Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 AM

Moots Routt YBB

https://moots.com/bike/routt-ybb/

Anyone hear about this? I got an email yesterday from Moots. And now I am intrigued. Having never ridden the Mooto YBB, I wonder how much "bob" is in the YBB system. The lack of a "bob" while on asphalt is a good thing for a bike like the Routt.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:41 AM

Well, I've had a Mooto-X YBB for ~5 years now, and when it is on the paved surfaces I never notice any rear-end bob. I know, different set-up and all, but the Mooto-X has been the perfect softtail mtb for me, and I really like the look of this Routt YBB. Very tempting, as it would hit a lot of marks for me, and allow some overall consolidation in my bikes.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:49 AM

When do we really want a consolidation of our bikes?
I, for one, if I could afford it, would want a bike for my every mood.

But yeah, the Routt (RSL, 45, and the YBB) lineup is very impressive. JJust love how beefy the seatstay and the chainstays are on the Routt RSL!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (76.6 KB, 541 views)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:49 AM

That seems really cool. Aesthetically, I'd prefer it over the Lauf Grit fork, for example, which is too weird looking for me.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 AM

This is the bike that I tried to get Moots to build for me several years ago, and ended up getting a Firefly. I still have my old YBB, and a very early generation Psychlo-X YBB disc that was what sparked my interest in a Routt YBB. The prototype Moots showed of this bike at NAHBS last year (with the Fox suspension fork) did not have the flat mount dropout—glad that the production version does.

To nmrt re “bob,” the YBB tends to be somewhat polarizing. I personally don’t notice the movement of the elastomer except under certain conditions, but I know several folks for whom the suspension drives them nuts. I love my YBBs, and will have to think long and hard about the Routt YBB...
Old 02-28-2019, 10:57 AM

I have the YBB on my Litespeed Unicoi dropbar conversion and don't notice any bobbing on the road at all
Old 02-28-2019, 01:37 PM

Is the YBB lock-able so it doesn't "bob"? If so, is the "fixed" mode suitable for long-term riding if one's in that mood?

I think it's great that Moots is offering this — much more compelling than the anodized graphics which feel like chasing, but never catching up to, Firefly's work.

Also IIRC, it's possible to install a Gates belt-drive via the gap created from disassembling the YBB mechanism.

Last edited by ispy; 02-28-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Yes you can lock it out. I never noticed Bob but I did find the rear end "soft" somewhat annoyingly so when climbing on paved tarmac. But that's not really this bikes raison d'etre. Just don't expect a free lunch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 09:28 PM

A year later, wondering if there are more people with direct experience with one of these. A few specific questions.

Does locking it out remove the squishy feeling climbing on paved roads?
What is involved in locking it out? Easy to do mid ride?
Is it really much better than just running bigger/softer tires?
Any maintenance issues?

Thanks, Paul
Old 02-18-2020, 04:16 AM

Have the YBB on a Moots Mooto X Mountain Bike. Cannot lockout during ride, not too soft, actually I don't even notice it, but I'm on rough trails mainly. No maintenance issues to speak of and Moots does offer a replacement bushing if current system fails. I am very happy to have over a hard tail.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
A year later, wondering if there are more people with direct experience with one of these. A few specific questions.

1)Does locking it out remove the squishy feeling climbing on paved roads?
2)What is involved in locking it out? Easy to do mid ride?
3)Is it really much better than just running bigger/softer tires?
4)Any maintenance issues?

Thanks, Paul
1) Not much 'squishy' feeling with it engaged. PLUS you can get a stiffer spring.As above, in mixed road riding, I don't think you'll really 'notice' it. I sold a lot of Vamoots(road only) with YBB.
2) Allen wrench.Not hard but not 'on the handlebar' type lockout
3) 'Better'?? It's a great system, Moots has had it for decades. Not really like bigger softer tires..kinda takes the 'edge' off with bumps w/o any payback like a big squishy tire with low pressure would be
4) Not really..I sold a bunch of them and 'maybe' a rebuild kit(not big $) in a few years. Easy to take apart and clean..altho it doesn't get real 'dirty'. It's just a rubber bumper and spring.

Go see Mellow Johnney's..Moots dealer. see if they have a demo..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-18-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
1) Not much 'squishy' feeling with it engaged. PLUS you can get a stiffer spring.As above, in mixed road riding, I don't think you'll really 'notice' it. I sold a lot of Vamoots(road only) with YBB.
2) Allen wrench.Not hard but not 'on the handlebar' type lockout
3) 'Better'?? It's a great system, Moots has had it for decades. Not really like bigger softer tires..kinda takes the 'edge' off with bumps w/o any payback like a big squishy tire with low pressure would be
4) Not really..I sold a bunch of them and 'maybe' a rebuild kit(not big $) in a few years. Easy to take apart and clean..altho it doesn't get real 'dirty'. It's just a rubber bumper and spring.

Go see Mellow Johnney's..Moots dealer. see if they have a demo..
Thanks, that helps. I've been to MJ's, the only demo was a different model and the person on the floor didn't know much about it. I guess there is one guy who's the expert and I need to go there when he's available. So, looking to get some real world feedback here.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Thanks, that helps. I've been to MJ's, the only demo was a different model and the person on the floor didn't know much about it. I guess there is one guy who's the expert and I need to go there when he's available. So, looking to get some real world feedback here.
Shame...As an 'old fart', if I was going to get ANY new Moots, i'd get a YBB...My Opinion...Even if it were a rim brake road Vamoots....
Old 02-18-2020, 05:53 PM

As I said almost a year ago above, this is the bike I asked Moots to make for me a couple of years ago, but they wouldn’t. If I hadn’t sunk a considerable amount of money into an all-road bike in the meantime, this is the bike I would buy today. I happen to be a big fan of the YBB mechanism. Yes, you can get the YBB to bob, especially on pavement pedaling in squares. But on uneven surfaces it disappears.

To the questions posted above, I agree with OP, although I don’t think I would ever bother to lock the YBB out. It doesn’t provide that much movement.

I also think that it’s different from running tires at lower pressure. Suspension is suspension—instead of a full suspension mtb, why not run a hardtail at 10psi? Because it’s not the same thing.

The one thing to note is that the YBB adds a bit of weight vs. a non-YBB model. It looks as if the new YBB housing is more svelte than the older version, but iirc, for non-mtb models, the YBB rear fork is beefier than the non-YBB rear fork (e.g., on a non-YBB Psychlo-X).

Last edited by happycampyer; 02-18-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:27 PM

I'm having a Routt YBB frame built up in March. If you are interested my thoughts over the spring, DM me and we can discuss my impressions.

The frame is currently with my LBS and it looks wonderful hanging on the wall right now. The shock does seems trimmed down from the version on the CX frame.