Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 08:22 AM

650B wheels for gravel - options!

Will be picking up a Norco Search XR steel frameset at the end of the week. Plan on building it up using 650B wheels. Only problem, I know very little about the options out there.

What are my choices? Prefer center lock but not a deal breaker.

What inner width should I look for?

If I build some up with DT Swiss 350 hubs, what are my choices for rims?
Old 09-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Will be picking up a Norco Search XR steel frameset at the end of the week. Plan on building it up using 650B wheels. Only problem, I know very little about the options out there.

Quite a few DTSwiss rims for 650b(27.5)
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...ountry/xr-361/

Altho availability might be spotty.

This one too. Really nice rim

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/aileron-650b
Old 09-16-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Quite a few DTSwiss rims for 650b(27.5)
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...ountry/xr-361/

Altho availability might be spotty.

This one too. Really nice rim

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/aileron-650b
Your thoughts on the DT Swiss XR 331?

I found the 361 on the DT Swiss site, but seems to be limited availability.

For reference, I weigh 155 lbs kitted up and ready to ride. I don’t see running anything wider than a 47c, on the 650B’s, probably a 35-38c from Panaracer or Compass.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

For reference, I weigh 155 lbs kitted up and ready to ride. I don’t see running anything wider than a 47c, on the 650B’s, probably a 35-38c from Panaracer or Compass.
Never seen or built one in the wild but like the R411, light rim. I can get you either..DT350 hubs as well or buy some and send them to me. XR331 and XR 361 both about $90...I like the 361 more better, PLUS rear OC..as it's a bit heavier(50 grams or so) and for smashing around n the dirt, not a bad thing.

Maybe 331 front and 361 rear? Altho they come with alloy Squorx, I'd build at least the front with brass.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:

If you want ready built wheels there are somewhat a decent amount of options for centerlock 650b/27.5. Dt Swiss, industry nine, Boyd, Reynolds, enve, shimano all sell wheelsets that have cl hubs. I know I'm missing a bunch of other manufacturers as cl is starting to become more widespread even on the mountain side.

For rims, there are only about 10 million options since 650b is the same thing as 27.5.

Inner width? Totally dependent on what size and design tires you plan on running, but in general you want to keep the tire at between 1.5-2x the inner width. So if you get a 20-22.5 id rim like suggested above, you're best served with a 30-45mm tire which is generally good enough for gravel riding.

Tons of options out there, really dependent on what riding you'll be doing. Determine the riding, which determine the tire, which determines the rim.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:01 PM

I think the WTB options are excellent. They don’t get talked about enough. I love the i23 Frequency rims. Offset drilling, quite light, 23mm internal width I believe. A bullet proof mid-range build - i23 with DT350 hubs, 32H

The carbon Search XR Force 1x (I have this bike) actually comes with that wheel build stock...I really like the way they feel. EASY tubeless set up.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 PM

I was wondering this myself - perhaps some DT prebuilts with out-of-fashion narrow MTB rims around 23mm ID - they must be giving these away?!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 PM

one other thing I’ll add. The i23 wheels specd on the Force 1 XR model come shod with 2.1” mtb tires. That rim (somewhat narrow compared to current fashions) can take a high volume mtb tire...absolutely no problem. On a gravel bike I personally prefer a rim not too wide to give more flexibility with narrow and super wide tires. I ride older gen Enve XC90s and I find that rim width PERFECT for my needs. Before that I had ENVE M60s and while I liked the wheels, the width was too wide for some tire options I wanted flexibility to run and they were crazy hard to remove and mount tires. Maybe that has more to do with the hookless bead.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Gravel Grinder

I just bought some for my Marin Gestalt. Got a set of American Classic Terrains, which have a 22mm inner width. I mounted WTB Byway tires (tubeless) and they mounted great and seem to be a good match to that inner width. I’m happy, anyway!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarwa View Post
I just bought some for my Marin Gestalt. Got a set of American Classic Terrains, which have a 22mm inner width. I mounted WTB Byway tires (tubeless) and they mounted great and seem to be a good match to that inner width. I’m happy, anyway!
I've got a set of nox skyline coming in and plan on reporting how wtb byways work on their 23mm id.

But to earlier points, it's totally not an exact science when it comes to id vs tire size. You can only go by what's been tried and tested as to whether certain rim will work well with certain tires. Case in point, I use Schwalbe pro one 28 on a set of Reynolds ATR 700s which are 23 id, which by common knowledge should be too wide a rim. But the ride at 65-70psi is sublime, and the tire to rim interface is fantastic.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

Only have 300 miles on them but the Reynolds ATR II seems like a great wheel.

If I did not have this wheel I would have got a custom wheel, something laced to an easton arc, heart they are great (have 2 new arcs for sale if anyone is interested in building a custom 650b wheelset)
Old 09-16-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:

My 28spoke 331 650b wheelset currently has a 2.1 on it and does the job fine. 135 lbs.

Last edited by owly; 09-16-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: txt
Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Easton/Raceface Arc 24
Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 PM

I also wonder why people say its much more fun with 650b's.....
Old 09-16-2018, 07:38 PM

I'm pretty sure I can run a 650 with a 47mm tire on the Coconino. The idea is a bigger tire that will still clear the frame. For now, I've got a 1.9" MTB tire on the front because the fork has ridiculous clearance. I've got a 38 on the back. It works for me.