Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Replcement Pulleys for Vintage Campy derailleur

I just restored a Ciocc Designer 84 with vintage Super Record. The upper jockey wheel is shot with the teeth almost gone. As a result it is not shifting all that great. What is the best replacement?

I have some Campy 8-speed pulleys, will those work? Soma sells replacements, too. Will any 10-tooth pulley work? I have some performance forte brand pulleys, too. However, they are 11-tooth. Will an 11-tooth work?

I imagine the keys are width and fit into the exiting cage -- am I close? I will replace both.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

--Sheldon Brown
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM

Go to your local coop and pull some from a suntour RD. Works fine
Old 03-21-2019, 12:39 PM

I have used 10 speed pulleys on earlier derailers due to availability and cost of vintage stuff. I don't think there's a lot of magic going on with pulleys from these eras.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:51 PM

Not cheap but they're cheaper then NOS period correct Bullseyes.

https://store.somafab.com/sonujowh.html
Old 03-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Go to your local coop and pull some from a suntour RD. Works fine
Suntour is the derailer to take pullies from for a Simplex derailer install.

The bolts/holes are 6mm, not 5mm like Campag.

Most any older Shimano pullies will work in a vintage Campag derailer (up through 8s or so) and have the correct 5mm bolt hole and appropriate width for use in an older Campag derailer using original-length bolts.

I suspect that the Soma product description mis-states compatibility with Suntour derailers, virtually all of which used 6mm bolts.
Suntour sold aftermarket ball-bearing pullies with 6mm holes but included an adapter sleeve in each pulley for other brand installs. Prized item to find NIB!

There are many generic replacements available in 10t, usually the width is ~ok, but always measure. It's a real pain to have to use spacer washers along each side of a pulley when the derailer is already mounted on the bike and with the chain as an already-closed loop.

These here generic pulleys I bought for the Simplex, and was able to drill out (to 6mm) the blue pulley "hub caps" that fit into the oversized bearings in the pullies.
I did however have to use a washer under each bolt's head since the new pulleys were just enough thinner that the un-threaded center of the bolts began binding in the threads as I tightened them down.

Last edited by dddd; 03-21-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I have used 10 speed pulleys on earlier derailers due to availability and cost of vintage stuff. I don't think there's a lot of magic going on with pulleys from these eras.
There was an abrupt change in the width of Shimano's pulleys around the time of the change to 9s iir.

The thinner pulleys may be ok though,
1) ...if the chain is narrow enough, and
2) ...if the bolts get a spacer washer to prevent bottoming of the threads or bolt protrusion towards the spokes.

On the pictured setup I posted, I did both, narrower 9s chain and bolt washers.

Note that any change in tooth count will make the dimensions of the cage suddenly less than optimal in terms of chain control.

Last edited by dddd; 03-21-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Thank you. I might have some bullseyes squirreled away some where. I did not think of them until it was mentioned. I am trying not to spend more money and use up what I have in "inventory." I need to go through the "graveyard" to see what I can cannibalize. Otherwise, either the somas or the replacements from velo orange.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...heels-10-tooth

--Sheldon Brown

Last edited by OperaLover; 03-21-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 PM

I would try and score some vintage Bullseye pulleys for that bike. They aren't cheap but they come in cool colors
Old 03-21-2019, 08:00 PM

Bullseye pulleys work fine, but so do Shimano replacement 10 tooth pulleys for like $10 a pair.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Suntour is the derailer to take pullies from for a Simplex derailer install.

The bolts/holes are 6mm, not 5mm like Campag.

Most any older Shimano pullies will work in a vintage Campag derailer (up through 8s or so) and have the correct 5mm bolt hole and appropriate width for use in an older Campag derailer using original-length bolts.

I suspect that the Soma product description mis-states compatibility with Suntour derailers, virtually all of which used 6mm bolts.
Suntour sold aftermarket ball-bearing pullies with 6mm holes but included an adapter sleeve in each pulley for other brand installs. Prized item to find NIB!

There are many generic replacements available in 10t, usually the width is ~ok, but always measure. It's a real pain to have to use spacer washers along each side of a pulley when the derailer is already mounted on the bike and with the chain as an already-closed loop.

These here generic pulleys I bought for the Simplex, and was able to drill out (to 6mm) the blue pulley "hub caps" that fit into the oversized bearings in the pullies.
I did however have to use a washer under each bolt's head since the new pulleys were just enough thinner that the un-threaded center of the bolts began binding in the threads as I tightened them down.

Good to know. I had a 1984 sr rear der with white suntour pulley wheels. Must’ve been modified.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I like Tacx pulleys.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
I just restored a Ciocc Designer 84 with vintage Super Record. The upper jockey wheel is shot with the teeth almost gone. As a result it is not shifting all that great. What is the best replacement?

I have some Campy 8-speed pulleys, will those work? Soma sells replacements, too. Will any 10-tooth pulley work? I have some performance forte brand pulleys, too. However, they are 11-tooth. Will an 11-tooth work?

I imagine the keys are width and fit into the exiting cage -- am I close? I will replace both.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Best I found are TACX wee cart bearing pulleys with little inserts to space the cage properly for the chain. Campag 8s will work but may need to do above, since they are thinner than the vintage SR ones. Any 10 tooth pulley will work tho..as long as the width is maintained..BUT, for my 6s freewheel. I use a 9s chain..better clearance clarence...rear cage and front der.
Attached Images
File Type: png tacxpulley4090_01.png (52.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 AM

Problem solved.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and offers. I found a gently used pair (in red) in my stash that I have been toting around for decades. Even had the instructions! I was missing one of the four washers, but managed to find one that was the same thickness in the "random washers, nuts and bolts" drawer. Installed last night. Much improved shifting. BONUS! even period correct.

Cheers!

--Sheldon Brown
Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Good to know. I had a 1984 sr rear der with white suntour pulley wheels. Must’ve been modified.
Actually, the Suntour pulleys WILL fit derailers with thinner bolts, but there will be some eccentric play before getting tightened down.
I like keeping the parts centered though (there are sleeves for this) because pulley bolts tend to loosen in any less than perfect installation.
The factory thread locking compound on the bolt threads is there for a reason and should be restored at each installation. Dirt on the mounting surfaces (between cage plates) is also notorious for giving a false sense of having tightened the bolts sufficiently, as the dirt compresses during tightening but fails to sustain bolt tension over time.
I suffered a dislocated shoulder related to a derailer pulley coming loose while riding, so you could say that I have an axe to grind!
I've also had riding companions lose their pulleys during fast downhill stretches off road, and it's no fun having to track down the pieces just so you can ride home. Same with car keys falling out of a seat pack, makes for a sorry situation.