Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM

I haven't read this thread at all, but I was listening to the local news this AM and heard that my own city lost out on the bid for the HQ (I knew that they had bid on this). It was 99% unlikely to happen, but they had put forth a business case that they believed would work, so kudos to them for thinking big.

Personally I am super happy, as Victoria (sp Langford) is a small town and something like this would've utterly transformed the city for the worse. I am also looking to buy a house for the first time and having 1000's of new people move here would've driven the real estate costs further through the roof from where it is now .

Thanks for shutting us down, Amazon !!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:21 PM

hope they don't choose Philadelphia... I like it here.

NoVA is the largest data center / cloud location in the world, Dallas is 2nd for US business currently. If the play is for AWS, then these would bubble up I'm guessing.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Dallas's heyday is passed. Everyones moving to Plano.

edit: why do you say Dallas is the perfect spot tex?
To clarify, when I say "Dallas", I really mean the entire metroplex. As for Dallas's heyday passing, that could be somewhat debatable, but let's save that for another day/conversation.

My reason for thinking that the Dallas Metroplex would be the perfect candidate is for multiple reasons (not listed in any particular order) - large concentration of datacenters and IT infrastructure, transportation infrastructure, electrical grid infrastructure, cost of living/cost of housing, cost of utilities, geographic location in the middle of the country, moderated climate (hah!), increasing investment in public transportation, proximity to a major international airport, sheer number of educational institutions located in the area, diverse/stable economy, and a HUGE educated, and yet affordable workforce. This isn't taking any local or state economic and tax incentives into consideration - just the merits of the area itself from a large employer perspective.

The area has been blowing up the last few years (as have most major Cities in Texas) for many of these same reasons.

Texbike
Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/t...ers-split.html

Quote:
The company is nearing a deal to move to the Long Island City neighborhood of Queens, according to two of the people briefed on the discussions. Amazon is also close to a deal to move to the Crystal City area of Arlington, Va., a Washington suburb, one of the people said. Amazon already has more employees in those two areas than anywhere else outside of Seattle, its home base, and the Bay Area.

Amazon executives met two weeks ago with Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo in the governor’s Manhattan office, said one of the people briefed on the process, adding that the state had offered potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies. Long Island City is a short subway ride across the East River from Midtown Manhattan.

“I am doing everything I can,” Governor Cuomo told reporters when asked Monday about the state’s efforts to lure the company. “We have a great incentive package,” he said.

“I’ll change my name to Amazon Cuomo if that’s what it takes,” Governor Cuomo said. “Because it would be a great economic boost.”
Hooray! Hundreds of millions of dollars in incentives have brought Amazon HQ to NYC!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/t...ers-split.html

Hooray! Hundreds of millions of dollars in incentives have brought Amazon HQ to NYC!
There goes the neighborhood. Hope they have budgeted more than $15/hr for the new warehouse employees.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Dallas's heyday is passed. Everyones moving to Plano.

edit: why do you say Dallas is the perfect spot tex?
Highland Park Real Estate would prove otherwise.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Everything is connected

Looks like they're going to spilt HQ2 between Queens (NYC) and NoVA (Crystal City). Hard to fight city hall when they're (Cuomo) throwing a couple of hundred million in incentives at you and in the case of NoVA, they just need to deal with one landowner in order to get things moving.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...ge-land-new-hq

https://patch.com/virginia/arlington...iscussions-hq2
Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Boston is at close to 100% capacity already

They should go to someplace that could "really use" the jobs.
A big Amen to that. I live roughly 35 miles north of Boston and honestly it's a place to avoid driving into I95 and I93 get constantly backed up and parking is limited. In fact nobody enjoys driving to Boston from where I live. Absolutely they should go somewhere that can use the jobs.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/t...-hq2-know.html

"Much of the process has been secret, and Amazon had local officials and real estate developers sign nondisclosure agreements during negotiations."

Our great plutocracy at work...
Old 11-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
hope they don't choose Philadelphia... I like it here.

NoVA is the largest data center / cloud location in the world, Dallas is 2nd for US business currently. If the play is for AWS, then these would bubble up I'm guessing.
agreed

I like it here in Philly and can afford to live in even some of the fancier towns. Not sure i could do the same if Amazon were to move in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Looks like they're going to spilt HQ2 between Queens (NYC) and NoVA (Crystal City). Hard to fight city hall when they're (Cuomo) throwing a couple of hundred million in incentives at you and in the case of NoVA, they just need to deal with one landowner in order to get things moving.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...ge-land-new-hq

https://patch.com/virginia/arlington...iscussions-hq2
the Crystal City decision is baffling and a nightmare. At least it could be argued that there's land to be reclaimed in Queens (e.g. Flushing Meadows or along one of the canals) for new sites.

Crystal City is literally less than 0.5 square miles. Its dimensions is (generously) 1 mile long by 0.4 mile wide. Traffic in that area is already an unmitigated nightmare, and now they want to add more to that area? I don't even know if they could fit 5000 people into Crystal City without some significant renovations...

The only people benefiting are the existing land owners in the area. I once rented a studio for ~1300/month in Pentagon City. If Amazon were to move in, i'd figure the place would now rent for ~1800.

The area also has quite a few feds, who can manage to make things work right now. Those who don't currently own will pretty soon find their salaries to be insufficient, thanks to Amazon moving in. It'd be an unmitigated disaster. And to think, they can have all the space they need if they build near IAD, and have access to an international airport, to boot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/t...-hq2-know.html

"Much of the process has been secret, and Amazon had local officials and real estate developers sign nondisclosure agreements during negotiations."

Our great plutocracy at work...
amen to that

the thing is released just after the election, so nothing could be done about it, as it'd be fait accompali. Better yet, it gets buried in the news cycle.

Last edited by echappist; 11-07-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Pack fill

Anyplace that is not within 100 miles of my home.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:32 PM
cmg

The company said it would invest more than $5 billion over almost two decades in a second headquarters, hiring as many as 50,000 full-time employees that would earn more than $100,000 a year on average.

Do any of the current Amazon locations have 50,000 full time employees making $100k or more now? No, I didn't think so. if so they'll need that amount as an incentive from the area they'll build in.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:39 PM

I'm sure Cuomo is coming up with billions in incentives, in addition to selling his own soul.

I'm just delighted Raleigh will not get them. Color me happy.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:25 PM
I need you cool.

Hindsight is 20/20....

Bezos is from New York, so planting HQ2 there makes sense....

Putting an HQ2(3) in DC makes sense for his lobbying / political needs....

As far as impact...here are some before and after shots of South Lake Union area of Seattle...roughly 2000 vs 2017
Old 11-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
The company said it would invest more than $5 billion over almost two decades in a second headquarters, hiring as many as 50,000 full-time employees that would earn more than $100,000 a year on average.

Do any of the current Amazon locations have 50,000 full time employees making $100k or more now? No, I didn't think so. if so they'll need that amount as an incentive from the area they'll build in.
Seattle. $100,000 a year on average.

Jeff