Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 AM

I'm a fatty.
Life used to be much simpler, I commuted to work and was your average weekend racer: weighed about 139/140 lbs at 5'6".

Now at 55 I'm 155lbs and it's all in my gut. I'm basically only riding on the weekends now because of my demanding schedule/work. I'm unfit and remember being really fit, which bums me. I want to be fit, but quitting my job is not an option so it is what it is. My love of food and wine does not help.

At this point I'd be happy if I could just get back into the 140's.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:57 AM

You can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo251 View Post
I'm a fatty.
Life used to be much simpler, I commuted to work and was your average weekend racer: weighed about 139/140 lbs at 5'6".

Now at 55 I'm 155lbs and it's all in my gut. I'm basically only riding on the weekends now because of my demanding schedule/work. I'm unfit and remember being really fit, which bums me. I want to be fit, but quitting my job is not an option so it is what it is. My love of food and wine does not help.

At this point I'd be happy if I could just get back into the 140's.
This post really breaks my heart. In almost fifteen years as a personal trainer, I've seen this lament time after time. And, frankly, I've undergone a personal transformation as well.

When I first started out, I used to be much more judgemental about people's inability to get fit. I have since become more educated, and as a result, more compassionate.

The modern way of life has a detrimental effect on everyone. I think it's slowly killing us. And I don't think the solution is to train for a Spartan Race or a double century. I think it's too move consistently throughout the day.

Put another way, there is a difference between "movement" and "excercise." The former is inherent to us, and the latter is something we "do" as in "going to the gym." Focusing on everyday movement will have a profound effect on your fitness - much more than going to the gym. Or seeing a personal trainer.

Take the stairs whenever you can. Do five body weight squats an hour. Walk to lunch (or work if you can). Not only will you feel better, you'll have more energy, and be able to better regulate insulin levels. You'll also see a marked improvement in flexibility.

Yes, we are awash in junk food. People need to eat sensibly and use food as nourishment and sustenance. (Instead of a means of coping with anxiety, or depression, for example).

But the real fault lies with our way of life. Being sedentary (sitting) for ten hours a day is a recipe for disaster.

And that's not your fault. Or anyone else's.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 AM
Are you thinking....

This thread is more like the confessions of cyclists that feel guilty at +10 lbs

Let's get this back on track. 6' 4", 58 year old former college athlete currently hitting the scales at a robust 269. Was 290 right after Christmas and the proximity to the BIG 3-OH scared the hell out of me. Didn't make my doc happy either. I've been playing at getting in shape for over a decade, but made a couple of obvious changes this time -- Cut the alcohol, eliminated anything that resembled a dessert (and french fries), kept an eye on portions and try and exercise as much as possible (made it a priority as opposed to a hobby). A good friend suggested reading Younger Next Year, and while there's nothing in there that's revolutionary, this time the message spoke to me.

Feeling better, sleeping better and while I'm still first to the city limit sign only when I 'surprise' everyone on a downhill sprint, progress is being made. 240 by my birthday (November) is an intermediate goal and 220 by my 34th anniversary is the target (364 days away). We'll see from there.

Okay, you guys can get back to your "I'm 170, but feel like I should be 162, and BTW, do these bibs make me look fat?" conversation. Sheesh...
Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Administrator

to add to the above:

one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"Know the difference between a problem, and an excuse"

That is not meant as a harsh statement, but one i try to live by.

Lots of times i'll skip a workout or the gym or whatever because i had a long day at work, i'm travelling, whatever.

the reality is that almost any of us can spare 20 - 30 minutes a day somewhere to sneak in some cardio, etc. hell, i surf the internet for a few hours every day it seems, there is always some "fat" to trim in our schedules to prioritize personal health.

do it jimbo!

(I'm talking to myself here too!)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:48 PM

Re:

I'm 58 years old and 5'11." Until recently I weighed 225 lbs. Years of working long hours, grabbing fast food when I had the time, and general laziness had taken its toll. I decided last August to do something about it. I started riding more intently than I had since my racing days as a 20 year old. I also started a diet program that peeled the weight off. I reached my goal of 175 lbs. around Christmas. I now have my endurance and climbing back again... best of all, the doctor took me off blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes (type 2) meds... I'm med-free for the first time in years. I probably don't want to reach my old racing weight of 160 lbs, as it's too skinny, but very happy where I am now.
Make the change, it's worth it.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
I'm 58 years old and 5'11." Until recently I weighed 225 lbs. Years of working long hours, grabbing fast food when I had the time, and general laziness had taken its toll. I decided last August to do something about it. I started riding more intently than I had since my racing days as a 20 year old. I also started a diet program that peeled the weight off. I reached my goal of 175 lbs. around Christmas. I now have my endurance and climbing back again... best of all, the doctor took me off blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes (type 2) meds... I'm med-free for the first time in years. I probably don't want to reach my old racing weight of 160 lbs, as it's too skinny, but very happy where I am now.
Make the change, it's worth it.
amazing!

very good work bart!

one question i have: when your doctor put you on the various meds, did he/she lay it out in plain english that you may be able to get off them if you lost some weight and got healthier?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
amazing!

very good work bart!

