Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Rice is a grain.
And there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

We might learn a thing or two from these countries:

(I couldn't find any info on the US, but Canada's around 10 kg / year, and we probably aren't too far off that.)

Last edited by Louis; 09-18-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
And there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
Also nothing wrong with soy. The reason this "diet" works is that people pay attention for 30 days. It really doesn't matter what you adopt for the short term, it will work.

BTW - there is increasing research that lectins in grains are inflammatory.
Some are familiar with Trevor Conner on the Velonews Podcast and he discusses it here and gives citations:

https://www.velonews.com/2018/02/pod...ormance_456058

I'm vegan as an ethical issue, not a diet but I have found that cutting down on grains and processed sugar is an excellent way for me to cut weight when the seasons change and I also feel better.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:29 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
i'm vegan as an ethical issue
+1
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
What the heck is wrong with grains, legumes, and soy?

The simplest diet is just to 1) eat less of everything, and 2) less of the bad stuff.

But if you want to eat more broccoli (which I happen to like) and rice cakes (meh), that's OK.
Yes, probably eating less of the bad stuff would be the best solution. But despite my desire to follow such a plan, I am still eating the bad stuff. Won't get into the reasons, but for me to follow whole 30, it is going to require some up front investment each week to prepare meals and snacks, so that I do not end up choosing easy (read: bad) stuff.

I'm not sure that the whole 30 plan is necessarily the definitive word. I think if you follow it in principle, of eating less refined stuff, you'd probably do as well.

There's a whole thing about letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you found some heirloom wheat variety, and milled it yourself, I'd bet it would turn into some pretty healthy flour compared to the mass produced stuff available at most stores.

I think a lot of people follow a plan better with clearly defined boundaries. Black and white, so to speak. If you're living a healthy lifestyle and those are part of it, probably no reason to look at whole 30.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Yes, probably eating less of the bad stuff would be the best solution. But despite my desire to follow such a plan, I am still eating the bad stuff. Won't get into the reasons, but for me to follow whole 30, it is going to require some up front investment each week to prepare meals and snacks, so that I do not end up choosing easy (read: bad) stuff.
I've found that it's easy to avoid the bad stuff at home - I just don't buy it.

At work it's a bit more complicated, but my solution is to stock the two areas where I work with healthy stuff for meals and/or snacks, and if I'm hungry I eat that. If I eat it and I'm still hungry, then tough.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
What the heck is wrong with grains, legumes, and soy?

The simplest diet is just to 1) eat less of everything, and 2) less of the bad stuff.

But if you want to eat more broccoli (which I happen to like) and rice cakes (meh), that's OK.
EB, EL, DL, RL
Eat Better
Eat Less
Drink Less(alcohol)
Ride Lots
Old 09-18-2018, 07:45 PM
aka RAEKWON

I am not a fan of W30. My wife did it, she was miserable for 30 days, lost a bunch of weight and then gained it all back. IMO of course. Good luck
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
EB, EL, DL, RL
Eat Better
Eat Less
Drink Less(alcohol)
Ride Lots
And the one I'd add, that I don't think gets mentioned anywhere near enough:

SPSW

Sleep Plenty, Sleep Well
Old 09-18-2018, 08:07 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am not a fan of W30. My wife did it, she was miserable for 30 days, lost a bunch of weight and then gained it all back. IMO of course. Good luck
Interesting. Yes, that is the problem with doing something that is intense and then going back to the old ways. I'm sure I'd have the same result if, at the end, I reintroduced ice cream and all the other crap that is a problem for me. I guess you go into it believing (perhaps wrongly) that after the 30 days are up, you're going to be a changed person and not revert back to the bad habits that you had before you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post

SPSW

Sleep Plenty, Sleep Well
LOL. Oh, then it's hopeless for me no matter what I do.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
I'm sure I'd have the same result if, at the end, I reintroduced ice cream and all the other crap that is a problem for me.
I think of these in terms of how long I would have to ride (or these days, row) to burn off the calories. Given how long that usually is, that's usually enough to discourage me.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Another thing, given how efficient cycling is in terms of calories burned per unit of time, unless you're riding a lot, and hard, it's easier to loose weight by cutting back on the input rather than increasing the output.

But of course, riding is more fun than going hungry or not eating or drinking all the good stuff. If my knees could take it, I would run, because that's a much better way to burn calories, but my body can't take the punishment.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post

SPSW

Sleep Plenty, Sleep Well
AMEN brother!! Naps in the afternoon are an essential part of me and my wife's regimen..particularly when nannying..
Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 AM

The point of the Whole30 is that it's not a diet, not a crash diet, not a lifestyle change, not any of that.

Yes, side effects include weight loss and other good things that come from generally cleaning up your diet.

But the reality is the whole30 is an EXPERIMENT.

After 30 days you add back the groups, one by one, with two days in between each, to see how the food you eat effects you.

When I was able to cut the sugar for 30 days, re-introducing it was eye-opening. The addiction to sugar I have is real -- if I have it, I want it, more of it, all of it.

Grains, I found, I don't really have an issue with but immediately felt the bloat when re-introducing them.

Do I have to do a whole30 again? No. I know what I need to stay away from, but I'm currently having a problem doing it, so a 30 day reset to try and get back to following what I should be following is a good thing for me.

Listen, I know people who have done one and their first meal back was Penne Vodka with Chicken Parm. No, I'm sorry, that's not how you do a Whole30. That's how you crash diet for 30 days and set yourself back on track to gain all the weight back.

Even Melissa Hartwig has said, hundreds of times, that you can't eat W30 every day of your life. It's not healthy to restrict yourself from everything. But the other point is to re-establish your relationship with food.

I urge y'all to read "It Starts With Food" if you're considering doing this. It lays out the plan, why you're cutting out each group (yeah, legumes are a grey area and as long as you're eating legumes that are more pod than bean you're cool). There are also "rules" to follow as far as making sure each meal is sitting down, and relaxed, and not a stressful thing. You're not supposed to weigh yourself. You're supposed to realize that the number on the scale isn't the end all and be all of happiness (but, we're cyclists, so we tend to obsess over that number as it pertains to performance). The Rules

There's so much more to it than just cutting out crap for 30 days.

Last edited by Nooch; 09-19-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I guess you go into it believing (perhaps wrongly) that after the 30 days are up, you're going to be a changed person and not revert back to the bad habits that you had before you started.
That's part of it. And some people realize after 30 days that they can eat this way, and go 45 or 60, because they don't feel strong enough to actually have broken those ties.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 PM

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/the-...ocessed-foods/