Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Should I buy a Trek (ethical reasons)

So here's the deal. My current race bike is about 5 years, and its components are falling apart. Left shifter is near the end of its service life, front derailleur doesn't really work that well (the braze-on is flexy), and the pinch bolt on the front brake broke from erosion. All could be fixed, but it feels more like that any more I spent on it is less I can spend on a Di2 bike. It still has a bit of life left, but I'm beginning to think that I should get a new bike and go Di2.

I've never liked Trek since I begin to bike seriously. Their sleight of hand on Lemond was rather underhanded, and I don't like how obsequious it was to LA. Personally, I thought i'd never buy a Trek, but never say never right?

The thing is, there's just not a lot of company making decent aero road bikes these days, and most of them either don't test well or are disc-only, not to mention that many are prohibitively expensive. The Aeroad would be an option, but they aren't bringing in the rim brake option anytime soon (not to mention that the bike is less aero than it looks), and the Foil is also not as aero as one'd like. This pretty much leaves just the Madone. $4000 for a full bike (and $5000 by the time I get all the parts I want).

But there's that thought lingering that I shouldn't bring my business to people who aided and abetted. THoughts?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Lots of other aero bikes out there.

Depends on which you care more about I guess, a company that aided and abetted a psychopath, or rim brakes.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:34 PM

Is the Madone actually a good fit for you?

I don't really worry too much about Bike company ethics I guess, I think they all probably supported some pro/DS that did some unethical things at one point or another.

I have a Domane, and I wouldn't trade it for a Madone. I'd much rather have an Emonda if I had to switch.

If I had to get an aero bike it just wouldn't be the madone with it's goofy head tube/stem/aerobar setup. Just seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Lots of other aero bikes out there.

Depends on which you care more about I guess, helping out your LBS, or not.
fixt

The are indeed lots of other bikes out there, but to put a counterpoint on things, Trek is one of very few supporting equal pay for women in racing

Me? I think they're fantastic bikes. Especially the ones with the Isospeed doo-jobbie. If I wasn't all in on FN Bicycles stuff, I'd buy another 2-3

M
Old 09-14-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
fixt

Lots of bike companies out there that sell through your LBS that aren't Trek.
fixt yo fixt
Old 09-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Steel..what else??

Hate it when people change the quote.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:47 PM

Yes, there are lost of aero bikes out there, if you don't care to buy a trek.

From your post, it appears that you are looking for a rim brake aero bike that has done well in testing (I assume that you are looking at independent testing, not in-house testing). Might I point out that in anticipation of the a new disc brake version replacement, the current rim brake Cervelo S5 can now be found on discount. This bike has consistently tested well against its aerobike competitors, and does this without needing proprietary components (can use standard brakes, handlebars, stems, etc.), plus it is compatible with mechanical, electrical and hydraulic shifting systems.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
Love it when people change the quote.
fixt again

M
Old 09-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
fixt yo fixt
I'd go Giant, then Cervelo (they don't fit me as well as the Giant, but YMMV), then ??

I don't pay too much attention to aero bikes. Yeah, they help, but you still need to pedal the #$% bike fast to go fast. Speed ain't free!

M

edited to add: my 2nd FN has a Cervelo-esque shape to it and you can feel a slight difference at the top end. Otherwise, feels like a bike
Old 09-14-2018, 12:55 PM

I have 3 Madones- a 5.2 Pro, a 6.9, and a 6.9 SSL (Nate Brown's old bike).

The 6.9s are my race bikes, and the 5.2 Pro was my everyday ride until I started feeling guilty for abusing the hell out of it. Titanium bikes serve that purpose these days, to the point that I haven't ridden a plastic bike in months. The last couple crits I lined up for were on ti.

When it comes to Treks, the more internal routing or other fancy aero stuff they have, the less I like them. Makes them a pain to work on, and I can shave a lot more drag off of my barn-door gut than I can by having a trap door for the front brake.

For me, 99% of it comes down to fit. Trek's last generation of integrated stem/bars that came with upper-level Madones was too deep for my flexibility, core strength, and body type. I'm faster on a bike that actually fits, and the components required for those bikes just didn't work for me.

For most of us, aero just means a larger chunk of our disposable income.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:59 PM

I have a friend in Wisconsin who lives near Trek HQ. He was asking me about my Emonda because he wants a road bike. I was telling him that I used to feel kind of "bleh"about Trek. I just didn't find them cool or exciting. Then I ended up renting one while riding in Europe and I loved it. I searched out a deal on a used one just like the one I rented after I got home.

Here was his reply:
"I used to think the same about Trek, but they’ve released some sweet bikes in the last couple of years. The head coach of my oldest kid’s mountain bike team is a VP at Trek and is super cool as are a few of the other coaches that are from Trek, all weirdos like us. I really dig what trek is doing with their Trek Women social media features. Super progressive company. That’s what made me take another look at what they have for bikes. It’s crazy at the team practices, I’m the only non Trek bike owner. There are like 60 kids on the team and all but 4 have Treks."

I think any large corporation will have a few "business first, people second" moments in their history. I've heard some gross stories about Specialized, Canyon, Cannondale, etc. If we "dig for good", we can probably find just as many results.

Ride what is both comfortable for your body and comfortable for your conscience.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 PM
aka RAEKWON

there are so many good options.

caynon is another one....

Personally though, I do like what trek has been doing when it comes to bikes.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:30 PM

I stopped reading when I got to the part about not being happy with their dealings with LeMond.
Don't buy from a company you don't like. It'll always be in your head. Too many good options to give your money to a company you don't think is ethical.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Older Than You

Buy the Trek. All brands have some kind of negative news at one time or another.

There are a lot of Madones out there. There may be a good reason...
Old 09-14-2018, 02:05 PM

I had vowed never to buy a Trek until they apologize to Greg. But then last winter the local dealer had a 2016 720 for 40% off . . .