Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 08:24 PM

I too am thinking pretty hard about a Madone. I think I want custom paint though. I am looking to get white and black color scheme.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Out of curiosity, what size is your bike and what wheels and group are you using?

I have a Size 54 AR2 with 8050 Di2 and a 1700 g wheelset, and I can't get it to less than 16 lbs without some significant changes (wheels swapped for something 1475 g, with racing tires), Dura Ace cassette, and EE brake rear.

If yours is 16.5 pretty much stock, that's quite the feat
Hey! It is a size 56. I am running a mix set of components. I sold the 6800 set that came on it, and fitted the frame with stuff I mostly had to save cash, and because my other bikes are 10 speed.

Sram red 10 speed shifters
Rival front deraillur
Force rear
Sram red black front brake
Tectro(I think) direct mount rear
Williams ACS handlebar(about 230g)
FSA Energy 110mm stem with Ti bolts
Currently FSA SLK cranks with Praxis rings(took the Sram red GXP/rival PM off)

Wheels are handbuilt by me:
Front-3T Accelero 40 pro rim to American Classic 58 hub, laser spokes(about 700g, not bad for a deep aluminum rim)
Rear is a Tune hub to Kinlin XR31T rim with laser NDS, Wheelsmith DS. About 835ish grams

Conti Grand prix tires(5000front, 4000s 25mm rear), latex tubes
Lizard skin bar tape
Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals.
x11sl chain
sram red xg1090 cassette.

Just weighted it again at 16.08lbs with the garmin mount and elite aero bottle cage mount. Not bad. As the bike shops would review it without pedals, cage, or garmin mount, it would be just about 15.3 or so.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 PM

After some research I just bought a Madone too. I loved the Bianchi, but the geometry did not work for me. Venge was not pleasant and I did not love the Pinarello either. My local Trek shop is great and after reading many outstanding reviews and favorable test ride I decided to give Trek a try.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
Hey! It is a size 56. I am running a mix set of components. I sold the 6800 set that came on it, and fitted the frame with stuff I mostly had to save cash, and because my other bikes are 10 speed.

Sram red 10 speed shifters
Rival front deraillur
Force rear
Sram red black front brake
Tectro(I think) direct mount rear
Williams ACS handlebar(about 230g)
FSA Energy 110mm stem with Ti bolts
Currently FSA SLK cranks with Praxis rings(took the Sram red GXP/rival PM off)

Wheels are handbuilt by me:
Front-3T Accelero 40 pro rim to American Classic 58 hub, laser spokes(about 700g, not bad for a deep aluminum rim)
Rear is a Tune hub to Kinlin XR31T rim with laser NDS, Wheelsmith DS. About 835ish grams

Conti Grand prix tires(5000front, 4000s 25mm rear), latex tubes
Lizard skin bar tape
Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals.
x11sl chain
sram red xg1090 cassette.

Just weighted it again at 16.08lbs with the garmin mount and elite aero bottle cage mount. Not bad. As the bike shops would review it without pedals, cage, or garmin mount, it would be just about 15.3 or so.
Very nice!

Certainly gives me some food for thought
Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Responding to the OP, in a word YES!.
I would love to get one, I was always about light but I would love to get on the aero bandwagon.
I am not sure it is my budget right now so I haven't looked at any particular models yet, but the idea of going faster sounds very sweet to me.
I would love to get one with rim brakes so that might make it a bit tricky.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Responding to the OP, in a word YES!.
I would love to get one, I was always about light but I would love to get on the aero bandwagon.
I am not sure it is my budget right now so I haven't looked at any particular models yet, but the idea of going faster sounds very sweet to me.
I would love to get one with rim brakes so that might make it a bit tricky.
Not gonna lie, the validation that there are others that see the appeal of dropping $$$ on very marginal gains is liberating!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 PM

