Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM

I suspect this is answered elsewhere among the resto-mod discussions, but how did you make it work with a modern groupset and cassette? I had understood that one needed to widen the rear axle gap and wasn't willing to bend my frame, but if there's an alternative I definitely want to hear it.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:11 PM

i don't think the pog was cold set for 130. when i remove the rear wheel it's just a tad extra work to "spread" the rear triangle a little wider with my thumbs (which i bend to be like a hook around the seat stays) so as to remove the wheel, then use my ring & pinky fingers to push down the derailleur to clear the lower cog. far more complicated describing it vs. actually doing it. takes all but an extra couple seconds. also, even if it is old style spacing, there's no issues with cassette alignment or shifting the athena 11 (which means no issues with wheel dish either, since they were from a modern build). hope that helps explain it. thanks again for ultimately facilitating this great bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I suspect this is answered elsewhere among the resto-mod discussions, but how did you make it work with a modern groupset and cassette? I had understood that one needed to widen the rear axle gap and wasn't willing to bend my frame, but if there's an alternative I definitely want to hear it.

Last edited by 54ny77; 03-31-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
i don't think the pog was cold set for 130. when i remove the rear wheel it's just a tad extra work to "spread" the rear triangle a little wider with my thumbs (which i bend to be like a hook around the seat stays) so as to remove the wheel, then use my ring & pinky fingers to push down the derailleur to clear the lower cog. far more complicated describing it vs. actually doing it. takes all but an extra couple seconds. also, even if it is old style spacing, there's no issues with cassette alignment or shifting the athena 11 (which means no issues with wheel dish either, since they were from a modern build). hope that helps explain it. thanks again for ultimately facilitating this great bike!
I think I get what you mean — I have to do something similar with the rear wheel on my Gios because I have a 7 speed freewheel on there.

Other question: how did you do the downtube cable guides? I'm assuming they're some kind of standard restomod parts that are designed to mount on the old shifter braze-ons (and where do you get them?).

It was 100% my pleasure to facilitate in a small way.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:52 PM

hi there, nothin' special on the downtube cable guides. available from qbp.

like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Al.../dp/B003RLLLC0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I think I get what you mean — I have to do something similar with the rear wheel on my Gios because I have a 7 speed freewheel on there.

Other question: how did you do the downtube cable guides? I'm assuming they're some kind of standard restomod parts that are designed to mount on the old shifter braze-ons (and where do you get them?).

It was 100% my pleasure to facilitate in a small way.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 AM

Yesterday, as I had my Gios up on the stand and the rear wheel off, I thought WTH and tried to put my modern 11 speed wheel on…no problem! So as I'm thinking more realistically about restomodding it, two more questions:

1. Were you able to find a Campy 28.6 clamp for the FD or did you go with another solution?
2. I see you have recessed mount brakes on your Pog -- did you have to drill the frame to mount those or was it designed for those? I'm thinking I'll stay with my NR brakes if putting modern calipers on means altering the frame.

thanks

Last edited by cgolvin; 04-05-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: punctuation...d'oh
Old 04-05-2019, 01:44 PM

The shop got a clamp from problem solvers for the front derailleur. If the frame was black I'd have used a Parlee carbon fiber clamp, since those are slick. I couldn't find a silver Campy clamp , but might poke around the internet for one. They're out there in black though.

As for brakes, the shop and I didn't do anything, I'm not aware of a recessed setup? It's a normal caliper. Both the fork crown and rear brake bridge have the usual barrel nuts.

Hope that helps.

Did your modern 130 wheel go in without too much trouble?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The shop got a clamp from problem solvers for the front derailleur. If the frame was black I'd have used a Parlee carbon fiber clamp, since those are slick. I couldn't find a silver Campy clamp , but might poke around the internet for one. They're out there in black though.
I too thought about the Parlee clamp, but like you I want silver. Another possibility is a silver 31.8 clamp and a problem solver shim, right?

