Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM

OT: NYTimes article on watches

I know we have some watch aficionados here. I got my Seiko auto based on recs here

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/s...gtype=Homepage
Old 03-21-2019, 01:24 PM

I was a great fan of mechanical wrist watches, but this particular segment of the hobby totally turned me off the whole thing. I stopped reading Hodinkee because they would report on watch auctions as if these men were performing acts of bravery and heroism by winning a Daytona watch auction. "The room was electrified as the hammer neared dropping" - as if. It's another way for the mega rich to shelter their money, and undoubtedly doesn't stop anywhere short of money laundering like the art auction world. It's a grotesque performance.

I still peek my head into that world from time to time, but I mostly just stick to beating up my Squale. Whatever 285,000CHF piece MB&F comes out with next no longer interests me at all because of the wealthy circus of vanity.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:44 PM

I love my Seiko autos and my Hamilton hand cranker field watch and my Grand Seiko quartz.

The values are eyepopping, but I find watches just as fun at the shallow end of the pool, comparatively speaking.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleklobbs View Post
I was a great fan of mechanical wrist watches, but this particular segment of the hobby totally turned me off the whole thing. I stopped reading Hodinkee because they would report on watch auctions as if these men were performing acts of bravery and heroism by winning a Daytona watch auction. "The room was electrified as the hammer neared dropping" - as if. It's another way for the mega rich to shelter their money, and undoubtedly doesn't stop anywhere short of money laundering like the art auction world. It's a grotesque performance.

I still peek my head into that world from time to time, but I mostly just stick to beating up my Squale. Whatever 285,000CHF piece MB&F comes out with next no longer interests me at all because of the wealthy circus of vanity.
just like you can't let yourself get discouraged about fun cars just because the price of air cooled porsches has gone insane - there are lots of great watches out there in the highly affordable range.

i just acquired this little number, one of the least expensive watches i've ever bought, and i'm loving it!

Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM

These things hardly seem like Blue Chip investments (from the article).

It's like $250k 1959 Sunburst Gibson Les Paul auctions, there are a small # of people who are willing to pay that but there is no guarantee they will always exist.

Not that it has anything to do with a fun accessible watch or a $2000 2019 Les Paul.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
These things hardly seem like Blue Chip investments (from the article).

It's like $250k 1959 Sunburst Gibson Les Paul auctions, there are a small # of people who are willing to pay that but there is no guarantee they will always exist.

Not that it has anything to do with a fun accessible watch or a $2000 2019 Les Paul.
Most people people, even in the developed world, have just as much ability to be able to afford a 2000 dollar watch/guitar, as as 250k one....

I too used to be interested in watches, but the reality is they are just status symbols, I bought a apple watch which has 100% more functionality than any mechanical watch, sure it's not as "cool" but I haven't worn any of my mechanical watches since I got it, and probably will sell them.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:21 PM

I can understand the handmade stuff, but Rolex's aren't exactly hand made...
The grand complications of Patek and others are true works of art (saw ones at a Geneva show in 90's, think it was this one or very similar

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/...-of-watches-2/

Note what it is "worth" vs what you can get after commissions is a different matter!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
I too used to be interested in watches, but the reality is they are just status symbols,.
Disagree with this being the "reality". I wear a mechanical watch every day. I guarantee no one around me has any idea what brand my watch is or if it costs more than a timex, so i doubt i get any status cred for it.

Quote:
I bought a apple watch which has 100% more functionality than any mechanical watch
go for a 3 day backpacking trip and dont take any chargers with you. let us know if that 100% figure is 100% accurate.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Disagree with this being the "reality". I wear a mechanical watch every day. I guarantee no one around me has any idea what brand my watch is or if it costs more than a timex, so i doubt i get any status cred for it.
Why wear it? A cheap quartz watch is more functional, esp something like a Gshock.

Quote:
go for a 3 day backpacking trip and dont take any chargers with you. let us know if that 100% figure is 100% accurate.
Gshock, garmin Fenix, but I don't go backpacking. A heavy mechanical watch isn't very functional for backpacking.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
just like you can't let yourself get discouraged about fun cars just because the price of air cooled porsches has gone insane - there are lots of great watches out there in the highly affordable range.
Oh totally. It's just something I was keenly consuming before, but now I just quietly keep to myself with the couple of watches I already own and rotate through. I'll still strike up a conversation if I notice someone with a particularly cool watch on though.

This was my last buy before I jumped off the ship.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM
il Curmudgeoni

A variant of this has been used for all kinds of things (including bikes) but I think it applies - "How do you make a million dollars buying watches? Start with two million." Certainly there are watches that have gone up in value to reach crazy numbers in the last few years but that's a bubble that will undoubtedly burst at some point. It's similar to what happened with muscle cars many years ago.

Quote:
Bingo. The only people who have any idea of what's on my wrist are other watch nuts.

Quote:
A heavy mechanical watch isn't very functional for backpacking.
While it doesn't only apply to mechanical watches, a watch with an analog face can function as a compass when the GPS stops working. https://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analo...h-as-a-Compass
Old 03-21-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleklobbs View Post
Oh totally. It's just something I was keenly consuming before, but now I just quietly keep to myself with the couple of watches I already own and rotate through. I'll still strike up a conversation if I notice someone with a particularly cool watch on though.

This was my last buy before I jumped off the ship.

Now thats a cool watch. I get the old watch thing, even if its become a “thing.” But I ll content myself with cheap vintage stuff like omega connies and seamasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Why wear it? A cheap quartz watch is more functional, esp something like a Gshock.

Gshock, garmin Fenix, but I don't go backpacking. A heavy mechanical watch isn't very functional for backpacking.
If only they made mechanical watches designed to exist in the field. Something slim so it doesn't get caught on anything, rugged still, simple and reliable.

Maybe they'd even call them field watches.

Sure, a Rolex Deep Sea Dweller is silly for the backpacking excursion. But a Tudor Ranger? A Hamilton Khaki Field? A Seiko Alpinist?

Ye Gods man, that's what those watches are built for.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If only they made mechanical watches designed to exist in the field. Something slim so it doesn't get caught on anything, rugged still, simple and reliable.

Maybe they'd even call them field watches.

Sure, a Rolex Deep Sea Dweller is silly for the backpacking excursion. But a Tudor Ranger? A Hamilton Khaki Field? A Seiko Alpinist?

Ye Gods man, that's what those watches are built for.
Time, and technology has moved on, I doubt anyone on a serious expedition is using any of those watches these days, just as Pilots aren't using IWC Fliegers.

Quartz watches are superior, in every measurable way, to mechanical watches, not to even mention smart watches.

And since you mentioned diving watches, are you sure you don't want a diving computer instead? Seriously.

Last edited by ftf; 03-21-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Time, and technology has moved on, I doubt anyone on a serious expedition is using any of those watches these days, just as Pilots aren't using IWC Fliegers.

Quartz watches are superior, in every measurable way, to mechanical watches, not to even mention smart watches.

And since you mentioned diving watches, are you sure you don't want a diving computer instead? Seriously.
If you're on an expedition sponsored by Rolex, then yes, you wear a Rolex. And the photographer documents you wearing it

I have a friend that works in the classic car market, and he observed that production numbers are the most important thing to determine value. I'd expect that to be true for watches as well. There are a few very rare cars, and the rest are mass market examples that will never fetch a high price tag. I wouldn't expect a current volume produced Speedmaster to ever be worth more than retail.

I do think that the watch companies are highly involved in the second hand market to create the illusion that these pieces are a good "investment". When selling a premium product it helps with the mental accounting if you can amortize the cost over your whole life and the lives of your children and grand children.