Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 04:58 PM

It was sticker shock. Then it was the little charges - economy plus... aisle seat... etc... Then the check bag fee... MEANWHILE I have one day I can go and ride by the bay, where my mom grew up. Lots of childhood memories I have heard about... but I have never had a bike with me to go... So I figured a S&S coupled bike can't possibly cost that much to bring... RIGHT? Wrong. Another charge... for a bike... even if it is in a case... (I MIGHT get away with it from what I am told... depends on WHO is at the counter).

Flying in the 80's was a pleasure. Even in the 90's. I stopped after 9/11. Only helicopters for me since then... and only when necessary. I have grown to hate airports. They represent a loss of freedom we once had - on many fronts.

Funerals are never pleasant, but they are a time to reflect on family, memories, and the individual being remembered. For me, and I believe many of us here, a long ride is part of how we process. My solo rides are like therapy to me. It just won't be this time. Ah, hell - It will be raining in Washington anyway... It always is.

Forgive my rant - Flying sucks and I stand by my statement.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:58 PM

FYI - the Kimberly Clark pulp mill closed years ago so no more pulp smell. But there are other smells you’ll contend with in Everett.

There are a few decent bike shops you can rent bikes from if you have time. Ride into Snohomish for some quiet riding or head on the Interurban into Seattle.

And don’t recline!
Old 02-17-2020, 05:23 PM

Speaking of recline, the old small Dash-8s (100/300 series) had some amount of recline built into the seat. They didn’t recline more but they were pretty comfortable with their prebuilt recline.

Most folks didn’t like those but I enjoyed flying in them, as a passenger, which I did often from about 2005 until 2016 in and out of PHL.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
flight from East Coast to Seattle... Right. Freaking fortune. Almost 900 bucks unless .... For the love of God, I can fly to Europe for less...
Sorry about your Aunt & hope she had a good life.

What you said about the prices for flights within the US I agree
& never understood why. Always more expensive to fly within US than to Europe or Asia even though the international flights twice as long....makes no sense
Old 02-17-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinrchan View Post
FYI - the Kimberly Clark pulp mill closed years ago so no more pulp smell. But there are other smells you’ll contend with in Everett.

There are a few decent bike shops you can rent bikes from if you have time. Ride into Snohomish for some quiet riding or head on the Interurban into Seattle.

And don’t recline!
I haven't been back to Seattle/Everett in a LONG time. I remember it as beautiful, green, with lots of rain. Ill pack shoes, pedals and a B-17. I wonder what the upcharge is for a B-17... an extra seat?
Old 02-17-2020, 05:34 PM

Take a helicopter.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Speaking of recline, the old small Dash-8s (100/300 series) had some amount of recline built into the seat. They didn’t recline more but they were pretty comfortable with their prebuilt recline.

Most folks didn’t like those but I enjoyed flying in them, as a passenger, which I did often from about 2005 until 2016 in and out of PHL.
ha!

i still fly Raven Air a few times a year in Dash-8's.

Lovely plane that actually feels like you're flying!
Old 02-17-2020, 05:52 PM
what's a little rust?

Sorry about your aunt. I'm glad you're able to make the trip, even though your rant is accurate.

I've never had to do so, but I've heard that your loss is worth mentioning to the airline. There may be accommodations they can make for you.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:56 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ha!

i still fly Raven Air a few times a year in Dash-8's.

Lovely plane that actually feels like you're flying!

I also love the little commercial prop planes. I was lucky enough to have my first experience as a teenager, boarding in Boise (after a week of skiing) and landing in Redmond, OR (for another week of skiing).

Dad was a little obsessed with skiing. Anyway, I loved the way the thing buzzed and vibrated and bounced around on air currents--still do. Seems every flight there are several people who do not love it.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Kinda what I thought. Pretty unnecessary
Thank you.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:32 PM

The honest reality is we are fortunate to live in a time when it is possible to go anywhere in the world on short notice. Think about that statement - It may be unpleasant (it is) and expensive (that too) but it is possible. We can video chat instantly almost anywhere in the world... again, not even 15 years ago you could not make the same claim. It is easy to complain when today more and more of the world are moving up in living standards. We are able to feed more people, provide access to educational content unthinkable not even half a century ago, even 20 years ago. We are living in an incredible era - it is easy to forget that most of humanity has not had it as easy as we do today. I will be grateful to sit upright for less than half of a day and cross a continent... and back again for less than 1.3% of the average US family household income. While I am bitching, I must step back and think about this a little bit... crossing a continent and back... and I am paying a premium price due to last minute travel needs. I could probably get that down in half if I had time to shop... It is so easy to forget what we actually have all around us that we really pay next to nothing to use. Even medical costs... Let's just say you are not insured - Think of the overall costs that go into the training of a surgical team, CCU/ICU, step down unit, etc... Then the electronics, the MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, EKG monitoring, etc... The costs are HUGE - not counting the developmental costs over the decades to get to where we are today... communication networks, satellites, computers, software, ALL OF IT - and you can have a pacemaker jammed in your heart for ~between 30-60k. THINK ABOUT IT! That is CHEAP! A computer in your chest that continuously reads your heart rhythm, makes your heart beat when it needs to, and shocks it when necessary... all with a battery that lasts a decade... It really is incredible. Saab mentioned a fully charged iPad - You can buy an iPad for under 1.3% of the average US family income... In 1950 you had a radio... PERHAPS a black and white TV... No pacemakers, rudimentary surgery... etc... Food for thought.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

I never liked the middle seat in row 9...the only middle seat on that aircraft...and it seemed to have my name embroidered on it. I flew quite a few legs from PIT-ITH for a 3 year period. From a passenger perspective, they seemed to get airborne pretty quickly and come to a stop pretty quickly.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 PM
Everything is connected

PS...mix of sun for the most part in Seattle this week and near 50F...you should have a good trip.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Take a helicopter.
Only for work. I still can't figure out how they stay in the air.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
PS...mix of sun for the most part in Seattle this week and near 50F...you should have a good trip.
Thanks