Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
The honest reality is we are fortunate to live in a time when it is possible to go anywhere in the world on short notice. Think about that statement - It may be unpleasant (it is) and expensive (that too) but it is possible. We can video chat instantly almost anywhere in the world... again, not even 15 years ago you could not make the same claim. It is easy to complain when today more and more of the world are moving up in living standards. We are able to feed more people, provide access to educational content unthinkable not even half a century ago, even 20 years ago. We are living in an incredible era - it is easy to forget that most of humanity has not had it as easy as we do today. I will be grateful to sit upright for less than half of a day and cross a continent... and back again for less than 1.3% of the average US family household income. While I am bitching, I must step back and think about this a little bit... crossing a continent and back... and I am paying a premium price due to last minute travel needs. I could probably get that down in half if I had time to shop... It is so easy to forget what we actually have all around us that we really pay next to nothing to use. Even medical costs... Let's just say you are not insured - Think of the overall costs that go into the training of a surgical team, CCU/ICU, step down unit, etc... Then the electronics, the MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, EKG monitoring, etc... The costs are HUGE - not counting the developmental costs over the decades to get to where we are today... communication networks, satellites, computers, software, ALL OF IT - and you can have a pacemaker jammed in your heart for ~between 30-60k. THINK ABOUT IT! That is CHEAP! A computer in your chest that continuously reads your heart rhythm, makes your heart beat when it needs to, and shocks it when necessary... all with a battery that lasts a decade... It really is incredible. Saab mentioned a fully charged iPad - You can buy an iPad for under 1.3% of the average US family income... In 1950 you had a radio... PERHAPS a black and white TV... No pacemakers, rudimentary surgery... etc... Food for thought.
This is a healthy perspective. As a person who has covered long distances under human power in a canoe, on foot, and on a bike. It is no small wonder. It is mind blowing to spend 60 days covering a 1600km section of a continent in a canoe then to fly over the same route in 2 hours. Modern travel is really not a torture.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I never liked the middle seat in row 9...the only middle seat on that aircraft...and it seemed to have my name embroidered on it. I flew quite a few legs from PIT-ITH for a 3 year period. From a passenger perspective, they seemed to get airborne pretty quickly and come to a stop pretty quickly.
Thankfully, it’s a pretty short flight. I’ve done many flights into ITH and PIT but none between the two. I do like that part of the US. Very, very pretty. I still get to PIT quite regularly.

The Dash 8 gets airborne quickly and stops quickly because it’s quite slow. Slow flight is often a good thing, especially in a place like ITH.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Quit complaining. Your aunt died; endure the cost out of respect for her.

You own expensive bicycles; you can handle it.
His aunt died. He's being gouged by one of the least popular industries in the country. You don't want to hear him complain? Nobody's making you read the thread. Get a grip on yourself.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:36 PM
The B!

I'd sworn off flying around the time TSA became a thing. I recently had to fly from Austin to Portland for a family emergency, and I was absolutely shocked at how easy and cheap the whole thing was.

-I didn't have legit ID of any kind, just a paper print out the VA gave me as a temporary
-I walked up to the Southwest counter at the airport and paid cash
-The ticket was $164 total (one way)
-My flight left in 4 hours
-One transfer with about an hour hold in San Jose
-Checked my one bag, no problems
-TSA had me through the checkpoint in 15 minutes or less - Just asked me a bunch of questions which proved my identity
-I stared out the window and marveled at the view the entire two flights, served endless cookies, coffee, and booze

Maybe I just got lucky?

I plan to fly more!

Last edited by Dead Man; 02-17-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 PM

I think I could manage private or charter flights.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Speaking of recline, the old small Dash-8s (100/300 series) had some amount of recline built into the seat. They didn’t recline more but they were pretty comfortable with their prebuilt recline.

Most folks didn’t like those but I enjoyed flying in them, as a passenger, which I did often from about 2005 until 2016 in and out of PHL.
That's the way it ought to be..I flew a Airbus 320..very simple seats, no gizmos in the seat back in front, no screen or anything and I don't think they reclined...BUT bolt upright vs fixed reclined just a wee bit wont make any difference in a crash anyway..

For right above
Quote:
I think I could manage private or charter flights.
Bring yer wallet!! Gonna be way more than the $900 the OP paid..East coats to Seattle. WAY more.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-18-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:08 AM
Older Than You

Not like the good old days...
In 1982 I flew on a Boeing 747 business class from DFW to London Gatwick.
The seats appeared to be something like a La Z Boy recliner with plenty of room all the way around. All the beer wine liquor you could drink with a choice of 3 entrees for the dinner meal. Cloth napkins, real silverware and a heated wash cloth to wipe your hands after the meal.

