Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 10:50 PM
ergottWheels

I bought this almost 2 years ago (I think). This thing is close enough to the top aero performers of today that I get the benefits I need. It definitely has a much smaller frontal aera than the oversized "tubes" of today. It's not trying to hide a 28mm tire and I don't want it to. Comes in handy on those long solo efforts or when I'm on the front of the group. I can and do ride all my other non aero bikes all the time, but when I want that last bit of performance, I do reach for this bike.

Last edited by ergott; 02-17-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:05 PM

not great at posting files so screen shot of strava segments will have to do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 10.52.00 PM.jpg (36.0 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Comes in handy on those long solo efforts or when I'm on the front of the group. I can and do ride all my other non aero bikes all the time, but when I want that last bit of performance, I do reach for this bike.
Pretty much my rationale for acquiring the Dogma. It'll be fun for the days I feel like riding it. And on the other days, I'll ride my Kirk, or my gravel'er, and enjoy the scenery at more modest speeds and intensity levels.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
No offense just curious, could some of you post your ride files for these 28+ mph group rides? I’m really interested in seeing what they are.
https://www.strava.com/segments/3919479

Sauvie Shootout seems to take the 12mi loop at around 28 MPH.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
I have a 2019 BMC TimeMachine Road since spring of last year.. very content with it. Being a weightweenie @ heart... 7.4kg is tough to swallow sometimes when you had bikes down to 5.5kg
That is such a good looking bike.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:28 AM

Can't say I'm lusting but I have added two old school aero bikes to my collection of older, mainly steel, bikes.

This one is actually set up with a light set of C.F. 40mm deep rims now.

It carried me to my fastest century last fall.

Then I found this one locally for a dirt cheap price. Geared better for flat land riding.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:45 AM

I just took delivery of my Factor One disc yesterday. I had a Trek Madone 9 but the headtube was just too tall. H2 geo. Also it felt kinda soft to me, unnatural with the ISO decoupler system. It definitely works just I don't think a road bike should flex like that.

Really looking forward to trying this out. I have heard its a totally different beast. Very stiff and fast. I ended up getting the 80mm wheels you see in the pictures. They are actually 75mm This bike is also a first for me with disc brakes. Definitely was not a selling feature but... it sure makes for a clean bike with etap.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 AM

I'd rather have the self-discipline to lose enough weight to be back at my old race weight (I'd have to lose dozens of lbs) or even 15 lbs and feel better than spend the money on a bike that will depreciate like this.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:07 AM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I'd rather have the self-discipline to lose enough weight to be back at my old race weight (I'd have to lose dozens of lbs) or even 15 lbs and feel better than spend the money on a bike that will depreciate like this.
Aero road bikes do appear to have an above average depreciation, I wonder why that is.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Aero road bikes do appear to have an above average depreciation, I wonder why that is.
My guess would be that they are on the knife's edge of technology. They are the bees knees one minute, and as soon as the next version comes out, they are old hat. Not exactly the case, but these do appeal more to those looking to eek out the smallest of gains, and when the new ones are better, you are no longer the best.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:20 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

I had a 2012 Cervelo S5 VWD and it was stiff, but fast at the time. Strange brake mounting systems and integrated routing/wheel cutouts made changing components less easy than other bikes.

Today, I have a 2019 Tarmac Pro Disc, which is just as aero as the original Venge (basically the same aero-ness at my S5), except it has disc brakes, wider clearance, and easier brake mounting.

Overall, all aero road bikes today are more aero than the most aero road bikes were 5 years ago. As others have mentioned they take more time to setup, and can take more time to adjust if cables need to be cut each time the stem or bars are switched.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
I just took delivery of my Factor One disc yesterday. I had a Trek Madone 9 but the headtube was just too tall. H2 geo. Also it felt kinda soft to me, unnatural with the ISO decoupler system. It definitely works just I don't think a road bike should flex like that.
Nice looking Factor One!
Do you mind if I ask whats your weight and the size and year of the Madone you rode?
Thanks
Old 02-18-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
No offense just curious, could some of you post your ride files for these 28+ mph group rides? I’m really interested in seeing what they are.
Pretty much any A group ride around here, and the Tuesday / Thursday night paceline at Fiesta Island where speeds can reach in the mid 30s. See below from my F8 thread ......

Did some laps with the Tuesday night paceline pack tonight, its been awhile and normally I would feel a bit skittish at first with a pack of 30+ riders on a windy night at high speeds. I felt right at home on this F8 and the eTap, Clean39T said it best and Im stealing his quote as Im feeling the same about this F8 and myself ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'm blown away by how well this bike handles and how responsive it is just across the board - sprinting, climbing, motoring flat-out..
The fit is spot-on for me for this style of bike. I'm in horrible shape right now relative to where I've been, but it has me feeling much better than I should be when
giving it the gas. I'm pretty impressed by the vibration damping too. I'm running ....... 25c Coni Comps at 80-ish....., and it is not the least bit harsh.
All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised and happy I gave it a go. This scoot will hopefully be the inspiration I needed to get back to proper training and clean(er) living..

Old 02-18-2020, 09:33 AM

Not really. I mean if a madone showed up I'd ride it. However, I am thinking of getting an E-bike just to assist me in going out more. It's hard being fast for two decades then moving and reducing your annual mileage and gaining weight.

I got no problems with e-bikes and not sure why so many do.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
We're still seeing the first generation live through the upgrade cycle. The original Venge, Madone, S5, Propel, etc. were not that great, didn't have discs, didn't have good tire clearance, etc. That means limited resale value. The other issue is a lot of these have proprietary parts, which leads to similar issues as selling a custom bike. If you find a new Madone in your size, but the bars are 100x46, it'll take some coin to get the right ones sourced, and that impacts the sales price. The more integrated the bike, the more of an issue that can become.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk