Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 02:58 PM

Interesting article on LBS

I saw this on Bicycle Retailer and thought I would share with all. I like the approach:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/opin...y#.XlWIOUpOlhE
Old 02-25-2020, 04:33 PM

Every morning when we rise from our own private dreamlands, we each stare in the mirror at our own true selves. If only for a moment, through bleary eyes and under fluorescent lights humming softly to themselves a song only they know, we are given a window into our own souls.

Then, in a habit that long ago ceased being a conscious choice, we put on the mask we wish to show the world, and step out into the masquerade party that is daily human existence.

Authenticity is a luxury afforded only to shut-ins and those stranded on desert islands, isolated from the rest of humankind.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerherzogsid View Post
Every morning when we rise from our own private dreamlands, we each stare in the mirror at our own true selves. If only for a moment, through bleary eyes and under fluorescent lights humming softly to themselves a song only they know, we are given a window into our own souls.

Then, in a habit that long ago ceased being a conscious choice, we put on the mask we wish to show the world, and step out into the masquerade party that is daily human existence.

Authenticity is a luxury afforded only to shut-ins and those stranded on desert islands, isolated from the rest of humankind.

That certainly is a good explanation for why I like to spend so much time by myself. Also, why I prefer to ride solo 95% of my time on a bike.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:

I think Werner is advocating for sunglasses with 400 UV protection.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:07 PM

Authenticity is overrated.
We are not who we think we are (staring at our souls in the mirror in the morning) but what we do that defines us. I think Batman said this or some thing like this.

Quote:

Old 02-25-2020, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
We are not who we think we are (staring at our souls in the mirror in the morning) but what we do that defines us. I think Batman said this or some thing like this.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:20 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I think Werner is advocating for sunglasses with 400 UV protection.
I was thinking more like the outfit that Michael Murphy's character wore in Annie Hall when he picked Alvy up at the police station (sorry, image not available).
Old 02-25-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Batman said "Sincerity is the most important thing. Once you can fake that, you've got it made".
I think.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:20 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Being on the inside, I can see what the OP is about.

...but it's hard too 'cause you're in a different spot than your customers. To you, it's another unit moved that brings you closer to paying bills, employees, etc Yeah, it's nice to infect a new rider with enthusiasm, but ultimately, it's a business transaction

To them, it's a NEW BIKE! a gateway to freedom, and a strange new world of funny looking clothing etc. Something new. Something with exciting new dreams and challenges. ...and a steep learning curve too!

IME the key is to convey your passion in a way that the customer can understand. After all... if we weren't passionate, we wouldn't be slaving away in a bike shop for peanuts

M
Old 02-26-2020, 05:49 AM
ZhugeLiang

I think Miss Heather (the author of the article) has accidentally executed a "find and replace" command for the word "humans" with "bike shops" in the original article she wrote for a personal wellness magazine. I can quote Buddha all day long...or Jesus or Yogi Bear for that matter, but today, this morning, I feel hemmy...

Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
It was then that I felt the stars aligned and it all made sense. Bicycle shops can vary radically. It's their individuality they have in common. It's their uniqueness, ironically, that is similar.
There is no doubt 'customers' come in as many unique types as bike shops. Authenticity is great but the bottom line is the bottom line. There is also no doubt that 'customers' often choose and buy the 'bike shop' as much as the bike.
Quote:
It’s easy to win a consumer based on price, but to gain a lifelong client, we need to connect on a deeper level that involves authenticity.
NOT easy to win a customer based on price, in this inter-web based retail environment. Because by 'winning' consistently means you might not be able to make your 'nut' each month. Yes, by 'connecting' to the customer, they may want to pay more..called "great customer service", but you are going to NOT going to win a fair number, regardless of how 'authentic' you and your shop is.

Passion..I hear this all the time..doing, selling, working on what you love. Oh so many retail places and bike shops in general have gone under..why? Because the owner doesn't recognize that this 'passion' is also..a business.

I think that picture of the young lady on her first bike is wonderful, inspiring, speaks volumes...GREAT passion...BUT, if the bike wasn't sold at a decent margin, a whole legion of customers like her won't keep the lights on.

I liked the article. Great explanation as to why your business should reflect the owners passion, be 'authentic', be unique BUT..kinda wish she could have addressed the below....

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/b...egra-road-bike

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach to keep your mouth shut"..

Remember the 'truth' always comes out of drunks and babies.
Kinda the opposite of 'authentic' and along the lines of what Werner said..
Quote:

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-26-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:45 AM

Weisan you and me could be friends.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:00 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
Weisan you and me could be friends.
clyde pal, DEAL!
Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:

I completely read this with Werner's bleak, melancholic monotone and briefly remembered Timothy Treadway, which only sparked the howls of disembowelment as flesh ripped from bone.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:47 AM

Since we are quoting others to make a point, here is my take on the article:

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

This seems relevant in terms of "authenticity" as it is both sides of the coin - pretend to be authentic and you OR you can be genuinely be authentic and you are.

But in terms of what authenticity means - that is on overused concept that does note really explain anything.