Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I keep a spray bottle with soapy water around, which does the job. It's not a 50/50 mix (that would be too much). Just a bit of dish soap with water.
I actually carry a squirt bottle of the stuff (more like 10:90 soap:water) along with spare tires. Makes tire mounting so much easier
Old 05-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Every time I think about tubeless, I read threads like this, and the urge goes away.

Tim
Old 05-08-2018, 04:05 PM

I've got a Schwalbe air blaster, I pump it up to 130# and so far have been able to seat any tire. Seat it, let it sit for a while, deflate, remove the valve core, inject the sealant, work your way back out. Spin the wheels or if possible, just ride around for a while.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll report back after I have a chance to add sealant and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I've got a Schwalbe air blaster, I pump it up to 130# and so far have been able to seat any tire. Seat it, let it sit for a while, deflate, remove the valve core, inject the sealant, work your way back out. Spin the wheels or if possible, just ride around for a while.
+1 on the Schwalbe Tire Booster
Old 09-14-2018, 05:45 PM
ZhugeLiang

Success!

Just want to come back and update this thread.

First and foremost, I would like to offer an apology to tubeless pal.

I have to confess my initial impression of tubeless was not very positive due to a couple of minor setbacks. Looking back, alot of it had to do with operator's error. There's a learning curve to this thing, not a huge one but definitely requires a bit of reading up and experimenting on my own. That's why it helps to have someone show me how and I was lucky enough to have the best of the best teach me the rope but I was admittedly a slow learner and gave up far too easily.
So, I decided to give tubeless another chance this week and boy this time around everything went so smoothly. I mean, basically I got everything from taping the rim to mounting the tire to seating the tire to removing valve stem to injecting sealant to re-installing valve stem to inflating the tire all done in 15 minutes or less. I know what some of you might say, because I was thinking of the same thing myself before - 15 minutes?! I can just put in a tube and inflate all in 30 seconds! Maybe not 30s, a couple of minutes.

Well... I am not gonna try and convince anyone to switch over to tubeless. that's a personal choice. But I can tell you now, I am happy to be offered both options. I still have a whole bunch of wheelset that are not tubeless ready, I am not gonna throw them out overnight. I am gonna continue to use them. I have been happy with them in the past so it's not a problem to begin with.

Equipment:
Pacenti SL23 wheelsets
Schwalbe Pro One 25mm tubeless ready tires

The cheapo $40 pancake compressor from Harbor freight was able to seat the tire just fine. I am not sure if it's up to the task for the bigger volume tubeless tires like wtb horizon 650bx47mm but we shall see.

Anyway...i know I am behind the curve and that's fine.

Last edited by weisan; 09-14-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:33 AM
ZhugeLiang

Just successfully installed another tubeless on a HED Belgium rim. The tire is Panaracer Gravel King 28 slick.

Getting better at it, this time the whole process took 5 minutes.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:01 AM

I'll chime in again as I have in the past on a couple of points. One, as said before, if this is a new tire, put a tube in and inflate for one or two days. It just makes everything easier.

Two, clip off any molding gas nibs or flashing that happens to remain on the tire bead (Schwalbe is bad about that). You want the rubber bead as smooth as possible where it contacts the rim.

Tubeless is really pretty easy once you go thru the learning process and so much better in many ways.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:47 AM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks for chiming in simple pal, I am still waiting for your return to Austin so we can go gravel riding.

Well...a bit of a setback. Got up this morning to two of the three tubeless wheels deflated, one completely and the other probably about 60%. Now I have to investigate where the leak is. Any possible explanations?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Thanks for chiming in simple pal, I am still waiting for your return to Austin so we can go gravel riding.

Well...a bit of a setback. Got up this morning to two of the three tubeless wheels deflated, one completely and the other probably about 60%. Now I have to investigate where the leak is. Any possible explanations?
Missing a tube?....

Too bad -pal-blocks me, a little humor in these pretty un humorous times..
Old 09-19-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Did you shake the tire/wheel to circulate the sealant after installation? After putting on a tubeless and shaking it, I sit the wheel flat on a bucket so the sealant has time to coat the sidewalls. Also flip it to coat the other side. The bead and sidewall are usually the paths of least resistance for the air to leak.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
Did you shake the tire/wheel to circulate the sealant after installation? After putting on a tubeless and shaking it, I sit the wheel flat on a bucket so the sealant has time to coat the sidewalls. Also flip it to coat the other side. The bead and sidewall are usually the paths of least resistance for the air to leak.
What I did was put it on the trueing stand and spin it for a while. Is that the same thing or no?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM

Inflate and go ride them for a while. If it happens again, add a little more sealant. I have a set of Boyd Altamonts with Maxxis ReFuse 32's. Identical rims and in theory, identical tires. Same tape, stems, and amount of sealant in each. One sealed up and stayed that way, only added air once a week, and the other required more sealant before it would finally stay inflated overnight.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:

All I can say is 1)did you do the bead sanitizing routine, ie clipping off any perturbation on the bead surfaces? 2) check that there is no leakage at the valve connection to the rim. Sometimes they don't fit the hole and channel very well. You may have to trim the rubber a bit to insure good contact.

You could always try immersing in water to see if you can locate the bugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Inflate and go ride them for a while.
I think this is the best way to get subtle leaks to seal IF it's the leak is at the bead/rim interface!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
What I did was put it on the trueing stand and spin it for a while. Is that the same thing or no?

Spinning on a truing stand would tend to keep the sealant in one spot until it came to rest. Going on a ride is good if it’s erratic like an mtb ride but not steady like a TT. The sealant needs to be distributed all around the inside of the tire and rim interface. No tubes has helpful videos on their site re: shaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk