Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Suggestions on SSCX under $1k ( used is fine) for Chi Winters

Hello in Chicago and wondering the best bike to tough out the winters??

Have been looking at SSCX. basic parameters i want are aluminum frame, disc brakes ( mechanical is fine), single speed of course. want to at least fit a 32mm tire. I also want drop handles so i can train on this as if on my normal road bike. Just wondering suggestions.

I like the price point of state bikes around 1k with all the fixins but cannot stand the paint options. Sorry to say it but i care about aesthetic more than i should.

The Raleigh RXS was a contender as well but there arent many flating around in my size ( 54CM).

Just wondering if there are any complete bikes you would suggest? trying to avoid a custom build on this one.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 PM

Raleigh is the easy button... has to be one for sale to ship
Old 09-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Gravel Grinder

For those who commute through Chicago winters, what do you think the optimal tire width is, given the range of crap weather and roads you have to be prepared to ride through and in? Is 32mm too narrow?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 PM

This from right here in the classifieds
from AjosiahK

Up for sale .... Zanconato SSCX near complete or module of sorts

After an extremely enjoyable season and half plus of owning this rig, its time to move it on to someone who can race it the way its meant to be raced. And after a recent crash on my mtb Ill most likely not be joining the ranks of those glorious men and woman of the NE cx scene this coming fall. So having several rad dirt bikes and eminent repairs to my MTB call for a cull of the herd as they say.

Purchased Frame, Fork and HS new from Myette sometime around sept of 2015.

It has seen plenty of dirt and only a few (3 or 4) races. Strava has it at a laughable 37 miles. im sure Its seen several hundred. I stopped straving regularly a long time ago.

The bike rides so well, agile and responsive. Stiff in all the right places. Ive yet to weight it at its current state but can try to get that if you so desire.

Built up with the upmost joy with some cool and fun parts which Ill list below

Dedacciai 7005 cross tube set
Enve Tapered fork
Zipp beyond black set back post
Thomson collar
Arione saddle - happy to swap out or sans saddle.
3T 90mm stem and Zipp SL80 bars
Gutted Sram Red brake levers - comfortable as hell
Paul Mini moto brake set in black - were new
Sram XO DH carbon crankset 175mm with 32t ring, Sram GXP BB - also happy to keep this.
I built up a few sets of wheels for the bike, some tubular, some clincher.

A set of white industry racer hubs laced to tubular velocity rims, with used clement PDX.. with a problem solvers SS conversion kit included, and a wolftooth/king ss cog

Rims have ano wear and one replaced spoke but seem pretty round and true. Ill give them a second once over before sending them out. Bladed spokes, with one sad silver round spoke as a replacement. Couldnt find the pack of spares when the time came, whoops.

Geo below:
Seat tube C-C - 529 mm
Seat tube C-T - 567 mm
Top tube C-C Effective - 557 mm
Top tube slope - 2.5*
Head tube length - 135 mm
Seat tube angle - 73*
Head tube angle - 72*
BB drop - 70 mm
Chainstay length - 425 mm (the slot starts are 420 mm on the SS)

Standover - Above nose of saddle > 82cm, slope is slight (2.5) so it tops out at 83cm as you get closer to the HT TT junction

added > For references sake. I ride 56/57 ish sized frames. With a saddle height of 78cm and a typical reach of 80. The arione being a longer saddle, the reach on this bike is more like 83cm. Differential/ drop is approx 10cm

I think we can start with a very fair 1300 net for the bike sans wheels.
+ 250 for white industries tubular wheel set
+ 125 for rear major tom tubular wheel - shown in brighter photos.
- minus 200 for no cranks

Im always happy to part out to a degree, but I must reserve the right to keep this rad rig in one piece before I rip it apart.
That being said, part out kit starts as follows:
Frame / Fork / HS / thomson post & collar / 3t stem > 1k net all said and done

UPDATED PRICE > 1575 for EVERYTHING
Cross is HERE yall get your SSCX now
WI wheelset and 3rd rear wheel included !

Happy to ship, but would prefer a more local sale for obvious reasons.

If you are interested in any other options lets talk!
If I have forgotten something feel free to PM me or post with questions

Last edited by AJosiahK; 09-14-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
#2 Report Post
Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 PM

]
Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 PM

If you’re set on SSCX, I like that Raleigh. Make sure you can fit fenders with your desired tires unless you like wet feet and slush enemas.

I know a lot of people like single speed for winter, but I think it’s overrated. No other time of year has as variable of riding conditions. If you gear for the headwind through 3” of slush and refrozen ruts, you’ll frustratingly spin out on the warm days with clear pavement.

