Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Do so regularly using a Hydroflask
+1

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 06:11 PM

Jetboil plus this if I'm car camping (has a drink lid, so press it and go), or Starbucks packets if I'm bikepacking (surprisingly good).
Old 02-24-2020, 07:45 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I don’t have fancy ‘gram pics but car camping setup is a Coleman 32oz French press over whatever stove I have the most fuel for (usually a whisperlite). I wanted French press because they are easy to clean in the woods and you can boil/brew in a single vessel. That’s for the mornings. Afternoons it’s a moka pot.

When backpacking it’s either French press or the Starbucks via instant.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:53 AM

For me, I like to feel like when I'm making coffee outside it took a little effort, a little time.

Sure, I could pre-grind two Porlex's worth of beans, or try some sort of instant coffee. Less to carry. Doesn't take as long.

But there's something I enjoy about the "event" and it feels right to have to do a little work for that delicious cup o joe...

Otherwise might as well just bring the coffee in a Thermos.

SPP
Old 02-25-2020, 04:05 AM

For minimalist bike packing I've also been using Starbucks Via powdered instant or even supermarket are surprisingly good. Packs to nothing. No grounds, no clean up. There is the space age plasticy waste though that you eventually have to throw away so may want to discontinue.

For camping I use MSR mugmate. It's just a basket strainer that sits in the hot water in your cup. The coffee steeps in the manner of french press, which I use at home, so is similar as far as texture/flavor. The "press" part of french press is only for straining the coffee anyway.

Last edited by marciero; 02-25-2020 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:06 AM
aka RAEKWON

Its been awhile since I have done it, usually do it when I bikepack (and it has been 2 years since I have done that - have to get back into it). I use an aero press of course. Hario grinder for grinding beans but I sometimes pre grind them because don't want to bring it, if its a short trip and I have space, I bring the grinder.

To me, short of a nice well pulled espresso, aero press makes the best coffee.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:39 AM

Those Starbucks via packets (and other single-serve instant packets) are decidedly not recyclable and 100% not biodegradable. They are convenient, but for some plastic that will literally never biodegrade (without some special technology or plastic-eating microbes. Don't @ me)? Take the time to make actual coffee, please. Or buy instant coffee in a jar or large container and portion it out yourself in a reusable container. This should be a no-brainer for a thread talking about how much we enjoy being in the outdoors...

If you really must have that level of convenience, Sudden Coffee makes a similar product with a recyclable cap and biodegradable container.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave View Post
Those Starbucks via packets (and other single-serve instant packets) are decidedly not recyclable and 100% not biodegradable. They are convenient, but for some plastic that will literally never biodegrade (without some special technology or plastic-eating microbes. Don't @ me)? Take the time to make actual coffee, please. Or buy instant coffee in a jar or large container and portion it out yourself in a reusable container. This should be a no-brainer for a thread talking about how much we enjoy being in the outdoors...

If you really must have that level of convenience, Sudden Coffee makes a similar product with a recyclable cap and biodegradable container.
in the same vein, i must say, my home vegetable garden did awesome this year, and i'm attributing part of that to my composting efforts. i compost all my old coffee grounds, paper filter and all. i think it turbo charge-caffeinated my garden this year
Old 02-25-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
in the same vein, i must say, my home vegetable garden did awesome this year, and i'm attributing part of that to my composting efforts. i compost all my old coffee grounds, paper filter and all. i think it turbo charge-caffeinated my garden this year
Coffee grounds have a lot of nitrogen (they are the "green" in your compost green/brown balance), so this makes sense. They end up in our compost, too. Make sure you balance them with carbon-dense compost items (brown, like dead leaves, cardboard etc) to keep things in check! If you do vermicomposting (worms) those little buggers love some spent coffee grounds.

Fodder for a separate thread, but there are lots of good reusable filters now, too! We use one in our chemex at home and our aeropress when camping/bikepacking.

Since I've bugged everyone about the environment, I'll chime in with my coffee outside setup

- MSR PocketRocket 2 stove
- MSR Titan kettle
- Hario hand grinder
- Aeropress + Cremacraft disk coffee filter (Classic)
Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave View Post
Fodder for a separate thread, but there are lots of good reusable filters now, too!
yea, i've tried a few of them.

they definitely, in my experience, result in a different coffee flavor, as i think they pass through more of the "oils" that a paper filter would absorb?

not better or worse, just different taste with a paper filter vs a steel washable one.

i prefer the paper filter for pour over.

from an environmental standpoint, i think the compostable paper filter might win, as i'd have to wash that re-usable filter with hot water, and i compost 100% of my filters, so there is no waste there, though they do have to get manufactured and shipped.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:31 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

We use a chemex pourover at home. Any recomendations on reusable filters? We've tried the CoffeeSock and it made gross coffee. I'm okay with "different" tastes to the coffee, the CoffeeSock made the coffee undrinkable. We're not able to compost right now.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Jet boil. Floyds Leadville CBD coffee, 11oz Oatly.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:27 AM

Can anyone recommend a high-quality instant coffee for the trail?

There are outings where I don't want to carry a stove and brew system but still need an acceptable cup to start the day. I see products like Alpine Start and others but haven't experimented.

Instagram
Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
Looks like someone needed a hand...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
LOOOL

+1 on the Moka Pot though.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Can anyone recommend a high-quality instant coffee for the trail?

There are outings where I don't want to carry a stove and brew system but still need an acceptable cup to start the day. I see products like Alpine Start and others but haven't experimented.
Medaglia D'oro espresso instant. It has been very popular with backpackers for years but judging from this thread isn't well known in the cycling community. Krogers affiliated stores carry the small containers but it sells out quickly in areas catering to outdoor adventurers.

https://www.kingsoopers.com/p/medagl...MaAoz0EALw_wcB

Last edited by gdw; 02-25-2020 at 11:16 AM.