Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 09:31 AM
il Curmudgeoni

I own it. Sure, other bikes interest me but this is such a great bike that I could live with it alone if needed. The one thing that I do wish I would have done is to request a threaded fork....that's the only flaw in it IMO.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Yep, that's mine!

Dammit! Why do you always have the best bikes on the site! I want one of those
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Dammit! Why do you always have the best bikes on the site! I want one of those
Best bikes AND best roads/groads/trails..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 AM
what's a little rust?

I still want a ti hampsten strada bianca with a steel fork, Paul racer mediums, and a list of 700x28 to 700x35 tires to try.

There are some beautiful disc brake, big tire bikes that tempt me, but I can't seem to shake the SB crush.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
for the most part, everyone has described almost the exact same bike. maybe we've reached the high water mark of what a modern gravel bike has become?
I think it says more about the demographics of people contributing to this forum, and their fondness for titanium (or steel).
Old 02-16-2020, 12:04 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Yep, that's mine!
Looks perfect. Basically no logos, only change I would make is to have the 3rd bottle cage located inside the triangle and not under the bb area.

Really like the TwinSix Ti Rando if it were updated to flat mounts and a threaded bottom bracket.

Last edited by kppolich; 02-16-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I think it says more about the demographics of people contributing to this forum, and their fondness for titanium (or steel).
I have three /four (if you include HT MTB) friends who have cracked their carbon gravel bike frames since Christmas. All different manufacturers. All non-crash related. Two of them manufactures didn’t warranty. Get a Ti gravel bike is my conclusion.

Last edited by joosttx; 02-16-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:00 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I have three /four (if you include HT MTB) friends who have cracked their carbon gravel bike frames since Christmas. All different manufacturers. All non-crash related. Two of them manufactures didn’t warranty. Get a Ti gravel bike is my conclusion.

Cracking in what use? Some rock grinding going on?

I have been of the camp loose thrown material and carbon makes little sense. But then again carbon MTB been surviving well mostly.

Last edited by robt57; 02-16-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Doesn't change my statement.

If you asked the same question on another forum (e.g. weight weenies), they'd reach a different consensus.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Wow! I cracked my HT MTB but it was an open mold Chinese frame and it served me well so I couldn’t complain. Those are some crazy numbers, that sucks.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Doesn't change my statement.

If you asked the same question on another forum (e.g. weight weenies), they'd reach a different consensus.
Good point. I’m just amazed at the recent carbon gravel bike failures I seen.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

I hate that I have to agree but my OPEN has been kind of a nightmare. I would not buy one again. I need to make a better post about this but after finally changing gearing to 1X and being like, wow this is how this bike was suppose to be, I look at my seatpost clamp and it has pinched the carbon. I messaged OPEN and they tell me this is totally fine and I can ride like this but to me its not normal... I did nothing wrong, greased the bolt, torqued it to 4.5nm (with a quality tool), this should not have happened and if it has that is what the warranty is for (I feel like the warranty does not cover anything, they can always say its my fault). Anyways, for another time.
THAT SAID, the bike is a DREAM to ride, one of the best bikes I ever ridden, its incredible but I wish I had no problem with it and it had been a great bike.... it is my only bike I bought new, definitely the most expensive frame I ever had and the bike I had the most problems with... go figure. It sucks because otherwise the OPEN would be (and it was) a dream gravel bike but it has turned into a nightmare.

I like titanium bikes, they look awesome but without trying to disrespect a lot of people here, to me they all look the same and therefor a little boring. I think its an awesome material and to be fair, kind of perfect for gravel but if I was to buy one, I would paint it I also like steel and would love something with a carbon fork for those fast day rides and also a steel fork I can put a rack on. I think something like my Cielo Base racer but with space for bigger tires.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 02-16-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:39 PM

I already have my dream gravel bike, though it would be even dreamier if it had GRX Di2 or Etap :-)

What I really dream about is having more gravel roads I can ride without having to drive an hour or more to them...
Old 02-16-2020, 02:40 PM

Remember that Speedvagen sale? I just couldn't help myself. The only issue is we're in the dead of winter here in Vermont and all I can do is look at it on my stand for the next two months!

My gravel bike requirements: road bike set up with some drop and room for 38's. This bike is set up 650b with 48's on it. I'm going to get another set of 700 wheels for it (or another driver for my current CX wheels - damn you XDR driver!) and see which I like better. Most of the gravel I ride around here is just dirt roads with some occasional goat paths thrown in. I'd been loving my 35mm G1 speed tires on widish rims on my Routt RSL. The Routt was just a little too big for me with not enough drop. I always felt on top of the bike instead of in it. Looking forward to steel is real!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV19_SltMust_RR_50.jpg (115.1 KB, 224 views)
Old 02-16-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Can you provide any more details about the types of failures they had and the bikes they were riding? Would be useful input to know what to engineer around.