Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2020, 12:58 AM
#BLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
In terms of this LBS concern, perhaps many of their clients transport their bicycles via car for repair?
Old 02-27-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
messlifebestlife!
Old 02-28-2020, 01:56 PM
Glory bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Exact same thing happening in my home town of Munich. The Fraunhofer Straße got some parking removed and bike lanes created, 95% of the people living there love it, the other 5% make noise. One of them is the owner of a bike store in said road.
In my village, the same merchants who complain the loudest about the dearth of parking will themselves park as close to their businesses as possible. This includes the mechanic at the LBS (except he doesn't complain, and commutes from Jersey, and is a great wrench, so no offense, Bob)
Old 02-28-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
It’s a different story during rush hour or the weekend when Valencia is a long parking lot for Uber and Lyft.
Interesting. I lived on 19th and Valencia for about 4 years in the mid-90s and always found it fine to ride down, but the city has changed so much that I imagine my recollection of it is totally different than today's reality. (Not to mention that in those days we paid $1,100/mo for a large (about 1,300 sq ft), lovely apartment with 3 bedrooms and 2 fireplaces. I shudder to think what that would cost now.) I used to go to Valencia Cyclery occasionally for small parts and they were always friendly. In those days it was a very modest neighborhood, so the bikes were generally low- to mid-end. No idea what it's like now.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Last edited by Tony Edwards; 02-28-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Edwards View Post
Interesting. I lived on 19th and Valencia for about 4 years in the mid-90s and always found it fine to ride down, but the city has changed so much that I imagine my recollection of it is totally different than today's reality. (Not to mention that in those days we paid $1,100/mo for a large (about 1,300 sq ft), lovely apartment with 3 bedrooms and 2 fireplaces. I shudder to think what that would cost now.) I used to go to Valencia Cyclery occasionally for small parts and they were always friendly. In those days it was a very modest neighborhood, so the bikes were generally low- to mid-end. No idea what it's like now.
Put it this way.. .A 1 bedroom can range from $2500-4200/ mo and there’s a lemonade stand on Valencia and 20th that’s $8 a cup

So things are pretty much the same
Old 02-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Put it this way.. .A 1 bedroom can range from $2500-4200/ mo and there’s a lemonade stand on Valencia and 20th that’s $8 a cup

Ice is extra.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Ha! Well at least there are dispensaries now.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Old 03-01-2020, 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=temeyone
I understand the perspective of the shop owner, but if your clientele isn’t willing to walk a few minutes to your shop, perhaps they aren’t going to be consistent customers regardless.[/QUOTE]

C'mon, you know the typical American. The business revenues of a health club would likely get cut in half if the clientele had to walk two blocks to get to it. We can ridicule the typical American, we can hope the typical American changes attitude, but a business owner has to deal with reality as it is.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:36 PM

Bike shop owner supports cyclist segregation after all (or at least pretends to): https://www.valenciacyclery.com/vale...ted-bike-lanes.

Quote:
To whom it may concern:

My words have been taken out of context in the media.

Valencia Cyclery is for greater safety for cyclists and pedestrians and to suggest otherwise is simply absurd. We are not against a protected bicycle lane down Valencia Street.

We and other businesses of Valencia Street are disappointed not to be included in the selection process. We feel that we have a right to be able to discuss the different options. We will continue to partner with members of the Bike Coalition and the SFMTA to make cycling safer down Valencia Street.

I have reached out to Kimberly Leung of the SFMTA and a few of our neighbors. Three different plans were made for the protected bike lane on the street. The rejected plan for moving the bikes to the center lane seems like a workable compromise for everyone. Delivery trucks, cars turning right, driveways or rideshare vehicles will not jeopardize cyclists. The businesses will have easier and safer access for deliveries. More customer parking will be preserved. We feel that we can convince the other businesses to accept it as the best option.

This is a sincere attempt to have a protected bike lane everyone can support. Please help us make that a reality.

In any case, Valencia Cyclery will welcome any bike lane improvements made on Valencia Street.

Thank you.

Paul Olszewski

Owner
Old 03-03-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Bike shop owner supports cyclist segregation after all (or at least pretends to): https://www.valenciacyclery.com/vale...ted-bike-lanes.
I wonder what prompted his change of heart ?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I wonder what prompted his change of heart ?
I suppose that it's the venom poured forth on social media by angry, self-righteous "cycling advocates" (most of whom have never even entered the shop), who are calling for a boycott.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I suppose that it's the venom poured forth on social media by angry, self-righteous "cycling advocates" (most of whom have never even entered the shop), who are calling for a boycott.
You might have a point. The "Social Media Mob Mentality" is scary.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:40 AM

He wrote a stupid letter and said many, many dumb things. It wasn't taken out of context by the media. This wasn't a pull-quote devoid of context. And instead of just an apology for, at best, a sloppily worded letter that poorly explained his point, he decides to point the finger at the press. That dog don't hunt.

Good luck with the business, but the public stances have only been confusing on top of confusing.