Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
It's interesting to note that in some of the older Brooks catalogs, such as the 1907 catalog found here the B.17 on p. 15 is described as a "road racing saddle" while the text on the facing page goes on at some length urging ordinary road riders to consider using a larger sprung saddle instead of a road racing saddle for general riding.

I guess riding positions have changed a lot since 1907!
And how!
Old 09-17-2018, 03:31 PM

The nose will be pointing up more than you think it should to be comfortable. It will look weird but you can ride it all day. Keep it dry. My Pro got soaked a couple times and I have used the adjusting/stretcher tool.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
It's interesting to note that in some of the older Brooks catalogs, such as the 1907 catalog found here the B.17 on p. 15 is described as a "road racing saddle" while the text on the facing page goes on at some length urging ordinary road riders to consider using a larger sprung saddle instead of a road racing saddle for general riding.

I guess riding positions have changed a lot since 1907!
The text on the side accurately distinguishes weight distribution tending toward the pedals while racing versus the saddle while tooling along. Pretty interesting read.

'Path Racing' was what we today call gravel racing, but the Path saddle is listed as favored ("favoured" lol) by track racers.

And a heavyweight rider was considered 15 stone (a mere 210lbs)! Not in America today, where the prevalence of obesity was 39.8% and affected about 93.3 million of US adults in 2015-2016.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 PM

Page 26 reads:

"The saddle should be placed -
  1. Just sufficiently behind the crank axle to allow the rider to sit upon the broad part of the saddle, whilst riding, without being pulled forward on to the peak with the downward thrust of the leg.
  2. Just low enough to allow the rider to reach the peddles comfortably all around, without even a suspicion of stretching after them.
  3. With the peak raised just enough to prevent the rider from slipping forward.
There is a point at which a Brooks Saddle will fulfil all these conditions; but as it varies with each individual rider, each much find it for himself."

This text reads almost sutra-like.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Page 26 reads:

"The saddle should be placed -
  1. Just sufficiently behind the crank axle to allow the rider to sit upon the broad part of the saddle, whilst riding, without being pulled forward on to the peak with the downward thrust of the leg.
  2. Just low enough to allow the rider to reach the peddles comfortably all around, without even a suspicion of stretching after them.
  3. With the peak raised just enough to prevent the rider from slipping forward.
There is a point at which a Brooks Saddle will fulfil all these conditions; but as it varies with each individual rider, each much find it for himself."

This text reads almost sutra-like.
I couldn't have said it better myself.