Quote:
As for brakes, the shop and I didn't do anything, I'm not aware of a recessed setup? It's a normal caliper. Both the fork crown and rear brake bridge have the usual barrel nuts.
Hmm…I can't tell from your photos what the securing nuts look like. My old NR calipers have a nut that sits outside the fork/brake bridge, with a convex cap and tightened with an open end wrench or socket. The slightly newer models (early 80s) have securing nuts that look like those on current brakes, designed to sit inside the fork/brake bridge and tightened with an allen wrench. I assume yours are the latter because the calipers are modern skeletons, which won't work on my frame without some drilling (and therefore no-go).

Quote:
Oops, corrected the punctuation in my post, didn't mean to use a question mark. Yes, it went in with just about the same amount of trouble as getting my current old-style wheel in (and there was much rejoicing).

So, post Eroica and updating my Peg to the 11 speed shift group I just got, my to-do list for my restomod:

- find FD clamp
- order downtube shifter guides
- find more blue cable housing for RD final run
- build!
Old 04-06-2019, 03:50 PM

Now that I think about what you're asking re: rear brake, I'll note that I had a thread somewhere on the forum about rear caliper issues. The rear bridge brake mounting spot is hollowed out and the modern barrel nut had a slight lip, or flange, that didn't extend far enough to "grab" the thin outer lip of the center mounting point. So I sought out a myriad of diameter washers. The best (cleanest) solution for the biggest washer was a stainless lock washer at 5/8" diameter. Fit almost perfect, and since it's stainless I don't have to worry about that gunk-prone area getting messed up with a zinc washer. It took some doing to get it sorted, but now it's great. Can torque down pretty good on it. Gotta love steel--no way I'd clamp that sucker down as tight if tthe bridge was carbon fiber. Crrrrrrunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190406_134741421-2004x2672.jpg (44.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by 54ny77; 04-06-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcolumbus View Post
I have that shirt
I remember some other forum-ites giving me grief over the five masters, meanwhile, someone else made a shirt...dig it
Quote:
Congratulations on the modern build of your Pog, it looks very nice. Your rear triangle was likely set at 126 so hope you are finding the little bit of tug to 130 live-able. I am just putting the finishing touches on a old-school style steel frame with modern machine on it, this will be my first so a bit of a switch but maybe its time to do away with toe clips after all! Would love to share notes when I get it out.

I think your white Pog might have belonged to an old acquaintance JW (RIP) My newest Pog is sn 11222 which was ordered in summer of 1974 (!) and delivered right after the PO blew his knee out in Spring of 1975 (!!!) I'd have guessed your bike no where near 80's and likely shortly after the portacatana dropouts were offered (1977-8?)

Thanks for your post I enjoyed seeing and reading!

Interestingly, I also got my oldest Pog, a '63, from MG quite a few years ago, small world

Last edited by montagna_lunga; 04-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:19 PM

montagna--you'll have to inuqire of forum member cgolvin. he was made aware of it via a connection in southern california (long beach). if you indeed knew the original owner, that is very cool. and if indeed, he has passed, sad to hear. it's built up, ridden & enjoyed with great appreciation for all who touched it in one way or another.

this was the original thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210776

Quote:
Originally Posted by montagna_lunga View Post
I remember some other forum-ites giving me grief over the five masters, meanwhile, someone else made a shirt...dig it

Congratulations on the modern build of your Pog, it looks very nice. Your rear triangle was likely set at 126 so hope you are finding the little bit of tug to 130 live-able. I am just putting the finishing touches on a old-school style steel frame with modern machine on it, this will be my first so a bit of a switch but maybe its time to do away with toe clips after all! Would love to share notes when I get it out.

I think your white Pog might have belonged to an old acquaintance JW (RIP) My newest Pog is sn 11222 which was ordered in summer of 1974 (!) and delivered right after the PO blew his knee out in Spring of 1975 (!!!) I'd have guessed your bike no where near 80's and likely shortly after the portacatana dropouts were offered (1977-8?)

Thanks for your post I enjoyed seeing and reading!

Interestingly, I also got my oldest Pog, a '63, from MG quite a few years ago, small world
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190406_125007282-2004x2672.jpg (148.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by 54ny77; 04-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.