Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminVA View Post
I'm a cyclist > runner > injured runner > cyclist/occasional runner
Same progression for me.

Running was always the easiest and most efficient way to drop weight and get "back in shape", but I kind of left it behind for good in late 2016. I've done trail marathons and ultra-marathons, and used to love nothing more than a hard 3-4hr run in woods. I could never get above 70mpw without getting injured though and always struggled with taking in enough food or being able to "run" without being too high in the HR zones to sustain the output. I think being tall, with larger bones and lower legs, and huge feet means I will never be a good or efficient runner (I'm the opposite of what Matt Fitzgerald outlines as the body type for being a good distance runner). Anyway, I've left running behind for good I think. I would like to be able to do trail half-marathons, but just don't have the time to build my body back up for that - or really, don't want to dedicate the time away from cycling.

Incidentally, I'm on vacation right now and don't have a bike (10yr anniversary, I'm being good), so I tried to go for a 3mi run yesterday - it felt fine while doing, but walking down stairs today is a bit painful.

I do think there is something good about having some weight bearing exercise in my life though for the bones benefit - so maybe I'll try to do 5-10mi a week at the gym in combo with weights. Maybe.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:09 PM

You left out Bekele -- my favorite!
A joy to watch him run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Those who are really good at running with truly beautiful form - Rudisha, Gebresellasie, Kipchoge are actually experiencing a lot less impact than you or I. Their foot strike is such that they are being constantly pushed forward instead of the slight braking impact that normal people feel with each step.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Same progression for me.

Running was always the easiest and most efficient way to drop weight and get "back in shape", but I kind of left it behind for good in late 2016. I've done trail marathons and ultra-marathons, and used to love nothing more than a hard 3-4hr run in woods. I could never get above 70mpw without getting injured though and always struggled with taking in enough food or being able to "run" without being too high in the HR zones to sustain the output. I think being tall, with larger bones and lower legs, and huge feet means I will never be a good or efficient runner (I'm the opposite of what Matt Fitzgerald outlines as the body type for being a good distance runner). Anyway, I've left running behind for good I think. I would like to be able to do trail half-marathons, but just don't have the time to build my body back up for that - or really, don't want to dedicate the time away from cycling.
Same here. 60mpw was the magic number for me where either overtraining or injury cropped up. Several marathons and a couple ultras along the way, but my hips started revolting in 2015. Proud to say I never did a road marathon, everything was trails at that distance or beyond. Spent last fall and winter attempting to build back up for a 50 miler this summer, but the hip injury hit again. No runs over 10 miles since March.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
You left out Bekele -- my favorite!
A joy to watch him run.
Good addition. He might be the smoothest.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Being in Tucson I've gotten to watch Bernard Lagat run in person on a number of occasions. He is so smooth, graceful and powerful that it's just a joy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTMU1QRLQI
Old 09-17-2018, 02:28 PM

Lag is great, and a really nice guy to boot. Ran into him on the Starr Pass trails once- my friend and I actually caught up to him. I asked him why he was running so slow and he said “when your going easy, go easy.”
Old 09-17-2018, 02:47 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Lag is great, and a really nice guy to boot. Ran into him on the Starr Pass trails once- my friend and I actually caught up to him. I asked him why he was running so slow and he said “when your going easy, go easy.”
Had the same experience years ago here. It was Thanksgiving weekend and I was out riding, trying to burn off some stuffing and pumpkin pie. I rode up on a guy. Looked over. It was Tyler Hamilton back when he lived up on the north shore. I also asked him why was he riding as slowly as us turkey-stuffed mortals. Same answer...easy means easy.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:47 PM

I (help) coach high school cross-country, and will often tell my runners that "the number one mistake of most high school and college runners is going too hard on easy days, and not hard enough on hard days. The easy days need to be easy in order to go hard on the hard days."
Old 09-17-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I (help) coach high school cross-country, and will often tell my runners that "the number one mistake of most high school and college runners is going too hard on easy days, and not hard enough on hard days. The easy days need to be easy in order to go hard on the hard days."
That's the hardest part of running for most of us - easy IS hard... Like, Z2 means walking for me. And y'all have seen me. I'm 6'4" 180lbs out of competition. I just suck at running. Even when I was doing 50-60mpw, I was barely under 8:30mi without being well over threshold.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I am not kidding - it is hard for me to run easy (not that I am fast or anything), but my stride and cadence seem out of whack and after awhile I end up back to my normal pace..
Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Totally agree.
Paceline has about 300 active users? Highly unlikely that anyone here can run a 4:38 mile.
translates to ~70sec per 400M...that's 2:20 800m pace...that's f*cking quick.

i have a hard time believing that many middle-age fatties on paceline like myself can run a half mile that quick, hell even 400M at that pace would be tough. i cant.