My ideal choice for a winter bike is alloy, disc brakes, IGH, fenders, at least the option for 35mm studded tires, and Bar Mitts. I HATE studded tires, but they do work when nothing else will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarwa View Post
For those who commute through Chicago winters, what do you think the optimal tire width is, given the range of crap weather and roads you have to be prepared to ride through and in? Is 32mm too narrow?

Not from Chicago, but familiar enough to know you’ll be riding on clear pavement “most” of the time (any tire will do). It’s the other 10% that gets tricky. You’ll deal with wet and slushy (I’d say 32 + fenders) and if you want to be prepared for “anything” (studs + fenders). The selection of studded tires is minimal under 35mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 AM

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/b...698169491.html

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...693062014.html
Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAYMAN View Post
Hello in Chicago and wondering the best bike to tough out the winters??

Have been looking at SSCX. basic parameters i want are aluminum frame, disc brakes ( mechanical is fine), single speed of course. want to at least fit a 32mm tire. I also want drop handles so i can train on this as if on my normal road bike. Just wondering suggestions.

I like the price point of state bikes around 1k with all the fixins but cannot stand the paint options. Sorry to say it but i care about aesthetic more than i should.

The Raleigh RXS was a contender as well but there arent many flating around in my size ( 54CM).

Just wondering if there are any complete bikes you would suggest? trying to avoid a custom build on this one.
Whatever you get put fenders on it. I say go 38-42mm tires for a straight up commuter. Look at steel too, it opens up the possibilities x 1000

Wash it twice a week and know that (maybe you do) Chicago winters can kill a bike in one season if you don't treat it nice. I gave up riding in the super messy stuff a couple years ago but have done it for over 25. It kills bikes. If you avoid the storms and super wet/salty days you are much better off in terms of cleaning and life of the bike. One super wet salty ride can murder your bike if not cleaned right away.

Belt drive is nice if you can find it in your budget.

Sorry, I don't have a list of bikes for you. If you go chain drive put a KMC Eco-ProTec chain on it.

Have fun (ish) :-)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 AM

I have a problem solvers ebb on my mountain bike that’s been slip and creek free for years. I think they make a version for most press for bottom bracket standards so that gives you a lot of frame options.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:52 AM

yes been looking at belt drive systems as you mentioned. better for the salt and all. Trying to work with the Trek Bicycle Superstore because they have a bike that would be perfect for my needs. Unfort they dont ship???? and they are in Cali & NM. anybody have an idea what to do at that point? I guess i could ask if they would coordinate with bike flights. Not sure why they wouldn't just accommodate shipping for a cost.

As for as the Raleigh mentioned many times before, I agree. the bike is the right fit. My only issue is that i cant find it with the Gates system. some have it and some dont. 2nd hand they are virtually the same cost with and without so it pains me to get it without.

Decisions Decisions.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
yes been looking at belt drive systems as you mentioned. better for the salt and all. Trying to work with the Trek Bicycle Superstore because they have a bike that would be perfect for my needs. Unfort they dont ship???? and they are in Cali & NM. anybody have an idea what to do at that point? I guess i could ask if they would coordinate with bike flights. Not sure why they wouldn't just accommodate shipping for a cost.

As for as the Raleigh mentioned many times before, I agree. the bike is the right fit. My only issue is that i cant find it with the Gates system. some have it and some dont. 2nd hand they are virtually the same cost with and without so it pains me to get it without.

Decisions Decisions.
It's part of the dealer agreement not to ship direct to consumer. That's not a Trek owned company store just a retailer selling Trek. Which bike are you after?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 AM

The Trek District SSB. 54CM. Could they ship to another dealer in Chicago do you think? Seems much more difficult to get someone to help me out on this
Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The Trek District SSB. 54CM. Could they ship to another dealer in Chicago do you think? Seems much more difficult to get someone to help me out on this
No, you have to buy it in store from them. Best bet is a used one some place if that's what you are after.

It's a bike that's no longer offered as you may have noticed. Where in the city are you? Plenty of options for SS bikes sold below $1000 I don't sell them but plenty of people do.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Have looked for it used. Nowhere to be seen ha.

I work in River north. live in south loop. can get to basically anywhere. was going to check out Working Bikes this weekend for local options. Up for any suggestions as well. Have been goign to Koxy's for a while but they have little by way of SS bikes that have discs, wider tires etc. so have been digging around ha.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 AM

I'd get something like this: https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/b...700595287.html.

Replace the tires with slicks (with studs on icy days), add fenders, and bar-mitts for very cold days, and you have the ideal winter commuter bike.