Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM

Planet Cyclery

Was going to look for some parts on their website. No matter what you click on in the menu it says they can't find anything with that description. Wierd. Their FB page is alive & well. Selling on Ebay/Amazon only these days? Had a good price on a Campy Centaur carbon crank on ebay, but I would need to also purchase cups & I think a deal kit. Thought the website would be easier to get everything at once, but not if it doesn't work.....
Old 09-17-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Was going to look for some parts on their website. No matter what you click on in the menu it says they can't find anything with that description. Wierd. Their FB page is alive & well. Selling on Ebay/Amazon only these days? Had a good price on a Campy Centaur carbon crank on ebay, but I would need to also purchase cups & I think a deal kit. Thought the website would be easier to get everything at once, but not if it doesn't work.....
That’s interesting. I recently ordered a Campy Italian-threaded bb cups for like $8 along with a few other things and it arrived at my house in a couple of weeks!

They have some good prices and the order was fairly fast, so I’m a satisfied customer. Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:32 PM

If you're looking to put some stuff together, email or call them, they ship fast and have good service.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:47 PM

I might call tomorrow. Website works now. Earlier on work computer & phone it didn't.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:00 AM

must be your work IT admin making sure you're doing work
Old 09-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
They are quite local to me and their distribution channels have always been vexing. A local shimano outside guy even dove their dumpster to find out who they got their stuff from...I suspect I know but really have no proof BUT there is no doubt 'some' US resellers/MO/web based places are trying hard to compete with the Wiggle/Ribble/Merlin/PROBIKEKIT places in Europe and the UK. Like the places in Europe, these resellers are 'owned' by distributors who receive their stuff from manufacturers, then sell to consumers(thru places like PlanetCyclery) AND bike shops. Same $, same margin regardless of who 'buys' the stuff.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Steel..what else??

Never had a problem with them.
I see lots of Campagnolo stuff in there.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:33 AM
v a n i l l a

Planet is fine but don’t buy Campagnolo from them and expect any warranty support from Campagnolo North America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Not saying is a bad shop, the guys have a bunch of good stuff but always check the listings really well because sometimes they have mistakes.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Planet is fine but don’t buy Campagnolo from them and expect any warranty support from Campagnolo North America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Second this. A local shop in San Jose even has it written down on the wall No support for planet bike or something to that effect.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM

does that shop mean https://www.planetbike.com or the site we are talking about. https://www.planetcyclery.com ?

I'm all for getting members the right feedback, but if people have had negative experiences from them regarding Campagnolo support or other issues, please share so that people can make informed decisions.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Second this. A local shop in San Jose even has it written down on the wall No support for planet bike or something to that effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
the site we are talking about. https://www.planetcyclery.com ?
I'm all for getting members the right feedback, but if people have had negative experiences from them regarding Campagnolo support or other issues, please share so that people can make informed decisions.
I was told directly over the phone by either Jerry or Dan (can't recall which) at Campagnolo North America they would not warranty anything purchased from Planet Cyclery.

The Campy parts I've bought from planet cyclery are typically no issue stuff - brakes, cassette body. one set came in box, the other in bag.
If it was wheels I might give some pause...

Last edited by pdmtong; 09-18-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Planet Cyclery

Quote:
The Campy parts I've bought from planet cyclery are typically no issue stuff - brakes, cassette body. one set came in box, the other in bag.
Over the years I have purchased quite a few Campy parts with zero issues.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:48 PM
v a n i l l a

Their prices can be pretty good. But some folks want the warranty aspect so just pointing that nuance out
Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Their prices can be pretty good. But some folks want the warranty aspect so just pointing that nuance out
Agree. Just bought some Campy Italian threaded B.B. cups from PC for $8/pair?! Seemed like a bargain and what could go wrong with B.B. cups?! It came in sealed Campy packaging, but no box. That tells me oem parts... I know, Good Luck!