Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 PM

I wonder how much of the subcompact thing is the Campy of tomorrow trying to cling to older riders who cling to the Campy of yesterday... me included.

Today's 11-32+ pancakes somehow make me nostalgic for the big 5 cog freewheels I saw on cheap 10 speed bikes as we called them when I was as a kid.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 PM

I am out of touch on the history of Campagnolo, but fell in love after buying a used old 8spd group in about 2002.

I have used Campy since with a foray to SRAM and a bit to Shimano. All work great but I just love the ‘clunk’ of Campy. I think they’ve introduced some pretty beautiful, highly functional parts in the 11spd era that are very durable and well crafted, so I don’t see the problem. Subcompact gearing seems a reasonable step for them as they try another shot at OEM, perhaps?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:26 AM

Unfortunately, I realized that the new Chorus 12s rear mech will, most likely, look like this abomination. Parts are getting less and less attractive over the years, on all brands, but there has to be a limit!

Tim
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Funny though that even the pro's bikes today are using pie-plate cassettes.

Campag used only a 13t top cog on many of their cassettes, so it's not like they always go for the tallest gearing.

If they are two teeth behind the competition on max cog size, it's not likely a deal-breaker for their traditional customers(?).
I've never had a ride ruined because I had too much gear range! Not enough on the other hand is a problem. Gearing is a personal thing and of course is dependent on where you are riding. But the more versatile your gearing (and tire size) the less drama you have when going to new places. And that is FUN.

BTW, I've always preferred smaller chainrings to pie plate cogs for many reasons.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
not true at all, campy brought 11 speed out first and have come out with some nice stuff way after early 1990s. They still make really good groups and some say, some of the best wheels.

lets be honest, they would sell like 10 mid reach calipers, really would not be worth for them. Subcompact has a lot more demand and I could see it being used in racing. Don't get me wrong, I do think campy is pathetic sometimes but I am not surprised they are not interested in releasing products that are not going to sell
My inquiry was well before the proliferation of Disc brakes.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Unfortunately, I realized that the new Chorus 12s rear mech will, most likely, look like this abomination. Parts are getting less and less attractive over the years, on all brands, but there has to be a limit!

Tim
But with more MAMILs demanding MTB gearing on their road bikes, your mechs are going to look more like MTB mechs.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
Thanks for putting put out the intel, Peter.

I know you said this was a niche kinda thing. But it does look like that little niche is growing. Campagnolo is wise to get in on the growth area. Euro gravel is fertile.
I think it's more of a lower gear gig, for road riders and not a "GRoad" specific gig..
Per 'listening to the people'..the 'people' in Europe and Asia aren't really into the 'Groad bike' gig..this is just a lower gear 'road' setup..IMHO, and of course, just 'rumors'..
Old 03-24-2019, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Campagnolo lost its way in the early 1990s. When the brand finally realized this, it lost its way forever by trying to go toe to toe with its competitors. Leaders lead, they don't follow. Sadly, after Tullio died, the suits in Vicenza forgot this.
Think your dates are off a little. MTB stuff, late 80s, certainly a mess..1992/3..ERGO and it 'seemed' Campagnolo 'found' it's way and realized that going toe to toe with Suntour/shimano MTB wasn't in the cards.

I know it means not a lot BUT...9s? 10s? 11s? and now 12s...hmmmm seems the 'S' group makers followed..and have been since 1997...

Lessee shimano's 12s road group?..and a sram 12s group with something other than a rear hub that's not compatible with 11s AND 12s..

Oh yes..mechanical 12s? Yes, I know electronic is a 'game changer',,,but mechanical 12s from anybody? Except Campagnolo??
Old 03-24-2019, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Sometimes Campagnolo is pathetic. I made an inquiry some time ago about including 57mm reach calipers in their product range. They responded by saying, "no, no, no, we are a road racing component manufacturer. We don't make touring components." And now they step forward with their proverbial tail between their legs.

