Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I really like that one in the middle. Is it spring drive?
LOL! No, an ancient technology. It's a hatchling Desert Tortoise. Because they are a threatened species, you can only legally own one by adopting it from a state facility. Thus the number.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM

For about 10 years my daily wearer was an Orient Mako ($110?), before that I wore a Poljot aviator manual wind for a couple years before the crown and/or case tube threading wore out. I've debated getting that fixed one day, but OTOH the implementation of a threaded crown on a daily manual-wind was possibly not brilliant engineering.
After getting a "real job" I acquired a few Omegas I'd been wanting for a long time... blue Bond Seamaster, Dynamic III non-chrono, and a Great White Seamaster GMT which I have been wearing for most of the past year. I think I have a thing for white dials and red hands. I dig the Rolex Explorer II GMT with the polar white dial and red GMT hand, might pick one up one of these years if prices don't go absurd.

Once I started caring enough about the accuracy of my mechanicals to buy a Timegrapher and get hands-on, I quickly found that the movements in my Omegas (mine are all ETA-based AFAIK) are superior to my cheaper Seiko-based ones (e.g. 7S26) in terms of positional variation and fine adjustability. Which isn't to say that the Orients and Seikos aren't accurate (they tend to be pretty good from the factory) but jeebus does it take some luck and witchcraft to get those regulated properly if they ever take a hard knock.

I own two quartz watches, a 1980s Heuer diver that my father gave me after he bought himself a Submariner, and a G-Shock Rangeman. That Casio is pretty sweet, solar rechargeable battery, Atomic clock reception, has the temp/alti/baro/compass which I rarely use, and it will even tell you the lat/long-based sunrise and sunset times which has been useful in certain circumstances. It's the one I wear when hiking or camping or hunting.
That's about as electronically sophisticated as I'm willing to get in a watch. I have zero desire to have my email displayed on my wrist.

Clocks... I have only one that would be of any interest in this crowd. A Herschede hall clock that has been in the family. Serial number dates to 1942-ish according to the internet, but the newspaper wrapped around the lead inside the weights references post-war stuff, roughly Christmas 1945. Given that Herschede produced other things during WWII, it's possible the movement is pre-war and the clock wasn't assembled and sold until after the war (?). I should find some Herschede experts and ask. The pendulum rod is made of an alloy with low thermal expansion coefficient and I've gotten it to keep time within 0.5 seconds per week. My quartz G-shock will drift way more than that if it goes a while without receiving the atomic clock signal.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:46 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC;2517307BTW
I am intrigued by the Seiko spring drive. A very interesting technology, although it sometimes impresses me as trying to get more out of antiquated technology, like strapping a jet engine on an old pickup truck. Still interesting, though.
Spring Drive is awesome. The seconds hand is so fluid and unlike anything else, it's mesmerizing to watch.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:37 AM

I am an executor of an Estate and have two Rolex's to sale. One is a Woman's justdate President 18k gold. the other is this. What is the best way to sell these items. rolex watch.jpg
Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
I am an executor of an Estate and have two Rolex's to sale. One is a Woman's justdate President 18k gold. the other is this. What is the best way to sell these items. Attachment 1697976727
That one is so bad it’s good
Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
That one is so bad it’s good
+1 I can't believe my eyes
Old 03-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

But how well does it keep time?