one question i have: when your doctor put you on the various meds, did he/she lay it out in plain english that you may be able to get off them if you lost some weight and got healthier?
No, my doctor just said I should lose weight. My family has a history of diabetes and I thought that I was stuck with it. But a friend of mine was able to get off his meds and that inspired me.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
No, my doctor just said I should lose weight. My family has a history of diabetes and I thought that I was stuck with it. But a friend of mine was able to get off his meds and that inspired me.
great news bart. talk about a win-win situation!

i've heard this same type of success story from a few personal friends and family now. i wish doctors would promote weight loss and diet change as at least potential alternatives to drugs.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:32 PM

doc told me same thing, get my s&^! together or my life would be different.

duly noted and that was about 40 lbs ago this time last year. occasionally swing the lbs. a bit depending on work demands/travel/client stuff (it's hard to be "that guy" at dinner table on diet...), but am able to recalibrate and reset within a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
great news bart. talk about a win-win situation!

i've heard this same type of success story from a few personal friends and family now. i wish doctors would promote weight loss and diet change as at least potential alternatives to drugs.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:36 PM

health and exercise

I find it shocking to walk down the isles of a supermarket and see row upon row of junk food. There are isles and isles of it. That is just plum crazy.

I have been a vegetarian for at least 30 years and am about 6' 3" now and around 185 pounds. Pretty much what I was back at university. I am 61 now.

I exercise at least six days a week for 1.5 hours per day or more depending on what I am doing. I make the time to do this and it is not always easy to do.

If we look back to what our ancestors of a few generations ago ate and what they did for work, we might find some pretty simple solutions to healthy living.

And staying away from those centre isles of the store, that is key too!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
I find it shocking to walk down the isles of a supermarket and see row upon row of junk food. There are isles and isles of it. That is just plum crazy.

I have been a vegetarian for at least 30 years and am about 6' 3" now and around 185 pounds. Pretty much what I was back at university. I am 61 now.

I exercise at least six days a week for 1.5 hours per day or more depending on what I am doing. I make the time to do this and it is not always easy to do.

If we look back to what our ancestors of a few generations ago ate and what they did for work, we might find some pretty simple solutions to healthy living.

And staying away from those centre isles of the store, that is key too!
Kudos, Patrick. On the fitness and eating regimen. One of the best things you can do for the enironment is cut back on meat consumption. No real sweet tooth here, but I love me some carne asada ...
Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM

you are too kind!

You are too kind XXtwindad!

I always felt bad eating animal meat or flesh and stopped once I had control over what I ate.

You are right about the impact of meat production on the environment. It is up to each person to decide what is best for them, not always an easy call.

I worked in Environmental Management in industry as I felt it was important for us to minimize our impact on the environment we inhabit.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:17 AM

6’ 203# with a recent history of cancer, exercise induced arrhythmia and abdominal blockage and I think I’m just figuring out now how food impacts my health. Four years ago when I lived in Orlando I weighed 190, rode 150 miles a week I thought I was healthy. However I was on four medications, including two that were diet related.

In February this year at 212# my lady and I began Whole 30 meal plan, within a week I was sleeping better, happier, had more energy and lost 3 lbs. Six weeks on, I have lost 9 lbs, and am now off two meds.

I’m healthier now than when I weighed 190 because I’m eating well and have energy to work and exercise with focus whereas I used to exercise to relieve stress and give me focus. In hindsight, I now realize that I had it backwards. The fuel you put in the engine is a bigger component than the energy you put in trying to make a bigger engine. The weight loss will come I’m certain, but get the diet right first. Alcohol, fried foods, sugar, processed foods are all the devil. As well, cooking and meal prep connects you with the food you consume in important ways that eating out or ordering in doesn’t, the rhythm of cooking is part of relaxation and meal prep reinforces the connection to the food as fuel paradigm that is essential to healthier eating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 07:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Crush View Post
Let's get this back on track. 6' 4", 58 year old former college athlete currently hitting the scales at a robust 269. Was 290 right after Christmas and the proximity to the BIG 3-OH scared the hell out of me. Didn't make my doc happy either. I've been playing at getting in shape for over a decade, but made a couple of obvious changes this time -- Cut the alcohol, eliminated anything that resembled a dessert (and french fries), kept an eye on portions and try and exercise as much as possible (made it a priority as opposed to a hobby). A good friend suggested reading Younger Next Year, and while there's nothing in there that's revolutionary, this time the message spoke to me.

Feeling better, sleeping better and while I'm still first to the city limit sign only when I 'surprise' everyone on a downhill sprint, progress is being made. 240 by my birthday (November) is an intermediate goal and 220 by my 34th anniversary is the target (364 days away). We'll see from there.

Okay, you guys can get back to your "I'm 170, but feel like I should be 162, and BTW, do these bibs make me look fat?" conversation. Sheesh...
Yup..hammer toe and difficulty getting new shoes(at Wholesale$..yup) plus cold winter, and mannying a LOT..means 210 now..up about 9 pounds, which is less than I thought. BUT, at .68 of a century, realize consistency is key...eating, doing 'something' everyday I can..I guess I'll lose some weight but...the idea is to go ride(or something) cuz I like it, not cuz it makes me lose weight.
'Mechanical meditation'...
Old 03-24-2019, 08:43 PM

5'8" (on a good day).

When I was a bike messenger in my 20s I weighed 125-130.

At my heaviest in my 40s I weighed 175-180.

Now in my 50s I weigh 148 (as of Friday), down approx 15lbs since my post Christmas commitment to cooking my own meals instead of eating out 3-4 times a week, as well as a reduction in sugar & beer intake.