They need a significant dope-slap. The sport of cycling is fluid, and is changing quickly. Make components that are relevant.
Lessee..shimano 57mm calipers? How about sram 57mm calipers?? Yes for shimano but way down the product range...
'Tail between their legs'..I know many would like to say Tullio is 'listening' to the YUGE(actually quite small) US GRoad riders out there but..not really.
Quote:
I have used Campy since with a foray to SRAM and a bit to Shimano. All work great but I just love the ‘clunk’ of Campy. I think they’ve introduced some pretty beautiful, highly functional parts in the 11spd era that are very durable and well crafted, so I don’t see the problem. Subcompact gearing seems a reasonable step for them as they try another shot at OEM, perhaps?
People like to slam Campagnolo...sram too but that elicits all sorts, 'stop picking on sram' stuff...Campagnolo does what 'people' have whined about..sub compact but 'too late', why not this or that'..pitiful...lessee sram and shimano sub compact please..E-Ritchie, over to you.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-24-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post

Tim
Pretty funny..really easy to show rear ders..all 3 brands but sure, show Campag only. Gotcha.
These are just, ya know, gorgeous!!(not really)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1000.jpg (11.2 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Dura-Ace-R9100-Short-Cage-Rear-Derailleur.jpg (14.9 KB, 217 views)
Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I think it's more of a lower gear gig, for road riders and not a "GRoad" specific gig..
Per 'listening to the people'..the 'people' in Europe and Asia aren't really into the 'Groad bike' gig..this is just a lower gear 'road' setup..IMHO, and of course, just 'rumors'..
That certainly might be Campagnolo's intent, but the 'Groad bike' people who like Campy will be pleased to have a sub compact option to keep things tout Campagnolo.

If this materializes, I think we'll see some interesting gravel bikes with Campy drivetrains at next year's NAHBS, and then production bikes coming for the 2020 model year.

Who knows, maybe Campagnolo will have a product launch with full availability on numerous production bikes, like Sram just did with the new 12 speed Etap. Wouldn't that be smashing!

It's fun to speculate and watch this stuff evolve...
Old 03-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Lessee..shimano 57mm calipers? How about sram 57mm calipers?? Yes for shimano but way down the product range...
'Tail between their legs'..I know many would like to say Tullio is 'listening' to the YUGE(actually quite small) US GRoad riders out there but..not really.

People like to slam Campagnolo...sram too but that elicits all sorts, 'stop picking on sram' stuff...Campagnolo does what 'people' have whined about..sub compact but 'too late', why not this or that'..pitiful...lessee sram and shimano sub compact please..E-Ritchie, over to you.
I'm not sure their 57mm brakes are 'way' down the product range. I went with Shimano 57's for this build because I didn't like any of the other options. The Mercian fit's 32mm Ultralights and fenders under them. Bike was built for the 'bottom of the pad slot' use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shimano 57a.jpg (49.0 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Shimano 57.jpg (62.9 KB, 227 views)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
I'm not sure their 57mm brakes are 'way' down the product range. I went with Shimano 57's for this build because I didn't like any of the other options. The Mercian fit's 32mm Ultralights and fenders under them. Bike was built for the 'bottom of the pad slot' use.
I understand but some gent slamming Campagnoo cuz a guy from Campag mentioned that 57mm calipers and touring groups weren't in the cards at Campagnolo..'tail between the legs'...blah, blah...

Ya know a digital watch isn't 'in the cards' at Rolex either..how dare they?..Don't those pathetic people at Rolex know there is a YUGE market for........never mind...
Quote:
but I am not surprised they are not interested in releasing products that are not going to sell
Me neither..pathetic I say...err, not.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

The mid reach shimanos are way down the product. Does not mean they are bad but its not where shimano is putting their efforts and pice shows that... or they would be releasing a DA mid reach
Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Campagnolo lost its way in the early 1990s. When the brand finally realized this, it lost its way forever by trying to go toe to toe with its competitors. Leaders lead, they don't follow. Sadly, after Tullio died, the suits in Vicenza forgot this.
While Campagnolo management leaves a lot to be desired, I don't think they ever wanted to be a Shimano.
Ever time Campag were about to be left for dead, they pulled a rabbit out of their hat with a piece of brilliance: ergo shifting...ultra torque...11 speed...shamal....bora.