).

My impression (based on shipping time, e-mail communication, packaging etc.) is that this is just an e-bay seller who has created some websites to misrepresent who they are. If I was to do-over would go with one of the better known brands. If I trusted I could return them I would. Since I don't (and they work) I will keep them but I would recommend against purchasing from them.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM

If you want to stay with AA batteries, I've had really good luck with B&M's Ixon IQ. I carry it as a backup to my dynamo system.