Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Square taper bottom brackets. Especially cartridge type. Still riding one in a hybrid bike for 20 years.
This subject could be a thread of its own. To think that somehow Eddy, Sean, Bernard, Guido and a cast of others *somehow* managed to sprint as they did on square taper bottom brackets...BUT, Fred Freddington found them to be inadequately stiff for the weekly town limit sprint at the local weekly world championship ride...So we have outboard bearings with much more exposure to the elements and the complete abandonment of any standards for configuration/fit. The end result is that the sport has gotten much noisier with all of the clicking, ticking, moaning and groaning of these new "superior" systems...I have several bikes with Campy UT, and it is probably among the best of a bad lot, but it's inferior to a similar setup with a Campy Record square taper setup, IMHO...
Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
This subject could be a thread of its own. To think that somehow Eddy, Sean, Bernard, Guido and a cast of others *somehow* managed to sprint as they did on square taper bottom brackets...BUT, Fred Freddington found them to be inadequately stiff for the weekly town limit sprint at the local weekly world championship ride...So we have outboard bearings with much more exposure to the elements and the complete abandonment of any standards for configuration/fit. The end result is that the sport has gotten much noisier with all of the clicking, ticking, moaning and groaning of these new "superior" systems...I have several bikes with Campy UT, and it is probably among the best of a bad lot, but it's inferior to a similar setup with a Campy Record square taper setup, IMHO...
All of this ^^^^^
Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 PM

>>Almost all the Jerseys I've bought, but if I had to pick one brand in particular it'd be Louis Garneau

Garneau used to sew on the American side in Newport VT, they had a factory store, literally with people sewing in back. After spending 50.00 they handed me a free French jersey.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 PM

20 year old Serotta steel frame -- it might be one of a kind and cannot be replaced
Shimano SPD pedals
Someone said Rubino Pro tires -- second this
Louis Garneau jersey
Selle Italia Novus saddle
Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Syncros stems and seatposts
Am Classic Tri-Lock headsets and the t-less version
Cane Creek 110 headsets
Mavic 571/2 hubs
Dura Ace hubs of pretty much any generation

AFA square taper cranks: I was riding when the switchover to Octalink happened. Got a set of Octalink cranks and BB and installed em on a SBC M2 Road Pro. I could immediately feel how much stiffer the crank/BB interface was. For about a week, then they were just another crank and BB

Same thing happened when I went from a forged stem to a Syncros stem. The rep at Syncros warned me to be careful the 1st time I sprinted on their (quill) stem: 'it's stiffer and you're going to lever your wheel out from underneath you!'

Humph I've been riding for about a decade. It'll be fine.

So what happened? 1st sprint I darn near levered my front wheel out from under me! Things got better after that and I didn't do that again!

M
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Time ATAC SPD pedals, the 1st 2 generations. I've got them on all my bikes still, some standard, some carbon, some with Ti spindles, and one fancy set that has aluminum spring axles and Ti springs from Stan's, SUPER light!
Funny, I somewhat agree with this. I own them ATAC12 on my gravel bike and MTB. I have only owned four pairs of these . I bought the second as a back up on eBay for a screaming deal, then put them on my MTB. They fell apart within 3 or 4 rides. I bought another pair from competitive cycles and no issues and then another pair as a backup. If you search the internet either there are a theme of them falling apart while others say they are great. My feeling is there are counterfeits out there or there are factory defects getting into the marketplace.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el chaba View Post
this subject could be a thread of its own. To think that somehow eddy, sean, bernard, guido and a cast of others *somehow* managed to sprint as they did on square taper bottom brackets...but, fred freddington found them to be inadequately stiff for the weekly town limit sprint at the local weekly world championship ride...so we have outboard bearings with much more exposure to the elements and the complete abandonment of any standards for configuration/fit. The end result is that the sport has gotten much noisier with all of the clicking, ticking, moaning and groaning of these new "superior" systems...i have several bikes with campy ut, and it is probably among the best of a bad lot, but it's inferior to a similar setup with a campy record square taper setup, imho...
+1 .......
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 AM

On this subject, I think that special recognition is in order for Campagnolo Ergopower levers of the (8) 9 and 10 speed era. They are one of the best designed/functioning bicycle components that I have ever had the pleasure of using, are brilliant ergonomically, and are remarkably durable. When they finally show a bit of wear, in the vast majority of cases they can be repaired with parts costing less than $20.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM

Look Delta pedals. I have a pair that has lasted 30 years with no maintenance.

I also agree with square taper bottom brackets, King headsets, and Campagnolo 8, 9, and 10 speed Ergo levers. The first generation Ergo levers (with the pointy hoods) were great with just the right amount of mechanical feel to them.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Stuff that’s proven itself over the years.

My likes:

Reynolds Ouzo Pro road fork.

Take-a-look mirror

Cinelli gel handlebar tape

Toppeak Master Blaster frame pump

Ultegra cassettes

Spokey nipple wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mike Bryant; 03-23-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:47 AM

Campagnolo 10 speed and Record 99 hubs
Ritchey by Sugino square taper cranks
SKS 1941 track pump
Koolstop salmon pads
Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 AM

1980s Adidas Eddy Merckx black nylon lace-up road shoes were/are extremely durable.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:07 AM

Voler clothing.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:11 AM

Ray's Handlebra, had it custom stitched to match my Firefly
[ATTACH]10074446486_34239fb51c_z.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10074446306_dd87f2a4eb_z.jpg (108.1 KB, 165 views)
Old 03-27-2019, 04:15 AM
ZhugeLiang

thank you steve pal for bringing up Ray pals' handlebra tape. I had a white one put on my new custom bike several years ago and that thing lasted for five years and could go longer if not for the fact that I had to strip it down for a repaint. It's an amazing product!