Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 11:57 AM

Schwinn, 1987 World Championships

Schwinn's 1988 Cycling Catalog.

Schwinn claims to have won a 1987 World Cycling Championship, anyone aware of which won, road, TT, cyclocross...etc. If you know which championship, who was the rider?

Prologue
1987 World Champion in its very first year. An eloquent complement to the craftsmanship and precision of the Paramount line. Hand brazed, carefully engineered and perfectly finished, the Prologue is a high performance racing frameset that's perfect for the road criteriums and all around training.

1988 schwinn prologue

Last edited by m_sasso; 02-15-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:02 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

I am going from memory but a Dave fellow whose name I cannot recall won a Masters level Worlds Road Race (on a Schwinn) in that time period. Happy to be corrected.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:30 PM

Is it possible that the bike was built by Schwinn, but then finished to look like it was produced by another firm? For example, Litespeed built some bikes that were ridden by Lance Armstrong, but were branded as a Trek bike.

Ned Overend rode for Schwinn and won a NORBA mountain bike NATIONAL championship in 1987, but that's not a World championship.

The only road events in the 1987 world championships were pro men, amateur men, pro women, and 2 team time trials, men's and women's. None of these events were won by Americans, the most likely riders to be on a Schwinn.

Rebecca Twigg won a World Championship in pursuit in 1987, and she did ride for Schwinn during her career, so that's a possibility.

Last edited by bthornt; 02-15-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
I am going from memory but a Dave fellow whose name I cannot recall won a Masters level Worlds Road Race (on a Schwinn) in that time period. Happy to be corrected.
Steve Johnson and Jackie Simes lll each won a race... I don't remember what they rode.

Last edited by Hindmost; 02-15-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:41 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Steve Johnson and Jackie Simes lll each won a race...
A World Championship (that year)?
Okay. If they rode Schwinn bicycles then maybe it's them. Or one of them.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
A World Championship (that year)?
Okay. If they rode Schwinn bicycles then maybe it's them. Or one of them.
Yes, 1987. And then a number American women podiumed. Staying at the "American" hotel it became obligatory to go down to town for the evening podium ceremonies.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:57 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Yes, 1987. And then a number American women podiumed. Staying at the "American" hotel it became obligatory to go down to town for the evening podium ceremonies.
So which rider was it? It appears that you have a link to draw from. I can only find UCI race results for WC that year, but no amateur stuff. Johnson and Simes would been well past the National Team ages by this point.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:13 PM

Yes, I'm referring to the various age-graded Masters racing in St. Johann. I don't have any records, just memory. And that memory doesn't include any specific bikes. I do remember that the beer, schnitzel and pastry were good.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:22 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Yes, I'm referring to the various age-graded Masters racing in St. Johann. I don't have any records, just memory. And that memory doesn't include any specific bikes. I do remember that the beer, schnitzel and pastry were good.
Cool. Were you there racing or in the entourage?
Old 02-15-2020, 06:18 PM

A group of us did Masters racing for two weeks in Austria leading up to the worlds where I raced the 35-37 year category. Got spanked by some pretty good riders but it was great racing with large fields in great place. I hung out a bit with some of the boys from Sun Valley. Those big loopy tri bars were their secret weapon. It was then legal to run them in mass start events. Jackie Simes lll and I had a conversation questioning that in the laundry room/bike storage area one afternoon.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:23 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
A group of us did Masters racing for two weeks in Austria leading up to the worlds where I raced the 35-37 year category. Got spanked by some pretty good riders but it was great racing with large fields in great place. I hung out a bit with some of the boys from Sun Valley. Those big loopy tri bars were their secret weapon. It was then legal to run them in mass start events. Jackie Simes lll and I had a conversation questioning that in the laundry room/bike storage area one afternoon.
Cool. So back to the original point. Who do you think won Worlds such that Schwinn could promote the victory?
Old 02-15-2020, 06:54 PM

I found an excerpt from a book by Lou Dzierzak talking about Schwinn winning “two consecutive NORBA National Championships and the 1987 World Championship.” Once you’ve had a bike win worlds in any event, can you stripe all of your frames?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:01 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I found an excerpt from a book by Lou Dzierzak talking about Schwinn winning “two consecutive NORBA National Championships and the 1987 World Championship.” Once you’ve had a bike win worlds in any event, can you stripe all of your frames?
It’s a strip of paper under some clear varnish. Despite rules if there even are any (enforceable or otherwise), the answer is yes. You can decorate your bicycle any way you want.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:13 PM

Michael Vaarten was on team Schwinn when he won the Keirin in... 1986?

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coure...coureurid=6871
Old 02-15-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
It’s a strip of paper under some clear varnish. Despite rules if there even are any (enforceable or otherwise), the answer is yes. You can decorate your bicycle any way you want.
Actually, there are rules about this. The rainbow stripes are a registered trademark of the UCI, and can't be used without permission of the UCI.

For competitors, only the current World Champion can use the rainbow stripes on their bikes or other equipment.

As far as bikes for non-competitors, probably the only rule is that you canonly continue to use the rainbow stripes as long as you keep paying a licensing fee to the UCI.