Another vote for not lusting, just enjoying. I'm mid 50s and ride similarly fast (28+, avg 25-6 mph) group rides routinely. I'm also mildly retro-grouch (still drag out the 27 year old Giordana to shock and hang with the young'uns) but picked up a Scott Foil when the disc version came out in 2018. It was a revelation. Not just because of the aero gains, which were probably pretty marginal, but I also finally got some more aero wheels over my trusty Open Pros, so when we were in the upper 20s or faster, closing gaps & sprinting, heck yeah you could feel it. no doubt majority of that was in the wheels, but the frame surely didn't hurt and moreover, since this latest generation of bikes are allowing for fatter 28c tires (which don't feel one bit slower), along with the dropped seat stays transmitting road shock less directly to your seat, it really was a "stiffer but more compliant" ride that is usually the fodder of marketing dept's. That's one of the things that gets lost in the beaten-to-death disc brake debate (and I've said this before): it's not just about the brakes, it is also the seat stays can be dropped for aero and ride quality, and the frame no longer needs a rear brake bridge so that area too can be a little more compliant. I hate sounding like a shill for Scott (and most of the designs are pretty similar anyway) but they definitely dialed back the stiffness of the original Foil which was known to be a teeth rattler, whereas my bike--to my great surprise, and again some/much of this is thanks to the 28c tires--floats over the crap pavement when compared to my 2007 Bianchi with carbon stays mated to steel front triangle running 25c tires and comfy 32h Open Pros, but the Foil is much stiffer (in a good way) at the bottom bracket and head tube. So don't let the ride quality be an immediate deal breaker. Depending on the bike, it might actually be better.

ps as much as I'm digging the Foil, I have bike envy for the new Addict RC: they took lots of the aero gains of the Foil, kept it lighter, and made all the cables disappear (and just as importantly, kept the damned thing easy to service--you can swap stems and bars without messing up the cables). Unfortunately, my inner retro grouch prefers a good old round drop bar that is neither shallow nor ergo so I couldn't get quite that integration of cables for now, but they are some pretty bikes. A good friend just sprang for the premium model and it is stunning. I guess technically it is not the "aero" bike in Scott's range, but it looks pretty close to the Foil and has gotten some great reviews.

Oh, also have a friend on the Oltre. He loves it and swears by the countervail--same story, stiff but somehow comfy ride.

link to Addict RC review

Last edited by giordana93; 02-17-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-17-2020, 09:58 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

A few years ago Specialized loaned me a Venge, so I took it out on a club ride and won all of the town lines in style. I didn't like the ride of the Venge and I wound up on a Tarmac, but the speed and acceleration of the made an impression. This year I'm coaching a few good sprinters, so I'm looking to regain the speed I once had. I bought a Venge.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:03 PM

Yes. Bought an S5 and love it. Just got a Foil frame to build up. Still want a Factor One, a Madone SLR, and a Wilier Cento10Air.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:04 PM

No offense just curious, could some of you post your ride files for these 28+ mph group rides? I’m really interested in seeing what they are.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:10 PM

LOOK 795 Blade RS

this one has my eye...style and logical details...aero + comfort with a minimum of proprietary components

Reviews have been consistently good...fwiw
Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 PM

28+ mph group rides? Wow, I suck.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 PM

I have a 2019 BMC TimeMachine Road since spring of last year.. very content with it. Being a weightweenie @ heart... 7.4kg is tough to swallow sometimes when you had bikes down to 5.5kg

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 02-17-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
No offense just curious, could some of you post your ride files for these 28+ mph group rides? I’m really interested in seeing what they are.
I have no electronics on my bike so I have no files to post, but I've been on a few fast rides. The A ride from Naples Cyclery is a good example, 27 mile loop in about 55 minutes.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:34 PM

I noted in parentheses that the average is closer to 25, but there are plenty of 28 mph bursts. It is dead flat around here and we're not talking 50 milers, more like the evening 30 mile blitz. It only takes a couple monsters dragging us along to reach those speeds. Kids are fast these days.