Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 AM
aka RAEKWON

OPEN U.P. Candy Green

So after many months of wait (you can read all about it in the general thread), I finally got this together. Wife, who is my personal bike photog, took this picture yesterday, more to come but it was just such a nice day I had to do it.

Build -

New OPEN U.P. Green Size L
Campagnolo Potenza Hydraulic shifters and brakes
Campagnolo 160 front, 140 rear rotors
Campagnolo Potenza Rear Derailleur
Campagnolo Chorus Front Derailleur
Reynolds ATR II 40mm 650B
Gravel King 650B x 48mm
Ritchey Superlogic Seatpost
Fabric Scoop Shallow Saddle
Salsa Cowbell Deluxe 42cm Bars
Debadged Kaloy Uno 110mm Stem
Arundel Mandibles
Praxis Alba Crankset 48-32t
Shimano Ultegra 6800 32T cassette

also have a HplusSon Hydra wheelset with 32mm 700c Gravelkings for road rides.

Weight came out to 18.1 lbs which is pretty nuts considering the only weight weenie part on the bike is the seatpost (maybe the stem, those kaloi uno stems are amazing, $25 for a 110g stem, I put some TI bolts I had laying around and dropped another 10g). The crank is also pretty heavy so it would be easy to drop another half a pound or more with a lighter crank, carbon bars and lighter saddle. Maybe upgrades for the future.

I am super happy with this bike, its a crazy good bike and I have only ridden a 40mile gravel ride yesterday. The campy hydro is as impressive as the frame.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Yay! It's alive!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 AM

Very nice
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Administrator

that's cool. look forward to checking this out next weekend in person. i wonder how many OPENs will be at deerfield.

it's really interesting how deerfield used to be a field of guys on old touring bikes, steel rando rigs and cludged road bikes. these days, the field is gravitating over to more and more super bikes that are purpose built to gravel.

i'll be curious as to your longer term feelings on this bike. in all respects, it should be better in most ways than the classic steel gravel offerings that i know you've been on in the past.

i like the color and the build, it looks killer!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:15 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that's cool. look forward to checking this out next weekend in person. i wonder how many OPENs will be at deerfield.

it's really interesting how deerfield used to be a field of guys on old touring bikes, steel rando rigs and cludged road bikes. these days, the field is gravitating over to more and more super bikes that are purpose built to gravel.

i'll be curious as to your longer term feelings on this bike. in all respects, it should be better in most ways than the classic steel gravel offerings that i know you've been on in the past.

i like the color and the build, it looks killer!
I am looking forward to D2R2, will be the ultimate test I guess. I did cold spring 40 miler, 4k ft up which is half of what D2 will be. I was hurting a bit, did not have the legs yesterday, but the bike was incredible and I got a ton of PRs on that corse (I don't think was bike only but fitness better this year).

It will be hard to compare this bike to something else, it would be unfair to compare my elephant to this. Elephant was excellent, was a bike that wanted to go places, carry stuff and look good doing so but was not a fast bike. This bike just feels incredible on the climbs, going down its a monster (admittedly I am still getting used to it and was not bombing hills like crazy). Campy hydro is also amazing, the levers feels nicer than anything I have ever had, modulation is amazing, great power, all in the same sized and great ergo that campy has.

I agree with you about how D2 has changed, a lot of cross bikes started to appear and now a lot of these big tire road bikes. I bet there will be an OPEN or 2 there. My only complaint so far with this bike, is the price.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

R3 pal, glad you got this ready in time for D2. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 747255F2-5EBA-4171-BC60-0A9AA7E1BAB1.jpg (122.9 KB, 894 views)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:36 AM
aka RAEKWON

almost ready, have a little issue with the headset that I need a shim for and trying to source it but its looking good and will hopefully make it
Old 08-13-2018, 10:15 AM

That's a beautiful bike. I love OPENs.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Nice bike! Set back seatpost on an Open? Let your freak flag fly, brother. Seriously sweet bike. Enjoy it.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Administrator

the lack of loud graphics is also noted, and appreciated.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Nice bike! Set back seatpost on an Open? Let your freak flag fly, brother. Seriously sweet bike. Enjoy it.

ahha, I could probably have done no setback since I am running the saddle forward more than normally but I always run a lot of set back on all my bikes. I also like the look of a setback post more and with this setup saddle is exactly where I want it so it will do.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Gosh, this is nice.

I've been mixed on the Open mainly because the large is too tall and the medium isn't long. Though recently I demo'd its close cousin Exploro and thought it rode marvelously, eye-opening, aside from that stupid hidden seatpost clamp that wasn't ever quite set. The Open and Exploro share a lot of DNA, and maybe I can tolerate an abnormally long stem (120-130) to get the right fit on an Open to get all of its wonderful ride quality, snazzy coloring and normal seatpost clamp. So tempting.

I'm also kind of curious what the upcoming Salsa Warbird V4 will be because the preview looks and sounds like a copy of the UP but with some practical features too (fenders, etc).

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 08-13-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 AM

so you are riding this instead of the No22?

I know these new carbon things are cool, but i just feel like Ti and gravel are made for one another.

of course im often wrong.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
the lack of loud graphics is also noted, and appreciated.
100% on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Gosh, this is nice.

I've been mixed on the Open mainly because the large is too tall and the medium isn't long. Though recently I demo'd its close cousin Exploro and though it rode marvelously, eye-opening, aside from that stupid hidden seatpost clamp that wasn't ever quite set. The Open and Exploro share a lot of DNA, and maybe I can tolerate an abnormally long stem (120-130) to get the ride fit on an Open to get all of its wonderful ride quality, snazzy coloring and normal seatpost clamp. So tempting.

I'm also kind of curious what the upcoming Salsa Warbird V4 will be because the preview looks and sounds like a copy of the UP but with some practical features too (fenders, etc).
the new warbird looks awesome, I do like the fork mount stuff and if I remember correctly, fender mounts.

I think the exploro is cool but just not into the cable routing and the seatpost. I am glad that open just did a 27.2 seatpost with a clamp. BB is press when some people would have prefered T47 but I am fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
so you are riding this instead of the No22?

I know these new carbon things are cool, but i just feel like Ti and gravel are made for one another.

of course im often wrong.
hmmm, I don't have a N22. That is hilltopperny. I would not mind a NO22 though.

I never had TI so I can't comment on it being better or worst for gravel. I did think about a TI bike but in the end decided on this. I do like carbon, the geo was good, love the color and I wanted something different than my steel bike.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Yup, Its monday and ive not had my full allotment of Coffee yet. of course that is hilltopper that has the no22. im drunk.

have fun on this rig, im sure lts like 15 lbs lighter than the elefant

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
100% on this.

the new warbird looks awesome, I do like the fork mount stuff and if I remember correctly, fender mounts.

I think the exploro is cool but just not into the cable routing and the seatpost. I am glad that open just did a 27.2 seatpost with a clamp. BB is press when some people would have prefered T47 but I am fine with it.

hmmm, I don't have a N22. That is hilltopperny. I would not mind a NO22 though.

I never had TI so I can't comment on it being better or worst for gravel. I did think about a TI bike but in the end decided on this. I do like carbon, the geo was good, love the color and I wanted something different than my steel bike.