Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 PM

Older Quarq powermeters still worth looking at?

Hey, I have a nice Quarq hollowgram PM on my Supersix, and I really enjoy it. I also have a sram gxp stages that I use with a bb30 adapter in my Felt AR, and it works okay, but I hate using adapters.

I would love to get another quarq, but I am not spending 500+ on a third powermeter, which seems a bit much. I have seen that older Quarq Cinqo Saturn models are available, and have searched and read many articles, but most are at the time of release in about 2010. Some problems were mentioned in later Quarq releases that they improved on the Cinqo with water resistance, which must have been a problem with the Cinqo. However, if one is still working, should it still work okay?

Will the power match somewhat closely to the Hollowgram quarq I currently have?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:58 PM

I have had better luck with the Cinqos than with the Elsa generation. Had three of those die, while the Cinqos still work fine.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 PM

cinqo accuracy is solid. they do not like water. they're long outside of any sort of wty help from sram/quarq. if it dies (it will), they'll offer you a (generous) deal on a new unit.

not really worth more than the crank it's bolted to at this point.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:11 AM

My original Quarq S975 is still going strong (bought it new the first year they were out). I have a couple RIKENs as well, which were more of a mixed bag as far as reliability goes (eventually sorted out). The RIKENs did fit my Madones, where the S975 required the clearance of an external threaded bottom bracket.

For the last several years I've been picking up used SRMs- mostly PM6s and PM7s with Shimano and SRAM crankarms. Usually people sell them cheap when it comes time to replace the batteries. I either swap out the batteries myself (requires soldering) or send them back to SRM in Colorado for a refresh. They support their old stuff still, which I'm a fan of.

I mostly use my Quarqs for trainer bikes these days, and they are chugging along quite nicely. I didn't baby them over the years (lots of rain rides). They track pretty well with my SRMs and Powertap, which is more than I can say for the Stages I had.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I have had better luck with the Cinqos than with the Elsa generation. Had three of those die, while the Cinqos still work fine.
Interesting and hoping I don't run into that. I picked up a used Elsa a few years ago and it is working fine for me (previous owner updated the firmware to the version so it doesn't require a magnet). When it comes time to replace it I plan on finding a Power2Max SRAM 3-bolt spider (either a Type or an NG) or a used SRM one out on the market. Preferrably the Power2Max though since I don't have to mess with sending it in to replace the battery. While I'm not very good at soldering I do have a couple of people who I could ask though.

I've got a Power2Max Type S on my TT bike with Rotor 3D+ arms and that one lives on the trainer. It's been pretty solid too for the last couple of years (got it on closeout when they had them on sale to clear out stock to make way for NG eco release).
Old 02-18-2020, 08:44 AM

I have several P2M's and haven't had any trouble at all with them. Batteries are hard to change on one because of how bulky the frame is around the BB shell, but that's minor...
Old 02-18-2020, 09:01 AM

so it sounds like the old Cinqos are good for power accuracy, and are decently reliable, but to try to avoid water if possible? Any other help?

thanks!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:24 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Cinqo's are getting pretty dated and they didn't have good water resistance to begin with. They will not be covered under any type of warranty (ask me how I know).

Riken or Elsa is where I'd look for a spider around $200-300.

I picked up a full D-Zero SRAM eTap crankset with chainrings for $475 2 months ago and now I'm set for bluetooth future changes.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:37 AM

Hmm...so some polarizing views here. If I could find one for less than $200, would that be worth giving a try? Obviously there is no warranty. I have bought lots of stuff outside of warranty, but it was nearly $2000 new, so that is part of the risk I guess.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:40 AM

In my experience, if it fails and you send it in and it's out of warranty, they will offer to sell you a new unit for $550 or so. CC/Backcountry had them for that price recently...so not a great deal.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:13 AM

I've had a handful of Quarqs over different generations and they've generally been very good.

One comment though:. The latest DZero uses a different bolt pattern to previous units. When I wanted to upgrade to use the DuraAce chainrings I also needed to buy new arms which added considerably to the cost.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:56 AM

I've had two Quarqs over the years and both were fantastic. Most recently I just got rid of a bike with a Cinqo on it that is still working perfectly.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
Hmm...so some polarizing views here. If I could find one for less than $200, would that be worth giving a try? Obviously there is no warranty. I have bought lots of stuff outside of warranty, but it was nearly $2000 new, so that is part of the risk I guess.
For a functional one under that amount I'd say go for it. Still cheaper than what used Dura Ace Cranksets go for (the latest gen and previous to that). I think I saw one on the 'bay for just under $200 actually but it had longer crank arms than typical (recall 177.5). Or just watch a bunch of auctions or your local listings to see what will pop up.

I would also look into an K-Edge Chain Catcher with the SRM Magnet as I believe the Cinqo still requires one to operate. I used one of those previously when I did have an SRM. It was much easier to deal with and no worries about securing a magnet somewhere in the BB area.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM

One thing with the Cinqos, they supposedly only worked with certain chainrings. And they needed to be calibrated to the chainrings. You can do the calibration yourself if you have something with a known weight (down to the gram, ideally, not just a 10 pound dumbbell)

And yeah, they need a magnet. I tape a rare earth magnet to the frame, works fine, but ugly.