Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
AFAIK, they are the same.

They are not the same. The Dura Ace is the same as XTR and Ultegra and XT are the same. They look really damn close but the mid range version is slightly bigger. The plastic shims work well enough for consumers, if you're looking for a real tool I've got you covered

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
They are not the same. The Dura Ace is the same as XTR and Ultegra and XT are the same. They look really damn close but the mid range version is slightly bigger. The plastic shims work well enough for consumers, if you're looking for a real tool I've got you covered
i have one.

man, it's really nice
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 PM
Imshi Cycles

Can't beat the Abbey tool but birzman also makes a nifty little double sided adaptor that costs around $15, could be a good option if you are only using it a couple times a year.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Yup, really nice tool, great for shops who need it all the time.
Wonder what shimano was thinkin when they made the DA/XTR cups smaller??
Old 02-26-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, really nice tool, great for shops who need it all the time.
Wonder what shimano was thinkin when they made the DA/XTR cups smaller??
Shimano has long had a stance against ceramic bearings with the reasoning being that most of the drag is in the seals. So these new bottom brackets were reduced in size to minimize the seal drag. The reason the Ultegra/XT one is slightly bigger is a little bit more unreasonable. They supposedly couldn't forge the same shape out of the different alloy that Ult/XT uses. I'm sure if they would have looked at that before releasing the DA/XTR version they would have came up with a shape that worked for both. Or maybe they always planned to do it that way, who knows.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 02-26-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
If you're looking for a real tool I've got you covered
Always buy the appropriate tool for the job. Preferably from someone like Abbey, who stands behind their stuff, and when/if something goes awry, will answer the phone with a person.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i have one.

man, it's really nice
agreed, it's perfect. as with all Abbey stuff.

while we're on the topic... been a while since I've used a Shimano BB. with the 9100 BB, should there be a decent amount of drag with it when brand new? I know it's a stupid metric but if you give the cranks a decent spin (while no chain on, obviously) they only turn maybe a couple times? seeing this with a GRX crankset. seems pretty draggy to me. wondering if it'll improve...
Old 02-26-2020, 03:56 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The 9100/9000 and BB-R60 (6800, 5800, R8000, R7000) definitely use a different sized adapter.

DA: TL-FC24
BB-R60: TL-FC25
Quote:
Thanks for correcting me.

Which are the ones that do not use the insert? Are those the SRAM GXP BBs? ... the 44mm BBs
Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Shimano has long had a stance against ceramic bearings with the reasoning being that most of the drag is in the seals. So these new bottom brackets were reduced in size to minimize the seal drag. The reason the Ultegra/XT one is slightly bigger is a little bit more unreasonable. They supposedly couldn't forge the same shape out of the different alloy that Ult/XT uses. I'm sure if they would have looked at that before releasing the DA/XTR version they would have came up with a shape that worked for both. Or maybe they always planned to do it that way, who knows.
Reminds me when I asked Wayne Stetina why shimano made their 'new' cart bearing headsets a larger stack than the older ones..making an entire generation of threaded steel forks obsolete..He shrugged his shoulders..He said shimano wanted the bearing size to be a certain size BUT cart bearing..so bigger stack height..Mr shimano didn't really care bout steel fork steerer lengths, but the design of the HS...

BUT shimano can be a real enigma. Still no headsets to this day. Took forever to make a BB 30 crank and BB(not saying that's any kinda of solution-see 'innovate' in other thread).
Chainring BCD that even w/i their own product line(older XT) that weren't intercompatible..7800/7810 DA rear hub..lotsa examples. I've always heard shimano designs in 'triangles'..the guys designing 5800 brake calipers don't talk to the 8000/ultegra group brake designers..why things like barrel adjusters aren't upper and downward compatible.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-27-2020 at 07:13 AM.