I did the same thing in 1983. Seating was downgraded some but the food and drinks were the same.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 AM

At 6'4" I feel your pain when it comes to cattle cars. My last flight a few months ago I spent 18 hours in the airport waiting for a mechanic, supposedly.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
The seats appeared to be something like a La Z Boy recliner with plenty of room all the way around. All the beer wine liquor you could drink with a choice of 3 entrees for the dinner meal. Cloth napkins, real silverware and a heated wash cloth to wipe your hands after the meal.

I did the same thing in 1983. Seating was downgraded some but the food and drinks were the same.
Well, when they got rid of all of that (for cost savings, see: The $40,000 olive) they also got rid of a huge excess waste of fuel. Business class has about 3x the carbon footprint of a standard fare, partially because of the room and partially because of the amenities. Flying shouldn't be luxurious, it's transport. The luxury/comfort aspect shoots the (already deplorable carbon footpring) through the roof.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
The honest reality is we are fortunate to live in a time when it is possible to go anywhere in the world on short notice. Think about that statement - It may be unpleasant (it is) and expensive (that too) but it is possible. We can video chat instantly almost anywhere in the world... again, not even 15 years ago you could not make the same claim. It is easy to complain when today more and more of the world are moving up in living standards. We are able to feed more people, provide access to educational content unthinkable not even half a century ago, even 20 years ago. We are living in an incredible era - it is easy to forget that most of humanity has not had it as easy as we do today. I will be grateful to sit upright for less than half of a day and cross a continent... and back again for less than 1.3% of the average US family household income. While I am bitching, I must step back and think about this a little bit... crossing a continent and back... and I am paying a premium price due to last minute travel needs. I could probably get that down in half if I had time to shop... It is so easy to forget what we actually have all around us that we really pay next to nothing to use. Even medical costs... Let's just say you are not insured - Think of the overall costs that go into the training of a surgical team, CCU/ICU, step down unit, etc... Then the electronics, the MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, EKG monitoring, etc... The costs are HUGE - not counting the developmental costs over the decades to get to where we are today... communication networks, satellites, computers, software, ALL OF IT - and you can have a pacemaker jammed in your heart for ~between 30-60k. THINK ABOUT IT! That is CHEAP! A computer in your chest that continuously reads your heart rhythm, makes your heart beat when it needs to, and shocks it when necessary... all with a battery that lasts a decade... It really is incredible. Saab mentioned a fully charged iPad - You can buy an iPad for under 1.3% of the average US family income... In 1950 you had a radio... PERHAPS a black and white TV... No pacemakers, rudimentary surgery... etc... Food for thought.

Very good perspective.
I’m currently reading Tightrope. Some people can’t afford an iPad, an airplane flight, or even a basic trip to a doctor.
Best wishes on your trip.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave View Post
Well, when they got rid of all of that (for cost savings, see: The $40,000 olive) they also got rid of a huge excess waste of fuel. Business class has about 3x the carbon footprint of a standard fare, partially because of the room and partially because of the amenities. Flying shouldn't be luxurious, it's transport. The luxury/comfort aspect shoots the (already deplorable carbon footpring) through the roof.
Quit yer whining...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images(12) copy.jpg (11.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post

And was everyone smoking or had it been banned by then? I remember ashtrays in the armrests.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
And was everyone smoking or had it been banned by then? I remember ashtrays in the armrests.
oh man, now there is something we can all be really thankful for. I can't even imagine spending 6+ hours in a metal tube full of people smoking. that must have been really terrible for non smokers, and deadly for flight attendants. yuck!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:21 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I don't remember anyone smoking.
Actually the highlight of the trip was the breakfast buffet at the Gatwick Hilton.
I don't know how they managed to cram so much flavor into their pastries. I was quite a bit heavier in those days and even heavier after that breakfast...

Last edited by biker72; 02-18-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
oh man, now there is something we can all be really thankful for. I can't even imagine spending 6+ hours in a metal tube full of people smoking. that must have been really terrible for non smokers, and deadly for flight attendants. yuck!
Flew to Japan in 1980, flew to HongKong and wife to Thailand 1981/2 and yup, flew back to US commercial in 1983 and yup, still disgusting smoking on those planes..17 hours back to US...painful...