Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 08:14 PM

Maui/Kihei

Going there next month. Never been. Any recommendations for places to ride (road or mountain) and where to rent a bike? Thanks!

Ryan
Old 09-16-2018, 08:19 PM

I forget the name of the shop i rented from and i have no idea where we rode that day. But that was some of the most fun ive had on a road bike. Riding along the coast on the roads going so fast on these rolling roads. Taking hairpin turns so fast but couldnt care less. Also the headwind was insane. Was going down a decline and I had to pedal in order to go forward... HAVE FUN!
Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 PM

following....

I'm going to Maui next month as well.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 PM

Maui

There is a Trek dealer right in Kihei, alternately there are good shops that do rentals in Lahaina (West Maui Cyclery), or P'aia (Maui Cyclery).

Mtb is random- rain will really affect the trails and even possibility of riding.

Road is good- Best ride on Island is "West Maui Loop".
Or climbing Haleakala. But you can climb part way or even back way if you don't want to do 10k feet of elevation. I actually prefer the back way.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:42 PM

A friend of mine rented from West Maui Cycles. He was pretty happy all around.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:09 PM
shimergo

Repeating what others have recommended.

West Maui Cycles or Maui Cyclery for rentals. You can book the specific model of bike/groupset you want from each site. Climb Haleakala.

Last edited by scoobydrew; 09-16-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 AM

My worse retail experience ever at west Maui bike, but that was 6 years ago.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:39 PM

I've rented from both West Maui Cycles and Boss Frogs. West Maui is just a little bit more expensive, but you can reserve the kind of bike you want (i.e., tarmac vs roubiax). From boss frog, I thought I was getting a supersix but ended up with a Synapse, which I guess is fine, but not my preference. Its cheap tho. Both bikes were in fine shape.

The problem with West Maui is that its in Lahina, which is a PITA to get to from Kehei, but if you're headed up there anyways, I'd probably go that route. Boss Frog has a shop in Kehei if you want the convenience.

There's also Maui Cyclery in Paia. They have really nice bikes, but are also quite expensive (and when I went in to inquire they were jackasses - classic too-cool-for-you bike shop dudes - so that put me off them permanently).

Next time I go, I'm going to try Krank Cycles. They are up the mountain a bit (Makawao), but look like they have nice bikes for decent price. They are also the big mountain bike shop on the island, so if that's your bag, they probably have the best info.

As far as road rides, the west maui loop is the best I've done, just lovely. Best in the early morning though to miss the traffic.

If you start early enough you can ride out to Hana without too much traffic. That's a great ride, but traffic either out or back severely complicates it.

I was going to ride the mountain last time I went but the weather didn't cooperate, but its definitely on the list.

I think out of Kihei you could go south and find some good riding perhaps, but I'm not sure, haven't ever stayed on that part of the island.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:45 PM

I went a few years ago and rented from Boss Frog. It was fine and the rental Cannondale was in great shape.

West Maui Loop was my route and it was lovely. I saw humpback whales from the side of the road - that was a first! Lots of car traffic, so you have to ride aware, but it is not at all unmanageable.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM

My wife and I rented a Cannondale tandem from West Maui Cycles on the recommendation of 54ny77. The bike was in good shape and the price was reasonable. We rode every morning at dawn to avoid vehicular traffic and to have our days free for family activities. The west Maui loop was wonderful. One morning as we rode northeast from Kapalua, we did not see another person for nearly an hour! Solitude in paradise!

Greg
Old 09-17-2018, 01:51 PM

I'm going in November. Where are you staying? We always stay at the Kea Lani in Wailea. Riding is good on Maui, but if you are there for just a short time, don't do that over doing a great snorkeling trip or surfing in Kihei or some of the other stuff on Maui.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

I rented from Maui Cyclery in Paia about 8 years ago. The location is basically at the base of the Haleakala so it's very convenient. I rented a good bike with 105 components, compact crank and a 12-27. The shop was very helpful. Maybe I just hit them on a good day but I had a positive experience.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 PM

I was in Maui in May 2017 for my cousin's wedding--what an amazing place. I didn't do any cycling, but saw some guy riding a Seven on the Road to Hana.

Do yourself a favor and grab some poke at Tamura's and Eskimo Candy.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 AM

Donnie @ Maui Cyclery was very helpful when I rented from his shop. Came in after hours so I could return the rental bike. Read about the Haleakala climb and if it remotely interests you, do it.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:31 AM

Cool!

Sorry OP, but I had a great Maui bike map that I mailed to forum members over the years on this very question. It got used several times. I just discarded it a couple months ago in the great purge (aka moving)!

Maui is beautiful riding indeed. One of these days I'd like to ride up the big mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
My wife and I rented a Cannondale tandem from West Maui Cycles on the recommendation of 54ny77. The bike was in good shape and the price was reasonable. We rode every morning at dawn to avoid vehicular traffic and to have our days free for family activities. The west Maui loop was wonderful. One morning as we rode northeast from Kapalua, we did not see another person for nearly an hour! Solitude in paradise!

Greg