Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
How do you end up with more clearance for 700 than 650? Curvy/aggressively dimpled chainstays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Probably a typo.
My fault. 700x45 max per the build sheet.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:00 PM

[QUOTE
So if I were starting from scratch today to spec an all-road bike, I would get either a ti or ti/carbon Firefly with the 3D printed yoke, skinny seatstays and 1" seatpost. [/QUOTE]

Are 1“ seatposts now a thing?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Quote:
So if I were starting from scratch today to spec an all-road bike, I would get either a ti or ti/carbon Firefly with the 3D printed yoke, skinny seatstays and 1" seatpost.
Yes, because they flex a tiny bit more than 27.2 and more than 31.6. Cannondale did it with some of their new bikes and designed a new carbon seatpost in 25.4 specifically so that it would flex a bit.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Need 2 gravel bikes

Instead of a gravel bike becoming the quiver killer, I have ended up needing multiple gravel bikes and multiple wheelsets. I have been running a S-Works Diverge with 2x11 eTap with either 700x35 slicks or 700x38 knobbies for most of my road and gravel riding for the last year and a half. It's been great.

I end up on a lot of singletrack and loose gravel where those tires weren't optimal. The BB on the Diverge is so low that I had lots of pedal strikes when I tried to use 650b wheels, which Specialized says will fit. So I picked up a second gravel bike that is more like a drop-bar MTB. Steel frame from Zukas, running 650x48 knobbies and using an AXS mullet drivetrain. It is slower on the road than the Diverge, but it really excels off-road.

Between those 2 bikes I can cover pretty much any course or conditions.

Dream bike though would be the same thing but with a frame from Firefly.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:33 PM

My dream Gravel would be a nice moots routt, Baum or firefly that i picked up for less than 4K.. Thats my dream bike
Old 02-17-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
My dream Gravel would be a nice moots routt, Baum or firefly that i picked up for less than 4K.. Thats my dream bike
Win the D2R2 raffle (as I did the year before last)—that has to be the most economical way to acquire a dream gravel bike...
Old 02-17-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Quote:
So if I were starting from scratch today to spec an all-road bike, I would get either a ti or ti/carbon Firefly with the 3D printed yoke, skinny seatstays and 1" seatpost.
Not sure if they are a "thing" or not. Personally, I would only trust a 1" seatpost made out of titanium. Other than Firefly, I'm not sure if anyone else (Moots, Eriksen, etc.) is making them, and I'm not sure that Firefly will make one that isn't spec'ed with a frame that is shimmed appropriately. I've had a YBB since 2006, and the chainstays are probably as strong as the day they were welded.

Last edited by happycampyer; 02-17-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:07 PM

Is this the D2R2 drawing bike built up? I have been wondering what you came up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Is this the D2R2 drawing bike built up? I have been wondering what you came up with!

It is! Since I already had an all-road bike (well, if you count the Hampstens, the Psychlo-X YBB disc and—at the time—the Slate, a few), I figured a disc road made more sense since I didn't have one of those. Frankly, even though it's a "road" bike, I could easily ride this at D2R2...
Old 02-17-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
It is! Since I already had an all-road bike (well, if you count the Hampstens, the Psychlo-X YBB disc and—at the time—the Slate, a few), I figured a disc road made more sense since I didn't have one of those. Frankly, even though it's a "road" bike, I could easily ride this at D2R2...

It looks amazing! Very nicely done!

Old 02-17-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Congrats - looks great.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:31 PM

What does that FF Ti/carbon weigh in at with the Lefty?
Awesome bike!

Quote:
My ti/carbon all-road Firefly was built after Firefly switched to the 3D-printed dropouts, but before they introduced the 3D-printed yoke, which permits wider tires with shorter chainstays and standard chainrings.

At about the same time the above bike was delivered, Jamie built an all-road bike with super skinny stays and a 1" seatpost. I ended up spec'ing those features on a disc road bike:

So if I were starting from scratch today to spec an all-road bike, I would get either a ti or ti/carbon Firefly with the 3D printed yoke, skinny seatstays and 1" seatpost. Baum has a similar 3D-printed yoke on their all-road bike—not sure if anyone else has anything similar.

Another alternative would be to get a Routt YBB disc and swap the Lefty onto it... And as others have noted above, the Hampsten Strada Bianca ti with mid-reach brakes is still a fantastic bike for dirt/gravel. Not sure that there is one dream bike, it's more like Baskin-Robbins...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
So if I were starting from scratch today to spec an all-road bike, I would get either a ti or ti/carbon Firefly with the 3D printed yoke, skinny seatstays and 1" seatpost..
Yeah I love my FF TiCarbon Allroad bit find myself longing for more tire. Debating sending it back and having them well in the new yoke and stays so I can run something bigger than 38.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
Yeah I love my FF TiCarbon Allroad bit find myself longing for more tire. Debating sending it back and having them well in the new yoke and stays so I can run something bigger than 38.
Quote:
ti-carbon FF is super nice, and their printed yoke is a no-compromise solution.

I'd like a Lauf fork with 3-pack mounts on a ti or ti-carbon frame fitting 27.5x2.2, some tattoo-like finish work, dynamo lighting, the latest greatest 1x electronic drivetrain and top-shelf wheels.

Instagram
Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 PM

I'm going to get a ti bike. With that being said, I came across this deal for anyone looking for a Open UP in a medium

Contender bikes will sell this for $7885
https://contenderbicycles.com/produc...-ltd-sram-axs/